Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org may be running out of time  (Read 8247 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Amiga.org may be running out of time
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 10:18:45 PM »
well transfering data via XML should never be a problem given that XML is just palin text
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline nasty

• Show only replies by nasty
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 10:18:48 PM »
well if i can find an old install of xoops 2. I dont mind testing it on my php5 server.
Specs:
A1200PT, mediator c/w voodoo 3 2000, sb128, 60G HDD,OS3.9,LITEON CDR, nec 4x4 changer,External Scan Doubler,Cocolino adapter,PS2 keyboard adaptor.

Morphos 2.6, mini mac g4 @ 1.25ghz.

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 11:01:19 PM »
Just to be very clear, it doesn't matter what host we use, or whether we co-locate.  PHP 4.x stopped dev 2 years ago, meaning they just stopped the support/update cycle.  No more updates.  No updates.  No security patches.  No other host in their right time would offer PHP 4.

It's just time to do something different (if Xoops and PHP 5 don't like one another.)

Wayne

Offline nasty

• Show only replies by nasty
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 11:13:15 PM »
http://gtawip.net/xoops2test/

seem to work fine together.(PHP Version 5.2.5)
Specs:
A1200PT, mediator c/w voodoo 3 2000, sb128, 60G HDD,OS3.9,LITEON CDR, nec 4x4 changer,External Scan Doubler,Cocolino adapter,PS2 keyboard adaptor.

Morphos 2.6, mini mac g4 @ 1.25ghz.

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 11:16:10 PM »
I would not mind it if Amiga.org had to restart itself.  Sure it would be bad in a way because of the entire archive and what we all built up, but then a new Amiga.org would give us a chance and more access to more feature-rich website instead of trying to make it as compatible with amiga web browsers.  Not trying to filter out current amiga users, but by now, I hope that most have a PC or a MAC or Linux for web browsing.  Anymore you need flash to view videos or java to play some fun and addicting game.

But I give it a thumbs up if Amiga.org had to be restarted.  As long as you got the backup of Amiga.org it should be fine.  I do all my web browsing on a PC anyways.

Dont mean to upset anyone here. :)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 11:31:13 PM »
This is sad news indeed. I don't own a PC or a Mac, so if Amiga.org stops working in IBrowse, I probably won't be able to come back here. I may not have the highest post count, but I do know my way around Amigas better than most people, and have always tried to help whenever someone has a problem I know the solution to. I also enjoy browsing through the recent topics every morning from my A1200, which I use every day for the work I do, as well as for pleasure.

I guess now I'm hoping for a new version of IBrowse for 68k that supports whatever system this forum ends up using.

Good luck, Wayne, I hope you can sort out a solution that'll work for the Amiga guys as well as the PC/Mac crowd.  If luck doesn't help, then may the Force be with you.
Amiga user forever.

Offline AmigaMance

• Show only replies by AmigaMance
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 12:21:41 AM »
I think that the 8% figure is totally misleading because it reffers to the percentage of internet users who just visit this site, not to the percentage of the people who are actually registered and participate.
 It's not my forum anyway and i could be wrong. Good luck..

A1200 PPC user.

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 12:28:18 AM »
Its going to be difficult moving the forum over to Drupal I think.

Pages (newsposts) and images Is not a problem I think, I just spent the last two weeks importing data from a custom ASP based CMS over to a fresh Drupal install and some parts are kinda tricky to import (most obvious comments and forum parts).

If you decide to go for Drupal check out the module 'Node Import' it will help you import pages from a CVS-file into Drupal without messing directly in the database.

Also, Drupal is not the most easy system to learn but its a good alternative for a future site IMHO.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 01:43:17 AM »
I'm not going to complain if things change. Unless maybe if the site goes Flash or Shockwave only or something. Maybe a solution to backwards compatibility is to have a text only version page that spits out a latest posts style list for those that can't use the new stuff. Best I can reckon (being a lay style person in the matter) is that the problem is that there is a security issue with people trying to post information in old style ways so older computer people would be in a read-only situation, which is better than nothing. Better yet, if the new system is already readable via old methods anyway, no special page needs to be generated and people that can't post or search or login or whatever will figure that out and perhaps then consider upgrading to something newery.

Is there anything on OS4 that's compatible with what we're about to be forced to use?

----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 04:40:36 AM »
Guys,

I hear the panic, and I understand the feelings going on here.  There are a lot of great ideas, and some not so great.  Unfortunately, none of you so far seem to grasp the intricacy and thin web of "oh dear god, don't break" that keep this site running now as it is.

I'm *not* advocating moving to another CMS.  I'm hoping that one morning I wake up to a working site and a note from Chuck which says "oh, btw, we migrated your site to the new superduper server last night".  That being said, I would be horribly remiss in my duties if I didn't prepare for the worst.

Love the snarky "this is the fact" attitude of some, but again, until we have to make a change, nothing except backups changes.  None of you know, and I simply don't know how to explain properly what I'm thinking might happen.

Yes. It may work just fine.  Cool.  Ok.  If that's the case, you should all be happy using the same old site that never changes or updates to do anything new.  

As a web developer, I'm always looking for a better way to do things, and frankly, I gave up on trying to update the site years ago because of the 8% of all browsers using the site which are on the Amiga (according to the stats) who would raise unholy hell if we moved to a more modern and capable system.

To me, I look at the site and all I see is something that never changes.  Strictly speaking, that's "ergonomically discomforting" to someone who usually takes pride in their constant sense of change.

It's 2009.  It's been -- I believe -- 24 years since the birth of the Amiga, and 15 since the death of Commodore.  I'm *not* in any way trying to dissuade a single member of the Amiga faithful here from enjoying their hobby.  

Hell, I just bought a Dell Mini 9 specifically to load Mac OS X on, so I know from hobbies.  There are no new Amigas, outside of at least a couple of wannabes, but facts are facts, and even if there were, I'm only aware (I think) of one single new browser out there, but if you're on a classic, you're screwed.

I love the classic Amiga.  I grew up on one, and I owe a lot to the little machine that taught me most of what I know, but even if the PHP 5.x upgrade goes flawlessly, then what?  We (this site) can't stay the same forever.  It just can't if it wants to survive.

If I had my wish, I'd find a way to build a whole new site around the existing data and use it just as is, while re-orienting Amiga.org into what I *always* (since 1994) pictured it as, and that is what I'd call a "cooperative friend-based networking site".  More of a Facebook than a MySpace, but not really either.  Something different and completely unique.

A site designed to help each of you interact with one another in such a way that you actually establish friendships, rather than just warring over [insert your favorite target here] on the forums.

This community has reached a stage in life where it NEEDS something to change.  I *loathe* the idea of leaving the few remaining classic Amiga users behind as much as the next guy, but at what point do we say "enough is enough, time to buy a newer computer (such as a Pegasos or whatever clone may be available)".

Seriously.  Stop trying to convince yourself (and me) that everything is perfect and ask yourself what you'd like to see supporting the Amiga community.  Chances and glances are that the current Web site isn't it.

Trouble is though, even the latest Xoops, whatever its version, hasn't changed THAT much to warrant all the work to move to it.  The major changes being that they moved to CSS-oriented themes and use a LOT more Javascript which the Amiga is either too weak to process, or in most cases, can't process at all.

Parts of me wish that we'd never migrated from 1.x, which is what -- as I understand it -- Amigaworld still runs.  At least then, we'd have a more logical code base and the  hackers and spammers might have completely forgotten about bothering with it.  

This is not a treat we share, as 80% of all new accounts are bogus, and the site is pretty much hammered by script kiddies every single day.

It's simple.  If Xoops 2.0.7 works with PHP 5, I'll just shrink into the background again and let you guys enjoy the antiquated site this has become.  Otherwise, it's not worth the trouble to upgrade to Xoops 2.**, so, that just leaves "change".

Sorry about this rant guys, it's late and I just watched a really deep movie ("Knowing") so I'm a little philosophical.  If anything, I'm deeply moved by the fact that everyone who's responded cares so much what happens.

I started out with the intent just to warn you of the potential for change.  Now, I'm just not so sure that change wouldn't be for the better.

Wayne

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 04:48:27 AM »
I was actually thinging about this a year ago. As was someone at AROS-EXEC. They had the target of going to Joomla. Just didn't know how to do the data migration. I think it looks possible. Just got hit with a case of life and was busy with other things for afew months. Sorry for flaking out on that.
Might be something to revisit.

I believe I still have the Xoops version AROS-EXEC uses installed. It is not too far off the version AO uses. I'll check and see what it does under PHP5.

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 04:57:02 AM »
Hey Argo,

Long time no see.  Other than that, my only comment would be "Oh DEAR GOD NOT Joomla!"

(I use Joomla for a work project and find it extremely frustrating. Granted, it's Joomla 1.0 not 1.5.x, but still)

Wayne

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 05:57:12 AM »

Wayne wrote:

(I use Joomla for a work project and find it extremely frustrating. Granted, it's Joomla 1.0 not 1.5.x, but still)

Don't know why, but that made me chuckle :lol:

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 07:04:00 AM »
I don't recall Joomla 1.5 looking that bad. Granted that was about a year ago. I'm more of a fan of PHPWebsite.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »
My opinion on this: Preservation of the old content must have 100% priority. This site is not a simple chat type of thing where information looses its value over time. Instead, it has grown to a huge knowledge base around the Amiga technology. Whatever Amiga-related problem you encounter, you will probably find the solution here. So, migrating to a completely different CMS and starting from scratch really isn't an option.

AFAIK, lower 5.x PHP versions have a compatibilty switch that enables PHP4 compatibilty. I'll see if I can find it somewhere. If this is not possible for some kind of reason, I suggest going the way Chaoslord mentioned.

Chaoslord wrote:

There is a migration path from Xoops 2.0 to 3.0.
There is a migration path from Xoops 3.0 to 4.0.
There is a migration path from Xoops 4.0 to 5.0.
There is a migration path from Xoops 5.0 to 6.0.

Loosing classic Amiga browser support is still better than loosing the content. The information collected here over the years is invaluable.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 21, 2009, 11:25:05 AM »
Why not run AO off a virtual machine that uses php4?

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.