Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Here we go,....  (Read 1568 times)

Description:

Offline zektorTopic starter

• Show only replies by zektor
Here we go,....
« on: March 07, 2009, 03:36:10 PM »
Maybe I should have posted HERE first :)

Hi all! A little background on myself:

Been into Commodore machines since the early 80's with the Vic-20. Moved over to the C64 and *lived* in that scene for many years (I went by Dice/NTT in those days..."Entity" demo group). I purchased my Amiga 500 while still actively in the C64 scene, and for a brief period fiddled with both machines until finally migration completely over to the Amiga 500. I was a member for a short time of a demo group here as well (Dice/Awesome) but mostly played around with BBS'ing and of course the gaming aspect of the machine.

That is the extremely short and sweet version of my history, but the one thing that is for sure is that the Amiga (500 in particular) is a machine that I hold very dearly to my heart. Many great memories. After not owning an Amiga since probably about 1994, I recently re-purchased my trusty A500. I quickly discovered all of the advancements that have been made in the ways of emulation, adf file transfer, HD loading via WHDLoad...simply amazing. I did modify the machine slightly, such as replacing the kick 1.3 with 3.1...something I did not do back then. I also repaired an expansion card's clock battery to display correct time. No big mods by any means, but I feel a small sense of accomplishment :)

Well, just saying hello to everyone out there in Amiga land!

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
Re: Here we go,....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 04:40:53 PM »
@zektor

Welcome to Amiga.org.  Thanks for sharing some info about yourself.

My first Amiga was an A2000HD.  About 4 years and 3 months ago, I purchased a MicroA1 and have been running OS4 since.  Currently using OS 4.1.

I live in western Canada.  It is snowing again here today.  

---
redfox

Offline RRunner

• Show only replies by RRunner
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
I live in Ontario Canada. It was 15 deg C here yesterday and all of our snow is gone! Nooooooo.......
-=>The RoadRunner<=-
A2000 030/40Mhz, 8Mb RAM, 1GB HD
AmiKit

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:33:02 PM »
Welcome to A.org.  I also migrated from the C-64 around 1986 to a beautiful A500.  I loved the DEMO scene (still love it) and from the a500 went to a A2000 then A1200.  Now I own an A500, 2000HD, A3000 (expanded a lot), A1000 (also expanded), A4000 (currently repairing it and upgrading it), as well as Amiga forever on my laptop and PC:).  You're history was interesting and if you have any demos you had worked on back then how about sharing them with us:) or any new Demos :).

Offline Claw22000

• Show only replies by Claw22000
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:26:12 AM »
I take it you spent a lot of time working in programing environments on both systems.  How similar are they and how easy is it to learn.  I do know some C++ and some XBE programing.  AKA Microsoft XNA Studio.  Also Q and Visual Basic.  I would like to think that after all is said and done.  When my Amiga is finally where I want it to be I may start to program for it.  But defenetly will need to know where to start.

Thanks
Claw
A1200/3.1Rom/60GigHD/2MBChip/64MBFast/ACA123028Mhz/WiFiMA401/ClassicWBv26w
CD32/SX1/30GigHD/2MBChip/ClassicWBv26w/3.1OS/SX1 isn\'t allowing fast ram :(

Offline zektorTopic starter

• Show only replies by zektor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 03:35:23 AM »
Well, to tell you the truth, I did not do much programming at all in those days. I did some scroll texts and some graphic work, but my main function was distribution of the demos through the WHQ at that time "The Wrong Number"..which of course was mine. Running on a Lt Kernal 20MB, a few 1541 and 1581's, and running a custom modified Ivory BBS. I do recall one of the last modifications I did to the software was a joystick controlled interface. So, the caller(s) would be able to navigate the BBS menus with a joystick :)

I would have to hand the primary coding trophy to the head of our group, XynamaX. Great guy, and one hell of a programming genius.

*Some* of the Entity demos are here, although there are some more (I believe two more if I recall) that are not here but can be found on the net if you look around. I also was VERY breifly a member of another demo group called "Gore", and I think one demo is somewhere there as well:

ftp://ftp.pitt.edu/software/cbm/funet/cbm/c64/demos/ntsc/Entity/index.html

I remember one of the demos has a 12 scrolltext screen (or more, can't recall) and there is one scrolltext that is just the lyrics to "Go To Hell" by Megadeth. I popped that one in because I had nothing to say at the time :)

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:05:24 PM »
Welcome to Amiga.org.

I never owned a C64, but did envy my neighbor for his Vic-20.
My first Amiga was a bare bones 2000. Loved it.