Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pro video production on Amiga?  (Read 8076 times)

Description:

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
Re: Pro video production on Amiga?
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 30, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »
In theory:
Could it be possible to do SW emulation of Video Toaster Flyer HW, so that Video Toaster Flyer SW could be used on PPC Amigas?

In real life:
How huge task it would be? :-?  :crazy:  :-?

AND THE NEXT STEP:
How big task it would be to redirect/route VTF Zorro I/O over ethernet, so that VTF-HW could be on some other "Amiga" or done by SW emulation on another x86 computer.

AND PERHAPS:
Re-implement the VTF HW in FPGA?
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »
True 320x240 is the resolution of a typical phone or web broadcast, but it would look pretty bad on your 1080 TV.

Also analogue video has a bit of a mushy look compared with the clean signal of digital.  

So the question is, is it harder to port a modern video editor (Open Movie Producer) to the various Amiga platforms (AROS, OS4.1 Pegasos) or to take an already Amiga program, make it work on modern Amiga platforms and add modern video features?

AmigaPixel wrote:

persia wrote:
You don't find analogue sources very much anymore but yes the Toaster still allows you to mix analogue video. Of course it's 4x3 and all video nowadays is 16x9.

Again with using DVD recorders, you don't need rely on analog devices as long as you can connect with composite cables. Many DVD recorders have Fire wire and one button recording so it is easy to transfer your digital video to DVD. Then into the Toaster/Flyer, as for the 16x9 ratio I believe there is a simple way to adjust the resolution for that. Also the video could be used online in the 4x3, many online videos are no more than 320x240. :-)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 03:12:14 PM »
@orb85750

Sadly no one has spent the money or time to convert the Amiga Video Toaster Flyer manuals into PDF's.

Offline orb85750Topic starter

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »

Pyromania wrote:
@orb85750

Sadly no one has spent the money or time to convert the Amiga Video Toaster Flyer manuals into PDF's.

In the absence of a manual, are there any decent resources for learning how to use it?  Thanks.

Offline Animagic

• Show only replies by Animagic
    • http://www.pointer-digital.com
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2009, 05:33:19 PM »
To be honest, the only thing that amiga does and does well (even today) is live graphics over video. Something like an SD realtime (live) titler, except you can add as many graphics as you want.

So, if you are intrested in that, get a A1200, 4MB RAM, an HD, ScalaMM400 and a Neriki or G2 component genlock and you are ready  :-P
Greek Amiga User Group Amiga Hellas
You can find me on #amigahellas IRC channel on GRnet.

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2009, 07:12:14 PM »

yssing wrote:
I am sorry, but DVD crecorders is so yesteryear :)
USe HD or Blueray.. you can have much better quality and store much bigger movies...

Huh? I don't know who you are, but you ain't Steve Spielberg :)

VideoCD - maybe not all the resolution you want, but all the resolution you NEED!!  :-D

Offline persia

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline AmigaPixel

• Show only replies by AmigaPixel
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2009, 03:27:06 AM »

persia wrote:
True 320x240 is the resolution of a typical phone or web broadcast, but it would look pretty bad on your 1080 TV.

Also analogue video has a bit of a mushy look compared with the clean signal of digital.  

I have been told by Toaster/Flyer users that as long as you have a good DV source it scales up very nicely on a HDTV. The Toaster uses 752x480 with overscan.

Obviously if you want to work with pure digital and HD video, then currently the Mac and pc are the only way to go until some one ports the software over to OS4.1. I was hoping that If OS 4.1 and the Sam 440ep start selling more, even as a nich market that Newtek would port over the new VT5 to Amiga OS. Or allow a third party to do it. It doesn't seem like it would be to hard for a skilled programmer, especially since the new Amiga hardware has PCI slots. Speed Edit alone would be a prize on the Amiga, it is resolution independent. :-D

Offline persia

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2009, 04:31:15 AM »
And I should be able to plug a 12 cylinder engine into a mini cooper and race it in Formula One.  After all it is a car.

A port of Open Video Editor would be a thousand times more useful than VT5.  How many people want to edit live video streams?  What would be useful is the ability to edit digital video sources, the TV is digital, all my cameras are digital, I only have DVDs, I haven't seen a VHS tape is so long I doubt I would recognise it if I did.  AND the internet id full of digital video.

We're 20 years on from the age of Amiga and NewTek.  The computer market has changed and with it NewTek's market.  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline AmigaPixel

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2009, 04:55:52 AM »

persia wrote:
And I should be able to plug a 12 cylinder engine into a mini cooper and race it in Formula One.  After all it is a car.

A port of Open Video Editor would be a thousand times more useful than VT5.  How many people want to edit live video streams?  What would be useful is the ability to edit digital video sources, the TV is digital, all my cameras are digital, I only have DVDs, I haven't seen a VHS tape is so long I doubt I would recognise it if I did.  AND the internet id full of digital video.

We're 20 years on from the age of Amiga and NewTek.  The computer market has changed and with it NewTek's market.  

I wonder where the driver would sit? :-D

Indeed your are right though it has changed. Newtek has done well to keep up with and even advance the digital video market on the PC platform. The beauty of The VT both past and present is that it could serve different needs. Many never even really use the live switching and streaming, but instead use it for post production editing and special effects. While others , mostly television studios use it for either or both. The Tonight Show used it for years. The advantage over other software only solutions is the complete integrated suite of tools including Lightwave 3D and the possible direct hardware connections. The new VT has digital as well as analog switchers. Again your right it probably is a lot more than most would need.

Offline AmigaPixel

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2009, 04:58:41 AM »
I am pretty happy with Pinnacle systems Studio 9 Plus and look forward to getting Studio 12 Plus. But if I had the money for toys I would get a VT5.

Offline Sig999

• Show only replies by Sig999
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »

Pyromania wrote:
@Sig999

Don't forget the Flyer card for the Amiga Video Toaster. Then decks are no longer needed and the dream of real time tapeless editing is at hand on Amiga OS.

That 'dream' has been my reality for over a decade.. and standard practice on any modern system.  I think the money and time spent tracking one down isn't worth it, for something that is considered standard in this day and age.

Especially considering the topic of this thread.. PRO video production.  Now with things going over to HD, doubly so - money and time better invested in a FCP system with a KONA card if you ask me.

Offline Sig999

• Show only replies by Sig999
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »

hardlink wrote:

Sig999 wrote:
 ... It would be a very very poor choice and they'd end up wasting time and money.

Well, I suppose I made those poor choices and am wasting time and money, but I sure am having a blast doing it!

And more power to you - however I'm sticking to the topic of the thread 'PRO VIDEO PRODUCTION'.

I mess around programming in asm on my Ami 2000 constantly - but I'd never put it down as 'Professional Programming' anymore.. 20 years ago sure!, now, no.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2009, 08:46:29 AM »
Sig999

If you love ASM programming why not take a peak at the ASM parts of the Open Video Toaster code?