Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pro video production on Amiga?  (Read 8089 times)

Description:

Offline orb85750Topic starter

• Show only replies by orb85750
Pro video production on Amiga?
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:50:11 PM »
Is some manifestation(s) of Amiga capable of modern, pro-quality video production, say from straight
documentary production all the way up to art film with specialized effects, etc.  (Wasn't Amiga the original artists' computer?)  What hardware/OS and specific software is available?  

Offline Sig999

• Show only replies by Sig999
Re: Pro video production on Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 07:14:56 PM »
In the 90's Video Toaster made quite a splash in production as a very affordable editing system.

However... Modern in the 90's... not modern 'today'.

Nowadays putting one together would be quite expensive and underpowered compared to other alternatives.

If you want to play with such a system just to capture the nostalgia... to see what you can do with an older system (I'm guilty of that myself programming a classic in 68k when I could do things faster and better in flash) then more power to you! Enjoy!

If you're looking to actually do professional work in the industry - your dollars are better spent elsewhere.

(I expect a fair amount of flak for saying that - but it's the truth - based on using various systems in professional video and film production for the last 15 years).

Offline davideo

• Show only replies by davideo
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
The original Classic Casablanca is a non-linear video editor based on the Amiga.

I used (still have it but don't use it much nowadays) it up until a few years ago when I moved over to DVCAM filming. I now use my PC as my editor and DVD writer.

Hence my handle on the various boards :-)  

Dave G  8-)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 07:58:18 PM »

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 08:14:41 PM »
>>>>>>Nowadays putting one together would be quite expensive and underpowered compared to other alternatives.>>>>>>

Can you elaborate a bit on what is available, if one does not mind spending the extra money, due to my aspirations for Amiga loyalty?  Thanks.

Offline Sig999

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 08:57:23 PM »
how do you want me to elaborate?

The video toaster at its base level is an A/B roll mixer pretty much... requiring now archaic hardware to use - and at the end of the day you're going to be slaved to decks with a bunch of outdated wipe and mix effects.
Todays systems are faster, cheaper, more reliable, easier to use, and afford many more options in the way of effects, color correction, and compositing capabilities.

You could spend even more money for the flyer and get rudimentary non-linear capabilities.. but again - slow, outdated, and will cost you even more when the near 20yr hardware fails.

Forget about HD or non standard formats.
Forget about any of the advantages to new technology used by things like XD cam (where I treat the deck itself like a harddrive and bypass digitizing all together)
Forget about using firewire too...
Forget about doing any kind of modern compositing effects - that have been made trivial to todays editors with programs like after effects.

Not to mention storage... being slaved to old small drives slung in a tower case when you could get many many many times the storage capacity for your projects much much cheaper today.

I mean if you want to tinker around with home vids - more power to you, but professional..... Forget it.

A handful of years ago I'd have suggested the toaster as a cheap alternative if you wanted to do live switching.. but I can't even do that anymore with switching boards going as low as 500 that work with modern systems..

as for whats available - fire up google and type 'video editing'

theres everything from low end software for small PC's from Avid, Adobe and others, all the way up to high end Avid and Final Cut systems.

There's too many available for such a wide range of prices-power-needs to list.

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:46:31 PM »
If you can locate a complete toaster/flyer/ImageFX/camera/deck setup for cheap, go for it. It'll have a nostalgia factor and you have basic capabilities for video production.

As much as I wanted to go that route, I've had to go with PC/Pinnacle Studio12 (or Win Movie Maker)/cheap digital camera to produce hobby videos for YouTube.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:12:14 PM »
OK, so there is no digital option of any kind available for any kind of Amiga-compatible set-up?  Is that correct?  Thanks.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 10:16:28 PM »

orb85750 wrote:
OK, so there is no digital option of any kind available for any kind of Amiga-compatible set-up?  Is that correct?  Thanks.

The Amiga predates the digital world.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 10:33:59 PM »

bloodline wrote:

orb85750 wrote:

Right, but just wondering if *anything*
has become available in terms of digital
video for Amiga (even public domain) since
the good ole days.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 10:38:15 PM »

orb85750 wrote:

bloodline wrote:

orb85750 wrote:

Right, but just wondering if *anything*
has become available in terms of digital
video for Amiga (even public domain) since
the good ole days.

Digital Video work requires Hispeed Harddrives, Powerful CPUs and 32bit GFX all of which never made it to the Amiga.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 10:40:27 PM »
@orb85750
Right, but just wondering if *anything* has become available in terms of digital video for Amiga (even public domain) since the good ole days.

No

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 10:42:58 PM »
The commercial tapes for the VT say something about attaching a couple of VCR's as part of putting your television studio together. VT was invented to handle real-time whatnots, and nobody was doing non-linear until the Flyer came around. I'd say that the Video Toaster will be still useful as a broadcast quality switcher/real-time editing thingamabob until the current standard definition video becomes obsolete.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Sig999

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »

weirdami wrote:
The commercial tapes for the VT say something about attaching a couple of VCR's as part of putting your television studio together. VT was invented to handle real-time whatnots, and nobody was doing non-linear until the Flyer came around. I'd say that the Video Toaster will be still useful as a broadcast quality switcher/real-time editing thingamabob until the current standard definition video becomes obsolete.

The VT and subsequent Flyer were very instrumental in bring the power of video editing to new levels of functionality and affordability, and nothing is ever going to change it's place in history

...however I do feel compelled to dispute some of the mis-information that appears at A.org with some regularity.

The first TRUE non linear editor was the CMX 600 in 1971..
although nowhere near as functional as what would follow it - it does have the distinction of being first.

LucasFilms Editdroid did come closer - in the early 80's

Quantel took it further around 1985 with a video effects editor

In 1989, however, the EMC2 and the Avid/1 (the first in the Media Composer line) were released.. it would be hard to dispute these as non-linear editing systems by todays standards.

This was before the Toaster came out (1990) - let alone the Flyer that would bring non linear editing to it.

Further - Adobe Premier was released in 1991 (although the initial version was far from useful...)

If someone already HAD one - I'd say sure, great cheap garage solution for switching.. maybe doing some editing... however, I couldn't (and wouldn't) recommend anyone wanting to buy or build a system going anywhere near the hardware.

It would be a very very poor choice and they'd end up wasting time and money.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 11:41:28 PM »
Who ever said that VT was the first non-linear editor?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.