Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FreeCIV site temporarily closed  (Read 913 times)

Description:

Offline levelLORDTopic starter

• Show only replies by levelLORD
FreeCIV site temporarily closed
« on: September 03, 2003, 06:17:36 AM »
I can't belive this?!?! First it was FreeCraft, now FreeCIV. Whatever. This is the message I got from www.freeciv.org. Hope that is just really temporary.

This page is temporarily closed in protest against software patents. Websites may soon be closed down regularly due to software patents. Software patents can get you prosecuted for publishing texts you wrote yourself!

Regards,

levelLORD

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: FreeCIV site temporarily closed
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 06:40:32 AM »
Try http://www.freeciv.org/real_index.phtml
They are just joining a large protest against patents in the EU.
It was covers on here a few days ago.
http://amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44732
On all the protest pages there is a link to get into the site as it ussually is. They have just set a new index page not closed.

Offline xyth

• Show only replies by xyth
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 06:44:12 AM »
Hey I never realized there was a FreeCraft!  I'm assuming there's an Amiga port - what does one need (hardware/software/etc) to run it and where do I get it?
Amiga 1230/50 + 34MB  (OS3.5 + DOpus 5.82)

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 08:20:03 AM »
I didn't know that. Thx for revealing me that. I'm sorry about posting FreeCiv thing then, since I didn't know that rest of you guys already know this.
Anyways, wow, this all looks like a preparation for a Microsoft's new OS and TCPA in the Europe, and after that probably for the rest of the world. Dark Ages of computing is going to be a reality, not just some Sci-Fi story. Third question is particulary interesting (from the IOspirit's intreview),  since I found this article how Dell patents re-booting procedure! That is really and truly amazing story, since re-booting procedure is something which exist before Dell or any of this lame computer-money hungry-manufacturers. Just read the story...
Here is the link.

http://bbspot.com/News/2003/08/dell_tech_support.html

Regards,

levelLORD

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 09:00:57 AM »
@levelLORD

I think you need to take what you read on the web a little less seriously.  :-P
Bill Hoggett

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 10:51:48 AM »
@bhoggett

Well, maybe you are right, but still, I have feeling that things are actually moving in the different direction. I'm certain that Microsoft is doing everything to bring internet, as a next logical step after the browes wars, closer to them, and make it it's own playground. How can you dominate OS market if there is Linux, MacOS or all the other OS's? Easy way for this dream is TCPA, absolute control over everything, and later probably more. My personal opinion is that regular Win Users don't care what will happen, as long as they can run games, play movies, or whatever they are doing with computer. Call me paranoid, I don't care :) Maybe you are right, I wish you are :)))

Is this a little bit off-topic? :)

Take care,

levelLORD

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 02:01:04 PM »
Re: Amiga FreeCraft

I don't remember the exact site, but I recall getting it from the same place that hosts Amiga ports of UAE. The messageboard-based site. I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about. :-)
It says "the Forum that's free," or the like, on most pages.

Amiga FreeCraft is, sadly, extremely buggy and you have to manually extract game data from the original on the WarCraft2 CD on a PC. It crawls on my 060. You need CGFX/P96 as well. I've crashed the system every time I've tried it.

Still, it's a good effort and useful for experimentation. I hope to see more releases.