Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MIDI advice please  (Read 1338 times)

Description:

Offline AmidufferTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
MIDI advice please
« on: November 30, 2008, 06:49:59 AM »
Hi.

We have a KORG SP200 keyboard at the office. Since I have a spare A3000, I had the idea of setting up a little MIDI studio, which would be a little fun, since everyone here likes to tease me about my using Amigas. Getting a MIDI connector wouldn't be trouble, and Bars and Pipes is free, so I'm just curious, do you need special drivers for brands like KORG or would B&P handle it by itself? I couldn't see anything mentioned of it on Aminet or Wolf Fausts site. Thanks.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline Jambalah

• Show only replies by Jambalah
Re: MIDI advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 08:49:46 AM »
Hi Amiduffer!
Bars & Pipes is able to pilot evrything is MIDI. So you shouldn't have any problem (conditional oblige... Somethimes we are sure about bul...ts too!).
Btw, here you are two interesting and useful (I think) links, one with B&P tools and the other with online manual (be patient: there are broken links... :-))

Bars&Pipes_1

Bars&Pipes_2

Happy music! :-)
All things are doable in a better way, even those well done.
One can figure out the others......

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »
Hi Amiduffer,

Just had a quick look at the SP200. It appears to have standard MIDI in and out ports, so it should be MIDI controllable with a standard MIDI interface and your A3000.

MIDI is really a communications standard, and doesn't require specific drivers to format the control codes for different types of equipment. You may need a driver for your Amiga to use a MIDI interface, depending on which one you use. Many Amiga MIDI interfaces also do not require drivers.

If you can handle a bit of electronics, there are some decent and cheap DIY MIDI interface designs available, which work seamlessly with B&P.

I used to use A3000s and A1200s for MIDI control, but did run into some issues with modern synths not being strictly MIDI standards compliant. The synths included additional proprietary format data bytes in their MIDI out stream, which my Amigas/sequencers could not handle. However, those synths would still handle the MIDI control data from the Amiga, just not the other way around.

Hopefully you won't have that problem with the SP200, but thought it was worth a mention. Also, I think B&P was developed into much more mature product than the sequencer I was using, so it may cope with this issue anyway.

Good luck.

-Oli
Good good study, day day up!

Offline AmidufferTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 07:27:45 PM »
Yep, its got the standard MIDI ports. Thanks. I hope this works out.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.