Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello from South Africa  (Read 15587 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Hello from South Africa
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »
Lots of South Africans here in Oz, no Amiga users amongst them that I know of.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline frootloopTopic starter

• Show only replies by frootloop
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 06:43:38 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Its good to to see that the Amiga is alive and well, given the enthusiasm I see here!

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 08:55:51 PM »
@frootloop

Welcome.  I'm from Canada.  Lived in Zambia for a few years between 1969 and 1972.  I was a teenager then.  One time, my brother and I visited South Africa on a short holiday.  We were on our own.  While in SA, we travelled by train.  One time my brother boarded the wrong train car, which caused a bit of a fuss.  It was a good holiday, we visited many interesting places in SA, but we were glad to get back home to Mom and Dad in Zambia.

I can imagine that both Zambia and South Africa are quite different now.

---
redfox

Offline duffsta

• Show only replies by duffsta
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 10:32:09 PM »
Hi mate iam from new zealand i was in south africa end of last year with my Fiance she is from mossel bay, we stayed in cape town and mossel bay and visted other parts very nice country i wanna go back :)
i asked if they heard of amigas seemed they didnt pcs all they knew. what part you from?

Offline frootloopTopic starter

• Show only replies by frootloop
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 08:35:23 AM »
Not surprising really - the Amiga was never really popular here :( Mossel Bay is quite nice in Summer .. but I usually go further up the coast to Knysna if I can .. its one of my gavourite spots in the country.
I'm from Cape Town, the best part of South Africa, lol. Spent some years in Johannesburg and other parts, but always come back:)
If you are ever in SA again, be happy to show you around ;)
I have an Ex-South African friend in New Zealand - she really loves it there, I hope to visit one day ;)

Offline AmiBoy

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 09:37:30 AM »
Welcome
Escom A1200, Power Tower, OS3.9 & BB2, HD-Floppy drive, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000 16MB, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Tuner Card, 10/100MBit Ethernet card, Apollo 68060 66MHz with 64MB, 9.5Gig HD and 52xCDRom

Also one spare unworking bare A1200

Offline Israeli

• Show only replies by Israeli
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 06:21:14 AM »
I knew many people who had Amigas in South Africa. I even ran an Amiga club on the East Rand.

I sold Amigas and gave professional support and training for many years.

I started with the VIC-20 in 1983 and soon upgraded to the Commodore 64 and then the Commodore 128D. I still love the Commodore 128D, it was a super 64! In 1984 and 1985 there were two big Commodore clubs in Johannesburg, it was very festive. The good old days.

I still own a CBM PET.

Now I am living in Israel.

Offline orcish75

• Show only replies by orcish75
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 12:05:33 PM »
Ah!

I've only met two other people in SA that had Amigas, I bought everything that the one guy had so he's no longer into it and I got an A2000 off the other guy, but he's subsequently disappeared so don't know of anyone anymore.

There were a couple of small Amiga shops around in the late 80's/early 90's, I remember one in Pretoria run by a German lady and another in Joburg, but it only lasted a year or so before it shut down. At that stage though, I was a rabid ST fanboy, being 15 at the time, it was impossible to try convince me otherwise! I still secretly admired the Amiga, although I'd never admit it to anyone at the time.

Yup, PC clones definitely dominated the computer market at that stage, although the C64 and Spectrum range were popular amongst home users. I only got my Amigas around 1999 or so when I saw them advertised in a local classified for next to nothing.

I should've bought an Amiga rather than an ST, purely because there's so much more available for the Amiga in terms of hardware such as accelerators, SCSI controllers, memory controllers etc. I enjoy gaming on both platforms, but tinkering with hardware is what I really enjoy on older systems. The ST has hardly anything in terms of expansions, all my STE has is a 4MB memory upgrade and external floppy.

If there are any other Amiga users in SA, let us know!

Cheers!

Offline Israeli

• Show only replies by Israeli
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 12:37:03 PM »
I watched Amiga dealers come and go over the years, I outlived all of them.

I have not met anyone until now who had an Atari computer.

You mean you acquired your first Amiga in 1999 only?

I will see if I still have any Amiga contacts in South Africa. Give me a few days.

The Junkmail used to be a good way to find other Amiga users.

Offline orcish75

• Show only replies by orcish75
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
I watched Amiga dealers come and go over the years, I outlived all of them.

Yup, sad that the Amiga never really took off here, glad your business kept going though! My A501 memory expansion still has a sticker on it, Omega Systems from Kempton Park.

I have not met anyone until now who had an Atari computer.

I think the ST was even more rare in SA than the Amiga. There was a small community in Joburg of about 10 users that I was part of. I got my STE when my brother had a trip to Germany and brought it back for me.

You mean you acquired your first Amiga in 1999 only?

Ha ha! Yup! I bought an A2000 with a GVP 030 33MHz combo card, 2 x  stock A500s, a stock A1200, 2 x GVP A500HD+8 (both were broken, but got one of them working), a 25MHz VXL*30 A500 accelerator with 2MB memory board (Had a broken CPU pin which I replaced and now works), and 3 x 512k memory expansions for the A500, all for R2000 (Approx US $225 for those unfamiliar with the SA Rand)

I will see if I still have any Amiga contacts in South Africa. Give me a few days.

That'll be cool!

The Junkmail used to be a good way to find other Amiga users.

That's exactly where I found the stash above that I bought! :roflmao:

Offline rswanie

• Show only replies by rswanie
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
Hi,

Still not sure how i ended up on this forum, but decided to register anyhow.

I'm from South Africa and got an Amiga 2000 in '88 I think.  My Dad worked at Tedelex, which meant we got it at a big staff discount.  It was still R 7000.00 back then which was a huge amount of money in those days.  

I actually still have the Amiga, but it's in my garage and haven't been switched on for years now.  I still remember, having both an old MFM harddrive (accessible through an old mfm controller) as well as a 50 MB scsi hdd that i added, as well as a 68030 expansion card.  I also upped the default 25mhz crystal on the card to a 33mhz crystal (overclocking :) ).

I remember having a peculiar problem with my A2000 in that i had to have my dot matrix printer attached to the parallel port for it to boot up.

After seeing this forum I'm now very tempted to go get it and see if I can get it up and running again.  Think it will need a bit of work though.

First time I told my friends about the Amiga they responded 'Amigo who?'.  And after I showed them the games, I had to endlessly explain why it wouldn't work on their pc's and why their games looked so bad.

Anyhow, let me see if I can fire it up again.....

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »
I would recommend opening it up and checking for battery leakage before firing it up.  Those things don't last forever.
Good luck!

Offline trekiej

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »
Welcome.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Templario

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »
Hello Amiga user from a so far so far land!
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline rswanie

• Show only replies by rswanie
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;726493
I would recommend opening it up and checking for battery leakage before firing it up.  Those things don't last forever.
Good luck!

Thanks for the tip.  I'll do just that.

Offline marekdziem

• Show only replies by marekdziem
    • http://www.antfarm.co.za
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 03, 2018, 01:12:43 AM »
Me too! :)