Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 876 times)

Description:

Offline bisonTopic starter

• Show only replies by bison
Greetings!
« on: February 15, 2008, 05:00:20 PM »
Hi all,

I'm an Amiga user from the "classic" era, 1985-1990.

A friend of mine bought an Amiga 1000 in November 1985, and that's what sparked my interest in computers and computer programming.  I liked it so much that I went back to school in 1989 and got a degree in computer science.

I worked for a large PC manufacture during the first half of the 90's, so I was pretty much into MS/DOS and Windows during that time.  I vaguely recall Commodore going out of business. I learned Unix in school, and started using Linux in 1998.  I was looking forward with great anticipation to the MCC: It looked like it would be a return to the "glory days," but we all know how that turned out.

After Gateway canned the MCC I went Linux whole hog.  I had a very brief encounter with OS X, but it didn't impress me.

Now days I'm a C/Unix programmer for a company that does biomedical research.  I've been working on a lightweight desktop environment for Linux in my spare time.  I recently purchased a copy of Amiga Forever so that I could see that blue and orange desktop once again. :-)

"Unix is supposed to fix that." -- Jay Miner

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 06:02:13 PM »
Hi bison, welcome
Great story, someone who has been an Amiga fan since the beginning so to speak!
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.