Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Microsoft now wants to take charge for security updates/patches...  (Read 2146 times)

Description:

Offline TomasTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tomas
Gates Provides Windows Crash Statistic
cybercuzco writes "In an otherwise innocuous article at they NYT (FRRYYY) Bill Gates says that according to error reporting software in windows, 5% of all windows installations crash two or more times every day. Gates goes on to state that Microsoft is looking at charging for some of its software updates that it now distributes for free."

read more....

new york times article...

btw... i dont find this statistics very convincing either  ;-)

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
Re: Microsoft now wants to take charge for security updates/patches...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 03:22:37 AM »
@Tomas
Microsoft now wants to take charge for security updates/patches

Microsoft want to take over every appliance in yours and everybodys house lol.
Ni72ous

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 03:22:49 AM »
What that says to me is that only 5% of windows users send in the error reports. Most people don't bother.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 05:51:30 AM »
Gates goes on to state that Microsoft is looking at charging for some of its software updates that it now distributes for free.

That'd be great... If it weren't for the fact that the damn software needs to be updated every couple days because of the latest security flaw.  And, of course, the patch is only available for the latest version of everything.  So you have your choice.  Old, insecure, and sometimes buggy, with no piece of mind, or new, insecure, and often buggy, but at least you know you're "current", for what that's worth.  

I had enough of the Microsoft update treadmill a while back.  Linux powers most everything for me now, except my video game addiction.

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2003, 06:32:31 AM »
Looks to me that Micro$'s weekening market is starting to nibble away at the seems of the Evil Empire.  :-D

Tell me if this sounds about right:  I am going to charge you for all my mistakes in my software.  :hammer:  :-o

And, if you don't pay you could end up screwed.   :-o

No wonder so many places are starting to look for other solutions other than Micro$.   :-D  

Micro$   :destroy:
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2003, 10:30:30 AM »
This will be like a pyramid scam, you pay for one bug to be fixed, but two more are introduced an so forth.
Ni72ous

Offline Roj

• Show only replies by Roj
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=247
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2003, 12:00:58 PM »
I gotta ask, are Microsoft products really $6.9 billion per year better than anything else? And where would Amiga be with that much money budgeted for R&D?
I sold my Amiga for a small fortune, but a part of my soul went with it.

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 01:57:21 PM »
I agree - its time half decent OS's like miggyOS had a bit of money, thing is its like a slippery slope, no money = buggy software = less users = less money etc etc... but thats obviousley wrong.. otherwise micro$oft would be skint by now... its brainwashing i tell ya!!

Kinda reminds me of the VHS vs Betamax war,, betamax cheaper, better quality, more reliable than VHS, but who won? VHS...

Kinda pays off to be crap i think lol :-P

AMIGA
:python:
WinDOHS

A Perfect World :-)
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline Mad-Matt

• Show only replies by Mad-Matt
    • http://www.madmatt.cjb.net
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 02:07:22 PM »
What that says to me is that only 5% of windows users send in the error reports. Most people don't bother.

Im sure all windows try to send the error reports, but the ms servers just cant take the load so they never see 95% of em ;)

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2003, 03:26:57 PM »
lol@matt

Your proberbly right heh
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline Jost80

• Show only replies by Jost80
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2003, 04:26:16 PM »
Charging for updates might be ok (like updating from IE 4->6) but charging for security and(or) bugfixes is wrong.

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2003, 06:29:48 PM »
Oooookaaaay.

We've got to pay for Windows.  Fine (not really but you know what I mean ;-)).

M$ makes mistakes in programming Windows.  What's new? :-P

We've then got to pay M$ for fixing things that they've programmed wrong? :-x

They're making money out of their inefficiencies and crap programmers.

If they had any sense (ha! :-P) they'd fire all their crappy programmers (i.e. all of them :-D) and start from scratch.  Or they'd just wait and test (ha! again) something fully before releasing it.

But why do that when you can get loads of money from selling a crap very buggy bit of software for a lot of money then charge them extra to fix the problems that they've caused.

It does make business sense (paying for the extra work to be done for the updates) but it's stupidly ineficient.

I guess they're just proving that M$'s offices are as inneficient as their programming :-D
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2003, 06:36:20 PM »
Nothing about this surprises me....
int p; // A

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2003, 07:14:54 PM »
Some analysts have said that Longhorn may not arrive on the market until 2006.

WTH happened to 2004? YAYAYAYAYAYA!!!!!

Windows Xp is okey dokey software, but features are where most big software companies put their budget, they pay reliability a lot of lip service but don't really try to keep it up.

It's like old American cars versus the Japanese cars, sure our  v8's were great when fuel was 25c a gallon but when OPEC created the oil shortage, Japanese cars grabbed the market with good 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

Something of this regard happening in the computer market today could be a big break for Linux, Amiga, Apple.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2003, 07:15:26 PM »
Gates goes on to state that Microsoft is looking at charging for some of its software updates that it now distributes for free.

I believe that applies to accessory updates, like new versions of IE, Windows Media Player, and so on.  You know, new versions that have more bugs and security problems than older versions.  I *seriously* doubt this applies to any kind of critical update.

From NYTimes article:  The computer industry "experienced a boom that I don't think we'll see again in our lifetime," Mr. Gates said in describing the Internet boom.

What do you expect?  It's all hype!  The only thing that really boomed was graphics.  Networking has really sunk.  Yeah, I want to use a GUI written in HTML, and use it in a web browser, so it will look different and have different rendering problems on EACH machine, and nobody can accept responsibility because the browser is "not their product".  Grr...

Don't forget digital cameras and memory cards, either.  I'm a photo finisher, and we have about a 50% compatibility rate for memory cards.  God, memory cards SUCK.  The fact that Windows treats them like removable hard drives, and tries to cache them and write data to them when write protected,  doesn't help.

...And don't even get me started about USB and Plug 'n Pray.

From NYTimes article:  Its competitors have said they fear that Microsoft will govern that arena in the same way it attacked Netscape and came to dominate browser software

Netscape sucked.  Microsoft has an obligation to equip their own OS as they see fit.  Survival of the fittest.  Boycott if you don't like it.  'Nuff said.

Mr. Gates acknowledged today that the company's error reporting service indicated that 5 percent of all Windows-based computers now crash more than twice each day.

Is that Windows itself, or Windows applications?  I haven't seen a BSOD or a lock-up in almost a year on my machine, except when I swapped my motherboard.

Wolfe:  And, if you don't pay you could end up screwed.

Yeah, you might actually have to take your business elsewhere!   ;-)

NitrousB:  This will be like a pyramid scam, you pay for one bug to be fixed, but two more are introduced an so forth.

Isn't all software like that?  You would die if you saw what kind of apps I have to use at work.  If you think Microsoft is the worst software developer out there, you should seriously try some Kodak software.

Roj:  I gotta ask, are Microsoft products really $6.9 billion per year better than anything else? And where would Amiga be with that much money budgeted for R&D?

The same place as Microsoft.  No company deserves $6.9 billion for revenue, never mind R&D.

_LinchpiN_:  Kinda reminds me of the VHS vs Betamax war,, betamax cheaper, better quality, more reliable than VHS, but who won? VHS...

Tape length was more important than quality, and Sony was too slow at working out the idea of movies and rentals on tape.

Verdict:  VHS *was* supirior, but only in marketing and format, not quality.  Bad products rarely succeed on their own without top-notch marketing.  Just look at the iMac.  :-D

Karlos:  Nothing about this surprises me....

Same here, but where's the competition?  BeOS is gone, MacOS needs custom hardware, so does OS4, OS5 is anyone's guess, and Linux (or rather, GNU and XFree86), blows chunks if you want a halfway decent GUI and a good, standardized design.  Anything else is just a clone of UNIX, and embedded OS, or a hobby project.

Where's the competition?

That's the only reason I still follow what's going on the the Amiga world, BTW.  I don't see any hope at all elsewhere.