Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Favourite amiga-exclusive game  (Read 7839 times)

Description:

Offline motorollin

• Show all replies
Re: Favourite amiga-exclusive game
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »
That's a difficult question, since many of the best Amiga games were ported to (or from) other platforms. Another vote for XTReme Racing. All of the others I am thinking of (Cannon Fodder, Worms, Nebulus, Zool to name a few) were available on other platforms.

Actually, wasn't Worms: The Directors Cut an Amiga only version? If so then that would be a definite favourite Amiga-only game. It was, and still is, the best version of Worms.

I wonder if it would have made any difference to the Amiga's fate if all those classics which were ported to other platforms had been left as Amiga-only titles. It might have brought in more users and funded the platform sufficiently to keep it alive.

[EDIT]
I would like to point out that hearing my PC-owning friends bragging about this great new DOS game they can play, then seeing that it was a conversion of Zool with crap graphics and awful sound made me furious! :lol: They didn't seem to understand that these games had been around for ages on the Amiga, and were much better!
[/EDIT]

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline motorollin

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 01:43:18 PM »
madsjm wrote:
On the other hand, it's kind of sad that Superfrog wasn't ported to SNES/Megadrive. A bigger audience could have given it the publicity it really deserved.  :-)

Yes it would have given that game more publicity, and would have made more money for Team 17, but it wouldn't have promoted the Amiga, since games for other platforms rarely advertised that they were Amiga originals. So porting more games to other platforms would only serve to permit non-Amiga users to play games which were intended for the Amiga, and probably reduce the Amiga's user base even further.

Some time I ago I saw one of those DTV joysticks. It apparently had several ORIGINAL Sega games on it, but upon inspection, ALL of the games were Amiga originals. I can't remember what they all were, but one of them was Sensible Soccer. Hardly a Sega original :roll:

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline motorollin

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 02:29:43 PM »
Ruff 'n' Tumble is a definite favourite of mine too, and AFAIK an Amiga only. This could have been a real killer-game if it had been marketed right. As madsjm says, it all comes down to management :-(

Breathless was also a wicked game.

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10