Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More Idaho here!  (Read 1019 times)

Description:

Offline unknown1Topic starter

• Show only replies by unknown1
    • http://www.narrowgaugenews.net
More Idaho here!
« on: December 16, 2007, 02:38:34 AM »
I have noticed a couple of Idaho Amiga users here, maybe we ought to start our own SIG or something?

I am from SW Idaho, 35 miles NW of the state capital Boise out west of Emmett, ID on a 17 acre ranch (A few photos on my website which hasn't been updated since my Mac PowerBook 3400 blew a hard drive in 2005) It is currently on the other side of the room and I am trying to recover the data from it now.

I think it is somewhere on my website but I started on a Commodore PET 2001 8k in 1978. It wasn't working and the business class teacher knew we had some skill with computers so we struck a deal, if we would get it fixed, they would pay for it and we could keep it for the summer! WOW!

Took it so Skyles Electric Works in San Carlos (I think) where he had a 'prototype' Vic-2001 from Japan to show us! Well $56 later we had a new ROM chip and went off to buy the Commodore Programmers Reference Guide (I still have it somewhere around here).

Anyway, to make  long story short, we went through various Commodores, Macs and PCs until I bought a used A500 about 1994, what a machine! I really wanted an A1200 and a Commodore 128D, so I sold my 500 and bought those and still have them both. Got the A1200 from a classified ad cross country and got a A1200 with 68030/50MHz, monitor, CD drive and thousands of disks for I think $225. I have been pretty much Mac since their prices became more in line with PCs (at least used, the only New computer I ever bought was a C64 from Montgomery Ward on closeout for $295 in 1984)

So I have been lurking here off and on for years and recently dug out the A1200 and accessories. I hope it all still works, but it will have to wait until I get some more computer space to set it up. Might try an emulator on this dog of a 333MHz PC.

I can't wait till the Amiga comes into the modern world with a superpower Power PC! With Firewire, USB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and all that other stuff standard.
Russell - Idaho USA
\\"I think I need some private time with eBay and a credit card\\"

Offline Tron2k2

• Show only replies by Tron2k2
    • http://www.pbronline.us
Re: More Idaho here!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 05:25:55 AM »
Right on!  My Mom lives in Wendell, which is just up the road from Jerome where my grandfather Peck was born.  Mom has nothing to do there but raise horses and make pottery :-)

Interestingly (and this has nothing to do with the Amiga in any way ;-) my forefathers came across the plains with the Mormons, but once in Utah, decided they didn't want to play anymore.  In those days, you didn't just leave the Mormon city of Zion-not while still on the terrestrial plane anyway!  

So, the Pecks bailed up to Idaho, where it was necessary to guard their new encampment for several years-as Porter Rockwell, the 'Avenging Angel' of the LDS religion at that time, came to pay several visits.  Most people didn't survive a visit from ole' Porter, but the Pecks were hardy and well armed so they did :-)  The church finally gave up trying to whack our family sometime in the late 1850s; however up until sometime in the 1990s, there were NO genealogical records about my family in the very thorough Mormon archives.  The Church held a grudge for quite some time-Especially since one of Joseph Smith's daughters was among the traitors!

Because of this direct blood descent from the Church's founder, my Mom's mom was convinced for years that I was bound for the Quorum of the 70 or something if she could only just convert me.  Sadly for her, that never happened.

So, there you go.  My family's history with Utah and Idaho, in a nutshell.  It is a very nice place to visit.  Grandma lives in Harpster, too.  Also very nice, gorgeous river running through it.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 06:00:11 AM »
That is quite the story there. There are a lot of Mormons here (I am not one of them) but I won't say too much negative in a public forum due to my paranoid nature (you NEVER know where they are, they just blend in...:-o). But boy do they have some strange ways...:crazy:

I'm not much of a 'smileys' person, I think they are kind of silly, but fitting here...:-D
Russell - Idaho USA

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:01:20 AM »
Having spent some time involved with a political campaign up there, I can certainly vouch for the weirdness. Radical environmentalist liberals on one side, the White Power/KKK/Militia types up north, and general Mormon strangeness, with a few regular folks just up there for a job amidst all the pretty scenery. Luckily, I got to see most of your beautiful state. Maine is still my fav though and California is next. Be sure to go see the lava caves if you get up there.

Idaho, one of the few places still with a Commodore/Amiga brick and mortar store!
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 08:24:25 AM »
@amiduffer

Any regular militia types or just those you mentioned with the slashes?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 04:26:45 PM »

Amiduffer wrote:
I can certainly vouch for the weirdness. Radical environmentalist liberals on one side, the White Power/KKK/Militia types up north, and general Mormon strangeness, with a few regular folks just up there for a job

Idaho, one of the few places still with a Commodore/Amiga brick and mortar store!

Of course, you would have to mention that! At least here in SW Idaho there is a nice diverse population and if there are any 'fringies' they keep it to themselves.

Now all you have to do is mention politicians in airport bathrooms and a few thousand potato(e) jokes and that's Idaho for most people! But I love this one:

Steve Jobs iDaho

Something we are proud of - small but at least at last check  - not a 'vapor-store': Commodore Computer Center
Russell - Idaho USA