Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Please stop copying Starfighter.  (Read 6817 times)

Description:

Offline Angus

• Show only replies by Angus
    • http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html
Re: Stop copying Starfighter.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 09:05:14 AM »

coldfish wrote:
@weirdami

Yep, I agree.  It's still a waste of time though.

No its not.

Its a "feel" thing. DrewFX feels its wrong that people should be selling his game without permission, and that's pretty difficult to argue with. Potential purchasers are likely to feel that if the author has made it freely available they'd rather take advantage of that than be taken adavntage of by some (and I believe this is the correct technical term) "pikey {bleep}" on Ebay.

At the end of the day, all parties bar the aforementioned "pikey {bleep}" feel they have done the right thing - no small thing, and I would submit, not a waste of time.

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 09:21:41 AM »
Hmm, emotional/irrational arguments aside, again.

If it was my work, which I'd decided to give up as free I wouldnt care if a few schmucks were still making a pittance out of it here and there.  At least it has some value.

The sellers are hardly asking a fortune (unlike some Amiga traders), and I have my doubts there are many buyers in Amiga-land not aware it's available for free, if not and they're willing to pay the asking price for a packaged unit, where's the problem?  How many units do you think they sell anyway?  My guess would be a couple per year, at most?

I can understand the author being protective of his claim to fame, but put it in perspective:  It's old (now free) software that worked on a small subset (Amigas with CD) of an obsolete hardware platform.

I get the impression you guys are making a very big deal out of nothing much.  

Hardly a new thing in the Amiga community. :-P

Offline RussellB

• Show only replies by RussellB
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 09:46:28 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STARFIGHTER-AMIGA-CD-rom-NEW_W0QQitemZ160156279914QQihZ006QQcategoryZ98929QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STARFIGHTER-AMIGA-CD-rom-NEW_W0QQitemZ200144244913QQihZ010QQcategoryZ98929QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Here are 2 auctions selling pirate copies of Starfighter.  

You can find a lot of illegal copies of software on UK Ebay which people are getting ripped off thinking it is the original software unless you know what you are looking for.  

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 10:20:09 AM »
@ Coldfish

You are missing the point by such a wide mark.  But that does not supprise me from your often borderline trolling posts.

The game have only been made free to stem the tide.  The game was not free and the Author had not given his permission for it to be sold by anyone since 2000.

The age of the software and/or the state of the hardware market it runs on has no relation whatsoever to if people whould be able to make money off somone elses hardwork.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline RussellB

• Show only replies by RussellB
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 11:24:35 AM »

Offline coldfish

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 12:28:38 PM »
@JJ

Sorry, I forgot to put my troll's hat on. :-D

/troll-on.

I understand the issue and, apart from the author gaining some attention hereabouts, I don't see there's any point in complaining about the illegitimate sale of a few CDs of -free- software.  

Making it free didnt stem any "tide", there wasn't one, it just devalued the software.

...I wonder just how many $millions$ those terrible pirates are making from Starfighter? :lol:

Offline Plaz

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 01:21:29 PM »
Don't forget this popular Amiga site.... English Amiga Board eab.abime.net

Plaz

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 01:55:10 PM »
Most people on the other sites probably visit this one too occasionally. It's already been posted as a news item at amigans.net (with a link to your thread here). There's also amigaworld.net which is more geared toward Amiga OS 4.0, but there'll still be people interested in starfighter.

Uh?? In what way is amigaworld more geared towards OS 4.0? It might have been in the past, but that is no longer the case. I think you are confusing amigaworld with amigans.net, which is infact nearly only OS4.

But anyways i agree with other people here.. It is disgusting to sell a free game for profits, unless they made a deal with the game devs.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 02:01:38 PM »
no offense..

question to all:

Is this game any good?  Is it worth downloading/playing?  Compared to Elite...   can I play this on UAE ?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Hans_

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 02:05:48 PM »
@Tomas

I think that you'll still find a larger number of Amiga OS 4.0 users at aw.net than here; a lot more talk about OS4 (well, more about the darn court case at the moment), and less about classic stuff. Anyway, there's also amigaweb.net, which I think is supposed to be a news site for any Amiga or Amiga-like system.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 02:28:18 PM »
coldfish wrote:

...I wonder just how many $millions$ those terrible pirates are making from Starfighter? :lol:

Okay, put it this way.  What if YOU bought Starfighter from one of these dealers for $20, $40, $50, whatever, and then found out that now it's free?  Regardless of when it was made free.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the $millions$ being collected by those pirating the software.  It has to everything to do with taking something that does not belong to you and the assumption of your rights to do whatever you want with it.

You are a text book pie-rat, and obviously have never produced a creative work of your own.  Otherwise I believe you would understand Drew's position.  You sound just like the uninformed masses who proclaim that Janne Suni should be thankful that Timbaland used his song in its entirety to make money without giving him any credit, because otherwise no one would ever have heard it.  This is an argument made over and over, and it is a fallacy.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 02:42:43 PM »
I think what coldfish is saying is that it would be ok to take some of his personal bellongings from his house without his permission and then sell them on ebay for profit . That would be ok I assume, given your arguments
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 03:11:19 PM »
ok, enough of the bickering.. get over it already.

back to the game..

is it any good?  fun?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline murple

• Show only replies by murple
    • http://www.murple.net
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 03:34:46 PM »
Does the game contain any notice that it can not be sold, actually in the game or its official documentation? Was it published under a license prohibiting sale? If not, while its very lame, it may not be actually illegal. I hope you can put a stop to it, but it may not be completely straightforward legally.

Also, another site to post to: LemonAmiga.org

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 03:35:56 PM »
@murple
Does the game contain any notice that it can not be sold, actually in the game or its official documentation? Was it published under a license prohibiting sale? If not, while its very lame, it may not be actually illegal. I hope you can put a stop to it, but it may not be completely straightforward legally.

Eh. That is nonsense.

Offline coldfish

« Reply #29 from previous page: September 18, 2007, 03:36:57 PM »
Heh, you guys are absolutely right, I've been swayed by your well articulated and rational argument.  

I stand corrected.

:lol:

Review:

http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/DBM1/StarfDR.html