Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: music production on amiga....  (Read 5504 times)

Description:

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
Re: music production on amiga....
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 11:42:03 PM »
@bloodline,

I like the megalosound too and use it a great deal, but I find you often get better (more controllable) results to sample on a modern high quality machine and then downsample to 8bit (using the best dithering algorithm your DAW software allows) and then use the lovely paula chips for playback via OctaMED.

I have a 24 bit sampler, I might have to give that method a go. I do like the sort of "uncontrollable" factor of using a real 8 bit sampler though :lol: . I like the way it adds to the creative process!

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 11:44:37 PM »
@stopthegop,

Paula does sound really amazing considering its only 8 bits. Not sure how exactly to say it, but Paula doesn't sound overly "digital" to me.. Some hi-res (16, 24 bit) samples can sound very bright, almost unpleasent when played through good tube equipment. Paula can sound a tiny bit "distorted", but its the good kind of distortion. Same as saying Jimi Hendrix live sounded "distorted". :)

Thats what I was trying to say but couldnt think of the right wording! :lol:

Paula almost sounds anolog when playing 8 bit digital! :crazy:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 12:03:30 AM »

spihunter wrote:
@bloodline,

I like the megalosound too and use it a great deal, but I find you often get better (more controllable) results to sample on a modern high quality machine and then downsample to 8bit (using the best dithering algorithm your DAW software allows) and then use the lovely paula chips for playback via OctaMED.

I have a 24 bit sampler, I might have to give that method a go. I do like the sort of "uncontrollable" factor of using a real 8 bit sampler though :lol: . I like the way it adds to the creative process!

Unfortunately, when working in a professional environment, I need to make sure that results are reproducible and that I can achieve the desired effect within a given time frame.

Offline CDE_MusiX

• Show only replies by CDE_MusiX
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »
Yep, all these things, but please don't do the same "Timbaland" thing. (Ripping of scene music used in mainstream projects)

Then I quote you OctaMED, Future Composer, and Art Of Noise, there are programs with Softsynth usage at first (combined with Samples/Synths)

And again: NO TIMBALAND !  :-)
AMIGA 1200 with
- External FD Drive
- 527 Mb HD drive

I wish power up my AMIGA:
- AmigaOS 3.9 (upgrading wit CDROM drive, Blizard 1230IV and 56k modem)

Offline trilobyte

• Show only replies by trilobyte
    • http://aaack.org
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 07:23:24 PM »
let's not forget:

- Bars'n'Pipes (sure, it's made for MIDI, but also does sample, animation, and image playback)
- AHX (yummmmmy)
- SampleWrench (awesome [and now inexpensive] sample editor;  the interface is a little quirky until you read the manual and then you realize it's somewhat elegant)
- Synthia

cheers,
trilobyte
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes

Offline Wilse

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 06:50:38 PM »

spihunter wrote:
Using a tracker like Octamed with 8 bit samples makes a great hip hop sound. I wouldnt use it alone for a whole album though.

I like to use my A1200 running octamed, midi synced with my Mac running Logic. The two together make an awesome range of sound.

How exactly does that work?
I'm a recent convert to Logic Express but still dabble in OSS.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 02:05:37 PM »

Wilse wrote:

spihunter wrote:
Using a tracker like Octamed with 8 bit samples makes a great hip hop sound. I wouldnt use it alone for a whole album though.

I like to use my A1200 running octamed, midi synced with my Mac running Logic. The two together make an awesome range of sound.

Welcome to the world of Logic! Just get OctaMED to receive Start/Stop and timing from Logic.

Offline Wilse

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 07:18:54 PM »

bloodline wrote:

Wilse wrote:

spihunter wrote:

Welcome to the world of Logic! Just get OctaMED to receive Start/Stop and timing from Logic.

Cheers.

As yet I've only been using the internal instruments so haven't even connected up any outboard gear at all. Is it pretty straightforward?

Offline cybernoid

• Show only replies by cybernoid
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 08:07:36 PM »
I would go directly for an amiga 3000 SCSI with hively tracker and eagleplayer (you got to spend some time to configure, but then it's astonishing great!)
Then if u want even better powerful sound than paula (you heard it! it's powerful.) go get any 16/24 bits Amiga Card - They are diamonds of hardware, even nowadays.

If you're in my position - a4000 owner (1200 its pretty the same), youll find that youll need a VERY EXPENSIVE scandoubler. So... you may try linux'soundtracker. It's not the same thing - lot's worst than hively tracker, but it's not emulated...
You can hear i do with soundtracker-linux (1st 2 songs) - they are just 100kb each one...
2 sound modules

Offline drlemming

• Show only replies by drlemming
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 11:21:32 AM »
Quote from: eniac;315219
im trying to get my hands on a a1200, but they are getting rare here in oz, eventually i will, but im a hiphop producer and im into "alternative" means (eg not using reason and protools) of production. what music production suites are available for the amiga? i thought i may be able to get some sounds out of it that would be amiga only.
back in my amiga days i was only a guitar player.

You might be interested in http://www.assampler.com/ that allows to create sounds by plugging together sound processes like oscillators, noise, filters.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
HD-Rec

http://hd-rec.de/HD-Rec/index.php?site=screenshots

I want an 060 just for this!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 11:36:26 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;315394

"dithering algorithm your DAW software allows"

What do you mean by that? Can you explain what you do so I can imagine what you are talking about and duplicate it?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline BluPhenix316

• Show only replies by BluPhenix316
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 11:52:34 AM »
Check out the music group Crystal Castles, they have taken the old computer and game chips and made a weird style out of it

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 01:05:32 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;559313
"dithering algorithm your DAW software allows"

What do you mean by that? Can you explain what you do so I can imagine what you are talking about and duplicate it?
What software do you use on your PC/Mac?

I use Logic Pro on a Mac, with a 24bit 96khz audio interface. With this setup I can sample all my audio sources (which more often than not, will be something noisy I've found :) ) at a very high quality. I will then bounce the 24bit 96khz audio down to 8bit 16khz, through a few different noise shaping filters an then pick the one that sounds best.

Put your samples on a 720k formated disk and load them
into OctaMED! Bam! Lovely HQ samples on your Amiga... Which you can then sequence and record back into the Mac at super high quality... It does gives the audio a very distinctive sound!

Over the past few years though, I have found that the same effect can be achieved by using a "BitCrusher" and an EQ directly in Logic... This saves having to use the Amiga.

The one thing that I do still need is to write an audio effect that adds the Amiga's nonlinear DAC colour to the audio, I have all the data I need... I just need to sit down and write the AudioUnit effect for Logic :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »
No mac, just a PC with a Sound Blaster Pro

As for software I've been using GoldWave Studio

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 18, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;559330
No mac, just a PC with a Sound Blaster Pro

As for software I've been using GoldWave Studio
Ok, I've never used that one... But it should have a 16bit->8bit converter there somewhere :)