Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello from Scotland  (Read 866 times)

Description:

Offline bawsackTopic starter

• Show only replies by bawsack
Hello from Scotland
« on: April 21, 2007, 02:40:57 AM »
Howdy folks,
Hows everyone doing.. am actually not new, just not been on here for a long long time, cant even remember if I posted or not lol Anyway, user of a 1200, but thinking of upgrading the machine, WB 3.0, etc, external HD, not sure of the capacity because I havent used it in so long! does anyone have good ideas of upgrading on a limited budget, am thinking of adding a CDROM drive, network card etc and upgrading the OS. Can you use PC hardware on an amiga? I sound silly for saying that, but am not too sure you see. (Mac user) :)

Justin from United Kingdom :-)  :-)
Commodore Amiga 600 -Standard
Commodore Amiga 1200 - 2MB Chip RAM, 4MB FastRAM, 4GB Flash HD.

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
Re: Hello from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 02:58:37 AM »
Howdy back.

Well, the best thing to do, is go to www.amigakit.com and start to drool over all the nifty gadgets you can use with the 1200.

Upgrading the ROM to 3.1 is best. Laptop HD's are very cheap, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting a slightly used one with some decent gigabytes. The original hard drives that came with them are too small anyway.

As far as acceleration, if you can score a 68040 for cheap, then get OS3.5 or OS3.9 because those accelerators allow you to install some extra ram which you'll need. Otherwise, a 68030 will do you fine, although you might want to stick with OS 3.0, and upgrade off of what you can find on Aminet.

That's basic upgrades for that.

If you want to use a CD drive, there are a few choices. Locate a squirrelSCSI or, a SCSIkit that attaches to Blizzard type accelertors. Both will let you add SCSI peripherals like CD drives. IDE drives are a different game. Its possible to modify the case and put a laptop CD inside the 1200, but you'll have to cut a hole.

Welcome to A.org.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline meega

• Show only replies by meega
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 03:01:59 AM »
Welcome back. You posted here before.

Personally, I think an expansion card with processor and memory is always good, and for peripherals you could get a 4-way IDE header and then you should be able to use standard PC hard disks and CD drives. A "late" OS version will allow hard disks with large capacities.
:)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 01:58:29 PM »
@bawsack

Love the handle :lol: I may be wrong, but that's a weegieism for scrotum, is it not?
int p; // A