Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Long time user, new poster  (Read 883 times)

Description:

Offline ehbowenTopic starter

• Show only replies by ehbowen
    • http://www.streamlinerschedules.com
Long time user, new poster
« on: April 13, 2007, 09:08:02 AM »
I've been hooked on Commodores and Amigas ever since...well, since MITS bit the dust. (I really lusted after an Altair 8800.) A friend of mine bought an 8K PET in 1978 while I was in high school, and I finally picked up a Commodore 64 in 1983. An Amiga 1000 followed in 1988, my last year in the Navy, and I then upgraded to an A3000 in 1991. That was my primary computer for over thirteen years; I finally moved (kicking and screaming all the way) to a Windows 2000 Dell in late 2004. The Dell was a secondhand gift from my mother, so my record is still perfect; I have yet to put a dime in Bill Gates' pocket.

Although I use the Windows box most of the time (like right now) I haven't forgotten the A3000; I'm trying to hook it up to the PC via Samba and I'm even considering the purchase of an accelerator and graphics card. (It's still the stock 25MHz 68030; the original graphics components were damaged by battery leakage in the early '90s. Although professionally repaired at the time, they continue to degrade; my original display enhancer is now useless and I'm losing the red and green outputs to my current monitor).

While I've been an avid Amiga user, I haven't really participated in the Amiga "scene" since leaving the Navy and SCAUG (Southern California Amiga Users Group) in 1988. It's taken me this long to register at any Amiga forums. But, better late than never!
--------Eric H. Bowen

Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
Re: Long time user, new poster
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:44:39 AM »
Welcome!

Too bad that your A3000 is slowly degrading, it's a mighty fine machine (it's my favourite Amiga). Maybe a good operation can bring her back to full glory, but those operations are sometimes expensive (and not cover by health insurance I'm afraid :lol:)

Anyway, enjoy your stay here. Good to hear that there are still more Amiga owners out there than we really know of.
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 12:01:10 PM »
Welcome,

It looks like you can still have your Altair after all, and it's not much more than a high spec Amiga is these days:-D

http://www.altairkit.com/index.html

Jeff

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 12:26:57 PM »

ehbowen wrote:
I've been hooked on Commodores and Amigas ever since...well, since MITS bit the dust. (I really lusted after an Altair 8800.) A friend of mine bought an 8K PET in 1978 while I was in high school, and I finally picked up a Commodore 64 in 1983. An Amiga 1000 followed in 1988, my last year in the Navy, and I then upgraded to an A3000 in 1991. That was my primary computer for over thirteen years; I finally moved (kicking and screaming all the way) to a Windows 2000 Dell in late 2004. The Dell was a secondhand gift from my mother, so my record is still perfect; I have yet to put a dime in Bill Gates' pocket.

Although I use the Windows box most of the time (like right now) I haven't forgotten the A3000; I'm trying to hook it up to the PC via Samba and I'm even considering the purchase of an accelerator and graphics card. (It's still the stock 25MHz 68030; the original graphics components were damaged by battery leakage in the early '90s. Although professionally repaired at the time, they continue to degrade; my original display enhancer is now useless and I'm losing the red and green outputs to my current monitor).

While I've been an avid Amiga user, I haven't really participated in the Amiga "scene" since leaving the Navy and SCAUG (Southern California Amiga Users Group) in 1988. It's taken me this long to register at any Amiga forums. But, better late than never!

Pop over to www.aros.org
Download the AROS x86 iso
Burn it to a CD
Boot the PC using the CD.

Enjoy :-D