Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What would you want the next Amiga to be?  (Read 4589 times)

Description:

Offline MskoDestny

• Show only replies by MskoDestny
    • http://www.retrodev.com
Re: What would you want the next Amiga to be?
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 11, 2007, 10:30:08 PM »
Why? Just emulate the 68k... there is pretty much no way you could push a 68k much faster than the 68060... the architecture is just too CISC for high speeds...

That hasn't stopped x86. On modern CPUs RISC doesn't buy you much anymore. The die space needed for the extra front end complexity is insignificant on a modern desktop CPU and even the RISC processors have some front end translation going on now.

I doubt there ever will be a high performance 68K processor, but the reasons for that are economic not technical.

Anyway, while your question was directed at someone else, the reason I would want a real 68K (or at least a close cousin of the 68K like the ColdFire) is because I don't really want an Amiga for any real practical purpose. A bog standard x86 PC running a non-Amiga OS does that fine. I just find the Amiga hardware neat and I think the 68K family of processors is also quite cool. I essentially want a geek toy, not a practical machine that will bring Amiga back as a contender on the desktop.

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 11:16:44 PM »

meega wrote:
Come on then eslapion. Tell us your thoughts.

Before I tell you my toughts on what the next Amiga "should" be, I will tell you about what it must NEVER be.

Well, first, it should NEVER have been the AmigaOne. It died and for good reasons.

The replies I read here tell me that most people have a good sense of marketing but there are a few very loud voices which are totally disconnected from reality.

Allow me to criticise:

cv643d wrote:
Next generation should be 100% compatible with A4000 and run Workbench 3.9. It should have at least one videoslot and one Zorro slot.

It should not run on PPC but on a faster 68k CPU so that software should be able to run without recompile. Off course it should have PCIe and SATA etc etc, and it should be available in Mini-ITX/Micro-ATX

I think it is important that the Amiga chipset is on the motherboard and not in software.

Well, this is a good example of what we should NEVER allow the next Amiga to be. There is virtually NO hardware in production now that could ever use a Zorro or video slot and to have the chipset in hardware is a complete closed door on evolution.

PPC and 68k processors are also to be totally avoided as they are no longer properly supported by their manufacturers.

This is a series of suggestion that seems to me to be absolute paint yourself in a corner solutions.

Added edit:
CV643d is the short name for the Cybervision64 3D and that video card is actually a PC video card adapted for a Zorro III slot...

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 11:34:49 PM »
Back in 1994 when I switched from the Amiga, the reason I did was because of what I saw Windows NT (3.51 back then) do.

It ran on a machine that was actually cheaper than my Amiga 3000 yet it was fast and it multitasked flawlessly. It had beutiful 24bit display capabilities and 16 bit stereo sound. Of course, not all Windows 3.1 or DOS software ran fine on NT but I prefered power to compatibility.

Prior to seing Windows NT do such things, the PC, to me was nothing but a clunky box with beeps for sound and monochrome 80 column display... except for games which still ran at resolutions similar to that of the Amiga but with all the hassle of DOS memory management schemes...

Windows NT also incorporated built-in networking capabilities and security features totally absent on the Amiga. The filetype management was also quite good.

My PC truly completely killed my Amiga 3000 when I installed Photoshop 3.0 in NT and discovered that it was able to load all the IFF images I had and process them in whatever mode I wanted, all the way up to 24 bit RGB and even CMYK. There were also PC versions of Pagemaker, QuarkXpress and Adobe Illustrator. The Amiga was no longer needed as these applications were far more powerful on a PC than they could be on an Amiga emulating a Mac and at a far lower cost.

For a few years, there was more or less of a feud between NT and windows 9X. Eventually, XP appeared and ended all this. XP is actually a different name for Windows NT 5.1.

Now that tells you what I would want the next Amiga OS to be. It shouldn't look like Windows XP but while maintaining compatibility all the way back to at least OS 2.04, it should incorporate the most important features we are used to find in Windows XP.

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 12:03:43 AM »
One of the possible incarnations I see for the "next" Amiga looks like this: http://www.nsu.ru/matlab/Exponenta_RU/soft/Others/ti/RIS2.JPG

This is a TI-92+ calculator. It has a 10MHz 68000 processor built-in and a few MB of RAM and flash memory built-in.

Now, today, we are able to put color displays on PSPs and Nintendo DS that operate on batteries and put hundreds of MBs of memory of various types in them. Why not have something that's like a PSP with a keyboard?

That could be a "low-end" Amiga and and certainly could be 100% compatible with the Amiga 1200 but faster and uses a 1GB SD card instead of a hard drive.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 01:27:11 AM »

eslapion wrote:

For a few years, there was more or less of a feud between NT and windows 9X. Eventually, XP appeared and ended all this. XP is actually a different name for Windows NT 5.1.

*cough* Windows2000
Back away from the EU-SSR!

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 02:01:08 AM »

B00tDisk wrote:

*cough* Windows2000

Unfortunately, Windows 2k was more or less eclipsed by the miserable Windows ME.

It remains a good "lightweight" version of XP with pretty much full hardware and software compatibility.

Offline drewz21

• Show only replies by drewz21
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2007, 03:01:00 AM »
I guess I want 2 new Amigas just as there were always 2 types of Amigas available back in the day.  A low-end and a high-end.

They should both run the same OS.  AROS (when completed) or an OS3.9-4.0 type.

An A1200 type system somewhat like this.
68060 running around 60-75MHz.
128MB RAM.  Expandable to 1GB.
20GB Hard Drive.
CD-RW Drive.
High-Density Amiga compatible hard drive.  Via a Catweasel chip maybe?
AGA or AAA type chipset.  Real or fully emulated with support for OCS, ECS, and AGA modes.
Full USB support.

A full PC type big box system.
Either x86 or PPC system.  Speed whatever MHz.
512MB RAM.  Expandable to 1-2GB RAM.
80GB Hard Drive.
CD/DVD Burner
High-Density Amiga compatible hard drive.  Via a Catweasel chip maybe?
High-end video card/chipset to rival anything today for the PC but with emulated (although maybe not fully) support for older chipsets.
High-end audio same as video.
Full USB support.
Very expandable.

Both of those would sit in my stable and be used all the time.

As long as we're wishing...  :-)
Amiga - The fun computer!

Amiga 500 - 3MB, A590, 250MB HD, SupraTurbo28.
Amiga 1200HD - 32MB, 4GB CF-Card, GVP 68030-40Mhz.
Amiga 600HD

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2007, 03:07:44 AM »
The AMD64x2 machine I already own?  :-?

Looks like I just need an AmigaOS4 CD that will install on it I guess.  
$100 bucks to Hyperion per copy sound reasonable?  ;-)
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 07:45:11 AM »

eslapion wrote:

B00tDisk wrote:

*cough* Windows2000

Unfortunately, Windows 2k was more or less eclipsed by the miserable Windows ME.

What?
Back away from the EU-SSR!

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »

B00tDisk wrote:

eslapion wrote:

B00tDisk wrote:

*cough* Windows2000

What?

What I mean is, everytime I would talk to somebody about Windows 2000 when I was using it, I got a reply like: "Of course I have Windows Millenium..." and I would have to clarify, "no, Windows 2000, not Millenium, its not the same thing".

Business people knew of Windows 2000, especially for its server suite. Common folks, however rarely knew of its existence.

And Windows Millenium was truly a miserable buggy OS. Its core is based on Windows 9X, not NT but Windows 98SE is more reliable and more compatible.

Since a lot of people confused ME with 2000, a lot of people belived the latter to be a lousy OS...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 09:43:28 PM »

MskoDestny wrote:
Why? Just emulate the 68k... there is pretty much no way you could push a 68k much faster than the 68060... the architecture is just too CISC for high speeds...

That hasn't stopped x86. On modern CPUs RISC doesn't buy you much anymore. The die space needed for the extra front end complexity is insignificant on a modern desktop CPU and even the RISC processors have some front end translation going on now.

I doubt there ever will be a high performance 68K processor, but the reasons for that are economic not technical.

Anyway, while your question was directed at someone else, the reason I would want a real 68K (or at least a close cousin of the 68K like the ColdFire) is because I don't really want an Amiga for any real practical purpose. A bog standard x86 PC running a non-Amiga OS does that fine. I just find the Amiga hardware neat and I think the 68K family of processors is also quite cool. I essentially want a geek toy, not a practical machine that will bring Amiga back as a contender on the desktop.

But the 68K isn't the x86... the 68k is a fantastic chip, full of features and a nearly orthoganal design... while these make it a dream to program... they also hinder it's maximum speed. Intel got lucky (sort of) that the x86 is a very simple processor, from a CISC point of view, it's very easy to bolt it's ISA onto a nice fast  RISC type core, it has very rigid addressing modes and rules as to what instruction can be used and when... these things lend themselves to modern CPU design... The 68k simply isn't that simple... it's too versatile... if you try and make it more suitable for hight speeds you end up with the mostly incompatible coldfire... and if you push it harder, you'll end up with something that pretty much looks like an x86... in almost every way... and you'll be wishing you'd started from scratch (or used a MIPS :-) ).

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 04:29:09 AM »

bloodline wrote:
But the 68K isn't the x86... the 68k is a fantastic chip, full of features and a nearly orthoganal design... while these make it a dream to program... they also hinder it's maximum speed. Intel got lucky (sort of) that the x86 is a very simple processor, from a CISC point of view, it's very easy to bolt it's ISA onto a nice fast  RISC type core, it has very rigid addressing modes and rules as to what instruction can be used and when... these things lend themselves to modern CPU design... The 68k simply isn't that simple... it's too versatile... if you try and make it more suitable for hight speeds you end up with the mostly incompatible coldfire... and if you push it harder, you'll end up with something that pretty much looks like an x86... in almost every way... and you'll be wishing you'd started from scratch (or used a MIPS :-) ).

Something I don't understand is... why not just clock the damn thing faster?

Look at the first Pentiums. They began running at 60MHz powered on 5V, then they took the same architecture and used better transistors to make the thing run at 75 MHz and quickly pushed it to 133MHz.

A year of research in new materials... still no redesign and it went up to 200MHz.

Why not do the same with the 68060? They could have done that easily, I am quite sure.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2007, 10:14:51 AM »

eslapion wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Something I don't understand is... why not just clock the damn thing faster?

That faster you clock it, the more electricity it needs, the hotter it gets and due to propegation delays, parts of the chip go out of sync... all of these things end in a crash.

To solve the power problems you try and use a smaller manufacturing process, this requires a chip redesign so that the smaller components don't interfere with each other.

Look at the first Pentiums. They began running at 60MHz powered on 5V, then they took the same architecture and used better transistors to make the thing run at 75 MHz and quickly pushed it to 133MHz.

When designing a chip, you try to plan how fast you want the clock to run. The Pentium was released at 60Mhz (at the very begining), but the design was made with the idea of a faster clock rate... as production improved (as chip design and manufacturing process never stop delvelopment), the chip will (as predicted by the designers) be able to clock faster.

A year of research in new materials... still no redesign and it went up to 200MHz.

Plently of redesigns are made, a chip is never just designed and then made... the designers work constantly to improved the layout and adapt the design to new processes and materials.

Why not do the same with the 68060? They could have done that easily, I am quite sure.

If you wanted to make an 68060 now, you would have to find an old Fab that could manufacture such an old design, then get the masks from Freescale, but all you'll end up with is probably a few 40Mhz 68060 chips... until the engineers that you are paying managed to get yealds up and iron out any bugs in the process so that you can get them to clock up to 50... or even 80MHz (at a push).

If you wanted to build it on a new process... 65nm? Then you would have to hire a team of chip designers and buy time in a test Fab. You'd probably have to design the chip from scratch as the last revision is 8 or 9 generations old. This would cost millions... now given that the 68k architecture is not suited to High speed operation so you couldn't really take the "Pentium" approach of a RISC 68k style core with a nice decoder in front (well you proably could but it would be a expensive and time consuming to get right... perhaps would could depreciate most of the 68k addresing modes, but then why usea 68k?), and the fact that you don't own any patents on modern cpu chip design... you would probably end up with a chip only two or three times faster than the existing 060... you'd need a massive die size, it would consume a large amount of power, it would have no Vector unit and a very old CPU bus (so no modern support chips)... coupled with the fact you don't have anyone to sell it to... all you end up with is a very large bill., and something that if it would work at all, would be slower than UAE with a JIT running on a PC that cost £500.

This is why Motorola dropped the 68k in favour of the PPC, all those years ago. There was no gaurenteed market for continuing the 68k... but with Apple and IBM on board, they knew they could sell the PPC (to apple and IBM) which was better suited to high performance computing (smaller die, lower power consumption, and 64bit ), and thus cheaper to get to market.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 10:11:46 AM »

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 10:21:01 AM »

bloodline wrote:
Go on then make your own 68k :-)

http://www.chipzilla.com/default.aspx?article=38964

Neaaaaat! Only 10% of the virtex is used so that opens a LOT of possibilities for designers.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2007, 04:07:26 AM »
....available for sale in the real world in a shop where i can just walk in and buy it  ;-)