Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: winUAE  (Read 5723 times)

Description:

Offline wholenutzTopic starter

• Show only replies by wholenutz
winUAE
« on: December 28, 2006, 09:01:03 PM »
Hi, ive been trying for days to get winUAE to work, ive had about 20 different releases downloaded and just cant get the thing to work, can anyone please please please just write me a step by step guide from start to finish for getting "Brian the Lion" working it was my fave game ages ago, thanks in advance

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
Re: winUAE
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 09:04:50 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to A.Org!

It might help if you can give more detail than "just can't get the thing to work" !

What have you tried so far? WinUAE is generally easy enough to get going and a quick Google will provide several sites with "getting started" guides...

- Ali

Offline hipoonios

• Show only replies by hipoonios
    • http://www.recordedamigagames.org
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 09:09:10 PM »
Whats the problem? Do you have the required stuff?

Just downloaded the recent version of Winuae from www.winuae.net. Download a kickstart rom and put it in the same directory as the Winuae installation. You need kickstart 3.0 because Brian the Lion is a A1200 game. Now insert the disks (adf'd) and try to start the emulation with standard A1200 settings. (quick start in Winuae).

Good Luck

Offline InTheSand

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 09:12:45 PM »
hipoonios wrote:
...Download a kickstart rom...

Err... Shouldn't that be "either transfer a Kickstart ROM image from your real Amiga or purchase Amiga Forever" ?!

- Ali

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 09:12:57 PM »
it says i have no roms, but i have downloaded the kickstart 3.1, or at least i think i have, i also have a few amiga disks  , including workbench 3.0, is there anyway i can use this??

Offline InTheSand

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 09:18:15 PM »
Check out Amiga Forever - this provides a bootable Amiga environment that requires no configuration, as well as a set of legally licensed Kickstart ROMs for use with WinUAE/E-UAE. It'll be much less hassle for you in the long run.

- Ali

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 09:22:45 PM »
Ive just been to amiga forever, but im a bit short of cash at the moment and i cant really afford it.  :-(

Offline alx

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 09:25:02 PM »
@wholenutz

Welcome to A.org :-)

As InTheSand hinted, a good way to get going quickly with emulation would be to grab Amiga Forever.  It comes with a load of legal ROMs (unless you own an Amiga yourself you shouldn't really be downloading them) and everything's preconfigured to go (if for some reason it didn't then you'd be perfectly entitled to demand a refund, but I've never heard of it not working :-D )

If you've got real Amiga disks, there are a few ways to transfer them onto the PC.  If you're running WinXP then have a look at ADFRead (there's a news article about it on the front page here) - it requires you have two floppy drives though.  If you're using a DOS-based windows then there's a similar utility called "Disk2FDI".  There's also a PCI card called the "Catweasel" that can let you read Amiga disks, or you could convert the disks to ADFs on a real Amiga and send them across a network/CD-R etc.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 09:29:43 PM »
assuming you have a rom file, go into the configuration and select the rom image from whatever directory its installed it.  read the docs that come with winUAE, its pretty straightforward.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 09:35:58 PM »
ok, i dont have 2 floppy drives, but does what was said about dos based windows mean i can use the command prompt to copy the files somehow?

Offline alx

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 09:42:04 PM »
Not entirely.  The problem is that while the Classic Amiga's floppy controller could read virtually every disk format known to man, the PC's is far more limited and cannot read Amiga disks.  There's a very cunning hack round this where you install two floppy drives and, by getting the machine to read one and then swap control to the other mid-read, get data off the Amiga disk.

The original program to manage this was "Disk2FDI".  It's a DOS program and requires certain hardware access that newer NT-based Windowses don't allow.  If you're running Windows 9x then this would be your best choice.

ADFRead does exactly the same thing but runs under WinNT and derivatives.  I'm guessing that you might be running Windows XP, in which case this is the program you'd want.  As far as I know, there's no such program for any other OS like Linux or MacOS (though if you've got a PC running Linux you could get a DOS startup disk and run Disk2FDI from there).

The two floppy drives is critical, however.  A standard PC with one floppy drive cannot read Amiga disks in any way.  You have to have either another drive, a catweasel or a Classic Amiga.

Offline hipoonios

• Show only replies by hipoonios
    • http://www.recordedamigagames.org
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 09:54:45 PM »
Err... Shouldn't that be "either transfer a Kickstart ROM image from your real Amiga or purchase Amiga Forever" ?!

Yes, but I assume he dont own an real Amiga.

Purchase Amiga Forever only for play a game sounds stupid to me. Also buy Amiga Forever will not help the Amiga. This has been dissused at English Amiga Board >  thread

There are better FREE choices. Amikit is probably the best choose if you want a nice pre-configured Workbench.

Note. I dont recommend anyone to use illegal kickstart roms :-)

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 09:56:58 PM »
im running two different os because im using 2 different pcs, as the one im trying to run the emulator on doesnt have a floppy drive at all, the computer with the floppy drive is on windows 2000 and the other on xp.                            The easiest way round this whole problem would be to get a real amiga, but that would cost even more, i sold my A1200 a few years ago for £20, im really regretting that now.

Offline alx

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 10:13:38 PM »
>that would cost even more, i sold my A1200 a few years ago for £20, im really regretting that now

If you did want to get a real Amiga you might be able to find one cheaper than you imagine.  I bought my A1200 a few years ago for about £20 (apologies if by some co-incidence that happened to be you and I stole your remaining Classic Machine - you don't live in Stratford, do you? :-P )

As for the whole legality of downloading kickstart ROMs, I can completely agree with people who think buying AF isn't worth it for just one or two games; Apple released System 7 for free use, which is a lot newer than WB1.3.  That said, Amigans have a very good reason to be against piracy in any form; rampant copying of games and applications was one reason (among many others, of course) for the platform's almost total demise in the first place.

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 11:23:27 PM »
hi, thankyou to everyone for all your help, i have got it working  :-D  and i live in sheffield so i dont think it was mine you bought, i sold mine to a couple of students, see it was such a mistake i can still picture the events perfectly, haha thanks again everyone