Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Linux PPC on G4 iBook - Which one is best  (Read 3311 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Linux PPC on G4 iBook - Which one is best
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:00:27 AM »
I have a friend that has lost their job and can't find another, so they have decided to go back into business for themselves.  Friend needs small business book keeping software and I read that the latest SUSE 10.1 has such a program included.  Before making that recommendation (and probably the download and installation for my friend who is computer illiterate), I thought I would ask the smartest computer community I know of first. (that's you guys)

Linux on the iBook the friend already has seems to be the best option for someone with no money to spend.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Re: Linux PPC on G4 iBook - Which one is best
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:08:56 AM »
I would really recommend Ubuntu for it. Its the best Linux distro atm imo.. I run it on my Peg2 and I've run it on a G5.

magnetic
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline NyQuil

• Show only replies by NyQuil
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:07:19 AM »
I agree with magnetic, Ubuntu works great on iBooks, and is one of the most user friendly OS's out there aswell. I'd go for kubuntu though as I don't like gnome, but that's just my opinion, both are pretty great.

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:59:30 AM »
Are you sure Linux is even a great option for someone who is computer illiterate?  I'm not that familiar with Macs these days, but generally I think MacOS is pretty good for people who just like doing their work, and don't have an interest in technology.  It might be quite a leap to go from MacOS to Linux.  I know Ubuntu is pretty good.  I use Xubuntu at home, which is also fine, but I feel a little less well documented than Ubuntu.  I think it would at least be worth looking into MacOS software at the same time.  I think most good accounting packages have demo versions that your friend could try first.  He/she may ind it worth spending some money if it provides better usability/productivity.

If you're going to settup the system for the friend anyway, maybe do a dual boot, so both paths could be esily evaluated.
Good good study, day day up!

Offline NyQuil

• Show only replies by NyQuil
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 09:37:40 AM »
I don't have a mac anymore so don't know if EasyUbuntu and Automatix is available for PPC, but if so I'd say yes. After installing everything that needs to be there, Ubuntu linux is almost just as user friendly as Mac OS. Even easier if the person using it has a Windows background.

My little sister changed to Ubuntu about a year ago and has no problems with it. She runs all the programs she needs (amsn with webcam support, limewire, xmms, VLC, Opera and some small games) and I don't want to think about how unstable her computer would become after using Windows for a while.  :-P