Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Toaster 2000 Flyer Ribbon cable pinout needed  (Read 6561 times)

Description:

Offline MediasigTopic starter

• Living in the past and making the future.
    • Show only replies by Mediasig
Toaster 2000 Flyer Ribbon cable pinout needed
« on: December 10, 2023, 02:17:05 AM »
Hello!

I found an older thread about this subject but when going to reply, the forum suggested it's been a long time and I should start a new one.  :)

I'm looking to created a new ribbon cable connecting my NewTek Flyer card to my Toaster 2000 card.  I've seen photos of a custom one and have a general idea of what I need to do.  I'd rather doing in knowing instead of guessing (and potentially destroying something in the process).

Does anyone have this information to share?

Thanks!
Greg

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
Re: Toaster 2000 Flyer Ribbon cable pinout needed
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 04:41:50 AM »
Welcome! I think I found something that might help. Look at pictures 10 and 11 below the large picture of the flyer. It's a standard 16 pin IDC ribbon cable with a "twist" in the middle. If that doesn't help I can pull the cover off of my A4000T Toaster Flyer and look.

https://shop.myamigashop.com/collections/amiga-video-toasters/products/video-toaster-flyer-by-newtek-nle-for-commodore-amiga-4000-4000t-3000-3000t-2000-2500-noser
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 05:28:10 AM by Jeff »

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 03:14:12 PM »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

The following users thanked this post: Jeff, Mediasig

Offline MediasigTopic starter

• Living in the past and making the future.
    • Show only replies by Mediasig
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 08:32:51 PM »
giZmo350 that's so much for this - that's perfect!

Jeff, I appreciate the pictures and info as well.  I've got a Toaster 4000 in my A4000, but currently having trouble launching 4.2 software to run the Flyer in it.  Toaster/Flyer has always worked fine in it. but now can't get it to boot the Toaster Screen now even with no cards in it.  I think it's an issue with the Amiga, but not sure where to start.

In the meantime, this will allow me to use the Flyer in my 2000 with my original Toaster card.  I get a bit tired of swapping these things out, but glad to have the extra.  ;)

Cheers,
Greg

Offline Tronman

• Show only replies by Tronman
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 03:02:03 AM »
Well it's been 24 years since I fixed Toaster Flyer systems for a living..  but does the Amiga boot up correctly by itself, will it run regular Amiga apps and games?  If yes, then what happens when you plug in the Toaster/Flyer, do you get a TNR, Toaster Not Responding error?  Is there any output from the Toaster's preview screen?

Quite a lot of the time, when we'd see systems come in for this, a thorough cleaning of the card edges and cleaning/blowing out with canned air of the mobo connectors would fix it.  You might also try gently unplugging and re-plugging each one of the individual boards on the Toaster itself.

Because Newtek was always a little odd about servicing a Toaster, we would collect the various boards of several Toasters until we had pretty much a unit made up completely of defective boards and then send that in.  Then we had a working Toaster full of known good spares.  We did this because it was difficult to cajole Newtek into sending us individual module boards.

I do not know if Newtek could or would still repair a Video Toaster or Flyer, as to them VT now pretty much stands for 'Vietnamese Television.'  (I read up on them a couple years ago, they're really huge in that market with both hard and software).

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 04:07:22 AM »
NewTek has not serviced these in years and with Vizrt now owning NewTek they defiantly won't do it. Maybe an old Toaster dealer if you're really lucky.

Offline Tronman

• Show only replies by Tronman
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 05:17:55 AM »
I think much of the issue would be getting parts and service data.  There may have been some ASICs on those boards which are simply nonexistent nowadays.