Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $755 and 8 days to go  (Read 4587 times)

Description:

Offline whiteb

• Show only replies by whiteb
Re: $755 and 8 days to go
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 05:51:53 AM »
Oh wow, and the zero feedback bidder, is a brand new bidder (august 06).. thats gotta be a shill bid account surely ?

I hope his fake account wins the auction lol.

A4000D - CSMKII//128MB/IDE CF/Indivision Scandoubler
A1200
A1000

(And now a Minimig) :>)

Offline PulsatingQuasar

• Show only replies by PulsatingQuasar
    • http://none
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 10:57:15 AM »
If it is then we will see another auction round on Ebay and then we can report it to Ebay.
BlizzardPPC powered!!
AmigaOne-XE G3 800 MHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 8500, OS4

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 01:35:15 PM »
Hello All, I wasn't going to intrude on your rampant speculation thread, but felt I had to defend myself from accusations of Shill bidding.

@dillinger

That is a - what - 11 year old piece of outdated hardware?

9 years old, actually - not 11, although this particular item may have been produced as late as 1998.

Take a look at the seller's purchase history and you will spot the ORIGINAL 040 BPPC card which was almost certainly used in the "hack job" imo.

"Hack job"??? Actually, no.  The upgrade iteslf is extremely easy to perform with virtually no risk of damage, given the correct equipment.  

£130 he paid for that! So not a bad profit margin there I'd say

Well done, an actual fact rather than rampant speculation verging on the libellous.

The bidders should just prey that he has done a better job than in the past with the hack and that really THIS card is not one he forgot to include in one of his previous"Spare Parts" auctions. Seems he has screwed-up the hack once or twice in the past (RIP)  Which is not difficult to do

The 2 bppc corpses in the previous auction were:
1 - a bad mistake from a long time ago, which resulted in a fried PPC - I DID however use this (already dead) board to practise removal of the 0x0 chip, and installation of a socket, in a possible attempt to resurrect the board in the case it was just a dead 0x0.

2 - A ppc I was given in exchange for a B1240 + scsi kit - which it transpired not only had damage to some traces, but turned out to be totally non-working aswell.  I won't be doing business with that person again.

Oh - please read the auction details from the spare parts auction, you know the bit where it says (and I quote) "If it says "not working" assume it's not working - if you can fix it, good for you."
Please also note the positive feedback from the buyer.

@Dnelsonfl, dillinger

I'd be a little concerned about that brand-new 0-feedback Ebayer pushing up the price (registered 8/8)

Yes, I was - that's why I removed his/her bids.  In the payment instructions I have stated "No bidders of less than +5 blah, blah, blah..."
There was also another 0-rated turkish bidder who pushed the price up to £410, and I also removed that.  Why Turkey??
Anyway, if I was so penny grabbing as to use Shill bidding I
a) would not do it with 8 days to go
b) would use someone's account whom I know with better feedback (eg my brother's account, which has 230-ish +feedback)
c) sure as hell would have set n account up before now to do it
d) Would probably not have 99.5% positive feedback
e) Would not be the kind of person who sells wireless amiga network cards at cost price to fellow Amiga.org-ers
f) etc, etc

@Lando

Looking at photo 3, he's put too much thermal paste on the PPC. Just a little ball a few mm in size would be enough.

Actually it is a little ball a few mm in size, I just spread it out nicely for the photo.

@WhiteB

Oh wow, and the zero feedback bidder, is a brand new bidder (august 06).. thats gotta be a shill bid account surely ?
I hope his fake account wins the auction lol.

Kindly keep your libellous accusations to yourself.

@All

There's a little button on the ebay auction, named "Ask seller a question" rather than wasting time in idle speculation why not try using it.

Oh, for the record a scan of the rework is submitted to the photo section, however it takes a few minutes to upload so I can't post a link yet.

Regards

Rich

PS If you have any doubts about my honesty, feel free to contact the ebay users on my feedback list.
Feel free also to ask: MrZammler, JJ, Morka, AmiJE, Lopos, Gavilan, and any others whom I have forgotten which I've done business with in the past.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 02:22:14 PM »
I bet that if the peeps here knew it was you selling the board this thread wouldn't have turned so negative ;-)

You know how pessimistic we all are :-P
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline justthatgood

• Show only replies by justthatgood
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 03:38:37 PM »
I'm pessimistic because I'm poor. I could really careless if people appear to screw people over, or get away with actually doing it. Right now in this point in time it's more then tempting to pull one over on someone to get ahead finacially.

Hey, the oil companies are doing the same thing to people all over the world, but they don't get punished. So why should people how want to make a quick buck to survive get that?
[color=008000]Pluto[/color]:Amiga4KD- 64040/16megs/1GB WD/PAR 2150/1942/WB3.0,3.1,3.9
[color=800080]Amanda[/color]:Amiga2KHD/A2620/8MegSupraRam2k/A2091/VLab

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 05:55:58 PM »
Would just like to say Boot_wb is an honest guy.  He sold me and others wireless network cards at cost.  He was also very understanding when I took some time to send him the money.  

I Know ebay makes people suspicious( and probably with good cause), but I think far too many people jump to the wrong conclusions far too quickly
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline dillinger

• Show only replies by dillinger
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 05:56:24 PM »
 @ BootWB

Well, the fact is you're not actually a totally honest trader, despite all your rants above. You listed the card and made a point of pointing out the fact that the: "PPC is a natural 240MHz 603e - NOT overclocked" at the very top of the listing, in a large bold font! The reason that point was made so clearly is because you understand, like the rest of us, that this is an important fact that would increase your own profits. So it was in your own interest to point it out in your listing.

However you "conveniently" forgot to mention the fact that the card is a 040 to 060 conversion/hack. You failed to, honestly, point out the fact that the card has undergone what can be a very stressful and damaging process for such an old card. That hack is far more potentially damaging than repositioning 3 resistors to "overclock" the card a few MHz - and you know it. So I don't really get your "honesty-logic" when you point out that the card is NOT overclocked, yet fail to tell people that its a 040>060 hack-job.

But then you know that honestly pointing the hack out would decrease the card's value significantly. So you just didn't mention it and deliberately did not show photos which would reveal the truth. So when I say you're not an honest trader; that's not "libellous" - it's just good old-fashioned FACT.

I'm sure there are quite a few people in your position who would just love for there to be some kind of admin restriction placed on "eBay speculation" threads on Amiga.org, because (like deliberately failing to fully inform people of your card's history) it would be very "convenient" for you personally and financially. But I think actually this thread has been very useful and has helped to inform people of the facts. That's the whole purpose of any discussion board, btw.
My Sys Specs:-
A1200 Desktop^Blizzard 060 (Phase5) with mk-IV SCSI Kit (8.5ROM)^128MB 60ns RAM^Int. 30GB HD^Ext. SCSI DVD drive & 9GB SCSI HD^Int. DCE ScanDoubler/FF^ MicroVitec 1701 Msync monitor^PCMCIA LAN Linked^AmigaOS 3.9+BlizKick+PFS3

Offline PaSha

• Show only replies by PaSha
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 06:21:47 PM »
yada, yada, yada.
The fact that quite a few Amigans seem to have way too much money to spend on hardware, is hardly the sellers fault. Things go for insane prices all the time.
So give the guy a break.

Nice-to-know: The 68060 on this board is a mask E41J chip, the latest revision 68060 (ie, the coolest running one with the fewest bugs, etc).
These were not available when p5 manufactured the BPPC/CSPPC boards. In fact, a lot of p5 boards were shipped with early prototype 68060 chips (hot & buggy).

'The 060 chip in this auction is not standard Phase5/DCE issue' :laughing:

No, it's better.

Offline LawlessPPC

• Show only replies by LawlessPPC
    • http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZlawlessppc
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2006, 06:39:45 PM »

weirdami wrote:
Isn't that more than they costed new?

no its not i have one of the very first ones and it cost me £659 plus p&p fom white knight technologies and bare in mind you cannot make an a1200 go quicker than this even now!!!

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 06:43:56 PM »
If you have a point Dillinger I'd like you to get to it, you have now twice questioned my honesty.
I don't see what your problem is - it obviously has something to do with the price rather than anything else.  I suggest you just don't bid.

You listed the card and made a point of pointing out the fact that the: "PPC is a natural 240MHz 603e - NOT overclocked" at the very top of the listing, in a large bold font! The reason that point was made so clearly is because you understand, like the rest of us, that this is an important fact that would increase your own profits. So it was in your own interest to point it out in your listing.

Yes, that is called "writing an advert".

You failed to, honestly, point out the fact that the card has undergone what can be a very stressful and damaging process for such an old card. That hack is far more potentially damaging than repositioning 3 resistors to "overclock" the card a few MHz - and you know it.

The risk in overclocking a card is not in repositioning the resistors, but in the electronic stress of changing voltage more quickly by having a higher frequency, thus increasing the energy dissipated within the IC, thus increasing heat and stress within said IC, and shortening its lifespan.  The problem with overclocking is bugger all to do with the soldering operation.

So I don't really get your "honesty-logic" when you point out that the card is NOT overclocked, yet fail to tell people that its a 040>060 hack-job.

Once again: "Hack job"??? Actually, no. The upgrade iteslf is extremely easy to perform with virtually no risk of damage, given the correct equipment.

The fact is removing a 68040 and replacing it with a 68060 is NOT a stressful operation given the right tools.  Yes, if you use a spade-ended soldering iron then you are going to make a pigs ear out of it.  Had the card undergone any damage during the conversion I would have pointed this out.  It did not.

I was trying to remain respectful of your position, hence taking each - ahem - point one by one, however when I get called a shill bidder I feel the need to defend myself.

I'm sure there are quite a few people in your position who would just love for there to be some kind of admin restriction placed on "eBay speculation" threads on Amiga.org, because (like deliberately failing to fully inform people of your card's history) it would be very "convenient" for you personally and financially.

That made me laugh, you'll have a hard time trying to find someone who respects personal freedoms - in principal and practise - more than myself.  What exactly is "my position"?    Where exactly have I suggested some sort of Admin restriction?

EDIT> PPC rework - the flaxy looking bits are leftover flux, rather than damage to the board.  I've tried removing them with a point plastic thing, so as not to damage the board - but I can't get it all off.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline lopos

• Show only replies by lopos
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006, 08:12:03 PM »

JJ wrote:
Would just like to say Boot_wb is an honest guy.  He sold me and others wireless network cards at cost.  He was also very understanding when I took some time to send him the money.  

I Know ebay makes people suspicious( and probably with good cause), but I think far too many people jump to the wrong conclusions far too quickly

I second that.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 08:21:40 PM »
where in wales u from lopos
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline lopos

• Show only replies by lopos
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 10:01:05 PM »

JJ wrote:
where in wales u from lopos

Blaenau Gwent, 10miles from Newport.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2006, 10:07:53 PM »
10 miles from newport is just too damm close to newport in my opinon :)

rhondda boy me

Offline OlecranonTopic starter

• Show only replies by Olecranon
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2006, 11:40:18 PM »

by LawlessPPC on 2006/8/13 12:39:45

no its not i have one of the very first ones and it cost me £659 plus p&p fom white knight technologies and bare in mind you cannot make an a1200 go quicker than this even now!!!

This makes me chuckle..  And it brings me to the original reason I started this thread.  It befuddles me how anyone can think paying $700+ to get their A1200 to a mind blowing (or perhaps numbing) 240Mhz is a good idea.  Having the fastest A1200 on the planet reminds me a bit of that joke about winning the special olympics.

I have no problems with the Ebay listing.  I'd love to get that kind of crazy money for some decade old hardware.  Anyone want to pay me $400 for a 900Mhz slot type AMD CPU?  :lol:

I know the old saying that something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it..  But when it comes to classic Amiga equipment, some people just dont know any better.

Offline steve30

• Show only replies by steve30
    • http://www.stevecoates.net
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 14, 2006, 08:31:46 AM »
I saw an overclocked BPPC/060/SCSI sell for abut £500 a few weeks ago.

I think it's because people want them, so will pay alot for them. I paid £110 for my a1200 and 1230, even though I could probably get a low spec PC for that.