Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interest in a Demoscene Party in the UK?  (Read 3739 times)

Description:

Offline a1200Topic starter

Interest in a Demoscene Party in the UK?
« on: December 28, 2005, 03:03:06 AM »
Also posted on aw.net (wanted to get this out to a wide Amiga audience):

I was just wondering how the Amiga/PC/Mac/8bit users on here would welcome a demoscene party here in the UK? Something like the Gathering or Assembly. There was one in 2005 in Devon called Sundown, but Devon is not a very central location, and I don't think it was particularly well marketed.

If there is some interest, perhaps I could get the big bash team to consider opening tickets on the basis of a full refund if the numbers don't appear.

So, let us know if there is interest and what disciplines (platforms/languages etc) you would want to participate in.

For those of you not convinced look at some of the galleries of the bigger shows. and tell me you would not like to be a part of something like that:

The Gathering 2005
Assembly '05

If you are not a coder, perhaps you are a composer, or maybe we could have an unconventional hardware mod compo or just come to spectate! Could even be integrated with BB?
Amiga A1200, 3.1 ROMs, Blizzard 1230 MKIV 128MB & FPU, 4GB DoM SSD, Workbench 3.1

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
Re: Interest in a Demoscene Party in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 04:00:54 AM »
Ahh Assembly... I'd kill to get to go to one of those. Especially of Future Crew ever did a "reunion tour." I hope all the folks over there on the other side of the pond give this venture a huge thumbs up!
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 02:47:36 AM »
:bump: This is too cool not to be noticed :bump:
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 04:28:53 AM »
There used to be an annual demoscene party in the UK called DejaVu, which is going back quite a bit now - 4 or 5 years since the last one I think?  Anyway, DejaVu had low attendance and a handful of competition entries.  It was organised (iirc) by the ukscene.org guys - the domain is now dead but I think some of the organisers, barog and sulphur, still frequent cfxweb.net?

I only know of a handful of UK sceners and most of them are inactive.  UK demogroups? None active on the Amiga as far as I know - not since Nerve Axis fell silent 5 or so years go.  Well, there is Fearmoths I suppose.

I remember the list of voters for one of the diskmags a while back (Eurochart or Showtime?) had about 5 or 6 UK people from ~200 voters.  Poland, Russia, Germany seem to be the most active.

Bear in mind that Assembly and TG are quite overrun with LAN Gamers 'pwning n00bs' - the real sceners are a distant second.    A purely demoscene party is going to attract much less interest.  TRSAC and Spoletium for example.  Scene parties tend to be over 2 or 3 days so it would have to be a venue with facilities - ie showers, toilets, eating and sleeping space etc.

Offline Dingo_aus

• Show only replies by Dingo_aus
    • http://www.users.on.net/~symes/
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 04:30:57 AM »

a1200 wrote:

I was just wondering how the Amiga/PC/Mac/8bit users on here would welcome a demoscene party here in the UK?

Check out the parties that are reported over on www.slayradio.org for the C64 community. Most of those are in the UK. So when you are including the 8-bit community, I think  the chaps over on slayradio would be a great way to get the numbers up quickly :)

I'd be there but it is a bit of a walk from Australia.
Australian and into robotics? Or want to be?
Visit Australian Amateur Robotics
http://www.users.on.net/~symes/

Offline a1200Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 12:33:25 AM »
Quite a bit of interest, I have spoke to 3cag members and they think that integrating Big Bash 4 with a demo contest will be the way to go. The next 3cag meeting is not too far away (a few weeks) I will try and attend that and report our ideas.

Oh for those who don't know, the organisers of Big Bash (UK Amiga shows) have a user group, see http://www.3cag.net
Amiga A1200, 3.1 ROMs, Blizzard 1230 MKIV 128MB & FPU, 4GB DoM SSD, Workbench 3.1

Offline reflect

• Show only replies by reflect
    • http://www.acggbg.org
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 02:03:01 AM »
We have a couple of pure demoscene parties here in Sweden still. Pure demoscene is perhaps wrong, but they have banned gamers (unless they play retro games). For example, Little Computer People which is very, very retro, aiming mostly for C64 and a little Amiga. Then you have CompuSphere and Underscore. Each of these events draws about 100-200 people, 90-98% from Sweden and the rest from other countries, mostly Northern Europe.

To up attendance a bit perhaps the scope doesn't have to be demos, but demos and retro. Just meeting other people with similar interests might be a factor here.

Good luck with your party, and I hope to see some news regarding it during 2006.

http://www.lcp.c64.org/
http://www.compusphere.org/
--
These are interesting times we live in. New machines in progress, new AmigaOS in progress.. userbase slowly, slowly growing..  which is a success in itself.

Offline parapete

• Show only replies by parapete
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 06:09:23 PM »
Well I'll be interested for sure, as will most of the other PC sceners in the UK! There is a scene in the UK that's gaining strength all the time, but there is a definite lack of demogroups made entirely of Brits. There's a fairly new ukscene website:

UKDemoscene.org

and a mailing list on which pubmeets are sporadically organised:

Mailing List

Also, most of us hang around on #ukscene on ircnet.

Sundown 2005 was a success (Pictures, Prods) and there are plans for another party this year. It was mostly PC sceners but there were a few Amiga guys present (Bonkers/Tulou and Xeron/Iris). Much fun was had! I will point Ruairi (Sundown organizer) towards this thread - maybe you can join forces!

There are plenty of active sceners in the UK, but because of the lack of parties, releases are infrequent. Anyone who has a PC with a high end graphics card should check out the last few Fairlight intros. The main coder (smash) is a Brit.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 06:31:14 PM »
talk to the people over at demoscene.tv they could advertice on their web tv for somthing like this and they would probbably open the idea welcome .Besides i think most people still interested in scene still watch that channel. Lots of cool amiga demoes running there btw.

a scene party is a great idea but it is something that needs to be well planed and organized as well as the coders need time to make demoes for the show.
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline smash

• Show only replies by smash
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 02:56:55 PM »
well, having been at assembly (and releasing there) the last 5 years, i'd love to see something like that in the uk.

however, the fact is, it's a huge amount of work and money to organise such an event - it takes the assembly guys most of the year, shedloads of money from sponsorship and huge resources to pull of. various people in the past have attempted to do it in the uk and failed completely to even get off the ground. but you can be sure, if you build it we'll come. =)

sundown is a nice, small but sustainable event, which works well for the number of attendees. it could grow to become a bigger event with support, though. so i hope people will head over to it this year.

anyone else into the scene should head to breakpoint, the biggest all-demoscene party with 1000 attendees and plenty of amiga releases too (about the only party that still has a load of decent amiga releases, unfortunately).

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 04:46:39 PM »
Count me in.

Offline bilko9070

• Show only replies by bilko9070
    • Http://www.retrogamingscoreboard.e7.to
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 05:50:26 PM »
@ parapete..  Cheers for the heads up on that UK scene site!..  Budleigh Salterton is only about 40 miles from me too!... :-)