Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Internet via WinUAE  (Read 5400 times)

Description:

Offline cpeel2300Topic starter

• Show only replies by cpeel2300
    • http://www.k23productions.com
Internet via WinUAE
« on: December 18, 2005, 03:39:53 PM »
Hello

Long-time Amiga user, first-time poster :)

I understand it's possible to connect to the Internet using WinUAE by ticking the 'bsdsocket.library emulation' checkbox in the misc section.  I've done this, but now I'm a bit stuck as to what to do next.  I have an HD-based Workbench 3.0 booting off Kickstart 3.1 - can someone point me in the right direction (or in the direction of a tutorial) please?

Thanks

Chris

Offline SuperTurbo

• Show only replies by SuperTurbo
Re: Internet via WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 04:13:09 PM »
You can try download one of these complete packages for UAE, like AmiKit.Then you got all the programs and configurations you need and much more.... There are other similar packages, but I forgot the name of them..  :-?
\\"I´ve got the flag!!\\"

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 06:01:52 PM »
Amiga In a Box and Amigasys 2.0 are both complete packages too.
By the way, on  a 3.1 install sould work aweb or voyager, but aga for browsing is painful so be sure you install p96 or cgx for rtg.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 06:55:22 PM »
This might sound kind of odd... but it drove me to the brink of insanty for years.

There is/was a bug in WinUAE with the bsdsocket.library which made WinUAE behave very strangely. I've not encountered it as of lately, but me and many many others that I've talked to have experienced this very bug, even in versions of WinUAE where it clearly stated that the bsdsocket.library was fixed.

Well, anyways, on to the bug itself... what happened was that when trying to access internet or anything related to TCP/IP it didn't seem to work. Though, if hitting the config button (to config WinUAE) and the ESC, hitting it again and then pressing ESC it did work. So, to download a tiny little file could involve pressing F12 and ESC like 20-30 times each. Very annoying.

But, like I said... I think this is fixed as of now. And besides me and my friends having seen this, I have never heard anyone else talk about this very bug.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline bilko9070

• Show only replies by bilko9070
    • Http://www.retrogamingscoreboard.e7.to
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 07:09:14 PM »
If you just install a browser like A-web or Ibrowse to your setup as it is you should be able to browse the web but you will have a much nice experience if you get a workbench setup which makes proper use of your graphic card!

There is a guide here to setting up a nice looking workbench..
http://guide.abime.net/home3.htm
Pay attention the the Picasso96 chapter for getting your gfx card to work!

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 07:26:35 PM »
Thanks all for the advice! :)  I'll try out that workbench guide and see what it takes me - thanks again!  :-D

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 09:28:46 PM »
Well, I've followed the tutorial and now have a Scalos+NewIcons set up.  Can't say I'm that keen on the icons though... ;)

I took a look at the AmiKit download and must say the screenshots look very impressive (almost OS4.0-ish?) I just finished downloading it and then noticed the 'Workbench 3.1 is not supported' caveat - argh!

Well, I've always been after the Kickstart 1.0, etc. ROMs so AmigaForever 2005 Plus Edition is slowly downloading to my PC as I type!

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 09:35:25 PM »

cpeel2300 wrote:
Hello

Long-time Amiga user, first-time poster :)

I understand it's possible to connect to the Internet using WinUAE by ticking the 'bsdsocket.library emulation' checkbox in the misc section.  I've done this, but now I'm a bit stuck as to what to do next.  I have an HD-based Workbench 3.0 booting off Kickstart 3.1 - can someone point me in the right direction (or in the direction of a tutorial) please?

Thanks

Chris

afaik, this should be it.. Just fire up your favorite internet program and you should be ready to go..