Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Civilization IV  (Read 684 times)

Description:

Offline countzeroTopic starter

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
Civilization IV
« on: October 31, 2005, 11:42:44 AM »
So it's out now. I'ld like to have opinions of other hardcore civ fans about this new sequel. I think the religion is a good touch to the game. I'm also very pleased to see the culture having much more importance than the Civ 3. But the biggest change (and suprise) for me till now was the importance of leaders. Leaders have become very powerful, so the wonders have become very important as well. My only complaint would about some strategic resources having much more impact on the game than others, destroying the balance in the game. Especially, marble, has become a very important resource to have in the beginning of the game, because it halves the production time of some wonders (and some important national wonders) as a result, civs having marble produce more wonders, and have more leaders, and become very difficult to beat...
any thoughts ?
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline jkirk

• Show only replies by jkirk
Re: Civilization IV
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 05:18:39 PM »
havn't played Civ 4 yet but i do own civ 2&3. i can't wait to give it a try but i have to wait till the price comes down. i am fed up with $45.00 and up games.

anyway in civ 3 i was real bad at using culture to take over towns. beats war and they can't do a thing about it without waging war. :lol:
The only stupid question is a question not asked.  

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 05:24:06 PM »

jkirk wrote:
havn't played Civ 4 yet but i do own civ 2&3. i can't wait to give it a try but i have to wait till the price comes down. i am fed up with $45.00 and up games.

Me too. These days I wait untill they're being sold at half price, and by that time the recommended machine needed to run them are cheaper too :-)
this space for rent

Offline jkirk

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 06:56:39 PM »

T_Bone wrote:

Me too. These days I wait untill they're being sold at half price, and by that time the recommended machine needed to run them are cheaper too :-)

ya know i never used to think about the price. i guess i started thinking when doom 3 and halflife 2 came out. $55.00 a game, this was ridiculous. :madashell: So now i am letting my wallet tell of my displeasure at the situation. :-)  

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 10:49:48 PM »
I've not bought Civ4 yet, but I will be soon.  Being a big Civ3 fan, what I'd like to see fixed is:

(all of these points are related to the single player game)

1.  If you have a small war with a country in (say) the year 3600BC, quite often they hate you for the remaining 6000 years of the game!  A lot of the time I find that all nations hate me for no reason.  If a nation is "gratious" towards me, it's not unusual for them to declare war with no provocation.  (when I say "me", I assume it's nothing personal).  Anyway, I'd like to see the enemy civs attitudes be a bit more realistic.

2.  The worker units on "autopilot" are rubbish!  All they do is build roads and mines, tearing up my carefully irrigated land that allows my cities to grow in size.  Putting them on manual gets very tedious and repetitive.

3.  The Civ AI's war tactics are really stupid too, especially in overseas wars.  Imagine you want to re-create the D-day landings and start to occupy an entire enemy continent.  I would send over dozens of battleships, 100 tanks and a huge amount of planes for cover (a lot of hardware).  However, the computer's attempt at a D-day landing will usually be 8 units maximum.  No match for a continent full of enemy ground units.

4.  Why can't I build a city in the mountains?

5.  Did anyone else find that jet fighters were hopeless at bombing anything?

Well, apart from a few annoying things (I'm sure there's more) I really love Civ3 :)

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 10:52:27 PM »

jkirk wrote:

$45 will probably pay 1 programmer for about 1 hour of work.  Imagine that there were dozens of programmers who worked for years on this project!  Software is unfortunately expensive to produce.

Offline jkirk

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 01:34:26 AM »
$45 will probably pay 1 programmer for about 1 hour of work. Imagine that there were dozens of programmers who worked for years on this project! Software is unfortunately expensive to produce.

if it went to the software house it might be diffrent but as it is the store takes a cut, the distributor takes a cut, the publisher takes a cut, then whatever is left goes to the developer. that is why independant software housesare dying on the vine. this is also why there are few inventive titles available.

unless you make publish and distribute the games youself you don't really make any money. musicians are in the same boat. i wouldn't mind paying more if the software houses saw that money. however in most cases they don't. :-(

Offline countzeroTopic starter

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 01:26:55 PM »
Hello smithy, I have some good and bad news for you.

smithy wrote:
I've not bought Civ4 yet, but I will be soon.  Being a big Civ3 fan, what I'd like to see fixed is:

(all of these points are related to the single player game)

1.  If you have a small war with a country in (say) the year 3600BC, quite often they hate you for the remaining 6000 years of the game!  A lot of the time I find that all nations hate me for no reason.  If a nation is "gratious" towards me, it's not unusual for them to declare war with no provocation.  (when I say "me", I assume it's nothing personal).  Anyway, I'd like to see the enemy civs attitudes be a bit more realistic.

in Civ4 you can see what attitude modifier applies to each Civilization in the diplomacy screen. So you know why they hate you. I have not played the game long enough yet to see if war declaration modifier stays until the end of the game. I usually don't wage war to anybody anyway (not worth the hassle most of the time)

Some things I've learned from Civ3 and the modifiers I see at Civ4, they usually hate you because ;

1 - borders are intersecting (cultural influence overlap)
2 - You have some resource-tech they're looking for
3 - You have a close ranking and they see competition
4 - They're in a no win situation (this is usually when a gratious country declares war)
5 - Because everybody hates you (this does happen, and you can also use it for your cause) when somebody declares war at you, try to get some ppl on your side as quick as you can. or everybody will start declaring war at you.

2.  The worker units on "autopilot" are rubbish!  All they do is build roads and mines, tearing up my carefully irrigated land that allows my cities to grow in size.  Putting them on manual gets very tedious and repetitive.

Arrgh ... unfortunately workers are still quite dumb. They cut forests, destroy farms, and do anything possible to damage your setup.

by the way, forests are actually useful to keep in civ4. They provide 0.4 points cleanness to the city, and they can be upgraded with the lumberjack improvement for more production (like mines for hills)

3.  The Civ AI's war tactics are really stupid too, especially in overseas wars.  Imagine you want to re-create the D-day landings and start to occupy an entire enemy continent.  I would send over dozens of battleships, 100 tanks and a huge amount of planes for cover (a lot of hardware).  However, the computer's attempt at a D-day landing will usually be 8 units maximum.  No match for a continent full of enemy ground units.

depending on the difficulty level, actually I have encountered some good planned invasions in civ3. But sometimes the computer makes suicide attacks, if it can't find anything to do more useful (in a no win situation).

4.  Why can't I build a city in the mountains?

Mountains are impassable in civ4. let alone building cities. and no bonuses, no production. Also glaciers. Maybe they become passable with some late technology.

By the way, before you buy it, maybe it's better to check if it will run on your setup. I read that many people have had problems running the game. For me it runs perfectly on my p4 2.4 with ati 9000 128mb. Little bit slow sometimes.
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline Chunder

• Show only replies by Chunder
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 04:42:08 PM »
For me it runs perfectly on my p4 2.4 with ati 9000 128mb. Little bit slow sometimes.

Freckin Nora! Slow on that kind of processor - I'm going to have to go and look/laugh at the minimum and recommended specifications!

(I'm more interested to know how well it plays on the Mac, as I want it for my mini...)
Pimp My Amiga  8-)

Offline jkirk

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 04:53:01 PM »
Freckin Nora! Slow on that kind of processor - I'm going to have to go and look/laugh at the minimum and recommended specifications!

i have learned that the minimum specs are just the minimum you need to be able to run a prog but not run perfectly.
the reccomended specs are closer to the actual minimum imo.

as for the slowdown the videocard is probably what is slowing it down. they keep adding to games forcing a faster vid card or possibly total ram available to the game may play a part in this.