Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Warning : Paypal Visa  (Read 1279 times)

Description:

Warning : Paypal Visa
« on: June 22, 2005, 10:26:01 PM »
Not Amiga related, just a public service warning folks.  

If you have the Paypal Visa card (Providian), check your interest rates.  I use automatic bill pay, so I hardly ever look at the physical bill, except the due data and amount.  Apparently at some point in the last couple of months, my Paypal Visa card went from 9.9% to 29.99% without any notice (or reason) whatsoever.  This meant (for me) about $100 per month in interest alone.

Needless to say, don't let this happen to you, and if you don't pay close attention to things, it'll happen in a blink of an eye and it's little tricks like these which are keeping people down and bankrupt.

I guess Ebay decided that Paypal wasn't gouging people enough when they took over.

Wayne

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
Re: Warning : Paypal Visa
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 12:18:03 AM »
Gee, that just seems a tad bit wrong, is there an official government watch-dog you can contact? As a jump like that seems a tad excessive.

Offline metalman

• Show only replies by metalman
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 12:37:09 AM »
Providian who offers "Branded" charge cards is a widely known for gouging its customers with high interest charges and late fees.

Providian Shares Drop As Fraud Investigation Continues

Providian shares dropped for a fourth day on June 4 amidst fear that a three week-long investigation into the sales and collection practices of the company could drag on. Shares have fallen 21 per cent this week and 38 per cent since the consumer fraud investigation began.

Providian customer complaints

I recommend CLOSING any account you might have with Providian, Capital One, MBNA or Wells Fargo, Immediately!
Lan astaslem
The Peacemaker

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 11:23:52 PM »

I recommend CLOSING any account you might have with Providian, Capital One, MBNA or Wells Fargo, Immediately!

Umm, doesn't that sort of cancel out pretty much any card you can get except for Discover or Diner's Club?

I don't think I've ever seen a Visa or MC that wasn't from one of those companies.
Professional Expatriate

Offline metalman

• Show only replies by metalman
Lan astaslem
The Peacemaker

Offline NoFastMem

• Show only replies by NoFastMem
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 06:32:29 PM »
That's horrible... And probably one of the reasons I'll never touch a credit card. Their primary function seems to be to keep people living several weeks ahead of their wages and ripe to be f**ked over at any opportunity.
AKA that_punk_guy