Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Allergies" or simply a mere cold?  (Read 2735 times)

Description:

Offline Floid

• Show all replies
Re: "Allergies" or simply a mere cold?
« on: April 15, 2005, 02:41:08 PM »

Cymric wrote:
[...] the other is to find medication containing sodium cromoglycate: I've found the eyedrops containing this compound to be a boon, and I know that at least in the Netherlands, a nose spray is available too. The big advantage is that it doesn't get you wired: although what it does precisely is not known it is thought to 'stabilise' certain cells in your body which produce the histamin you get puffy eyes and a runny nose from.

I think that's "NasalCrom" over here in the US (never seen eye drops with it, but I haven't really been looking) ... I'll second it to the extent that, if you ever do need a nasal spray without added decongestant and so on, it's a whole heck of a lot less irritating than the "plain" sting-like-hell saline formulations.

Not sure if it was explicitly stated, but exposure to one kind of pollen can rig you up to be susceptible to other kinds, too.  [While IMHO, the sudden change in relative humidity at the end of the heating season doesn't help, but the hygrometer here still says "--%," so maybe I'm just deluding myself.]