Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New (?) Mini mac pics  (Read 10270 times)

Description:

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: New (?) Mini mac pics
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 09:48:56 PM »
This looks cool.  If it's quiet enough I'll probably get one for general browsing/email use.   The G4 iMacs and eMacs were fairly noisy.  I was looking for an AMD PIC but this will probably be more interesting in the long run.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 09:55:47 PM »

DonnyEMU wrote:
I wondered when people were talking about the Mac MINI if they were talking about this..

The original Mac Mini..

Does Apple know it stole another product name??

The Real Mac Mini

PS Why would want want an apple mac mini, with such lame built in graphics.. 32 megs and a radeon 9200.. It's a little behind the times.. It won't stand up to games that use a lot of texture memory. This is like buying a PC that's graphics is DirectX7 or 8 compatible, when people regularly buy something that is 9 and above. and I am sorry 1.2 Ghz? I'd rather buy a Mini ITX motherboard and build for myself..

This Apple box should be able to handle XBOX style game ports. ATI's 9200 is a DirectX 8 class VPU.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 10:04:11 PM »

adolescent wrote:
This looks cool.  If it's quiet enough I'll probably get one for general browsing/email use.   The G4 iMacs and eMacs were fairly noisy.  I was looking for an AMD PIC but this will probably be more interesting in the long run.

PC system unit for $499 is slightly different fish when compared to AMD’s PIC**(~$249) i.e. its aimed at third world countries.

**Reference design i.e. manufactured by companies such as Samsung.

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2005, 10:04:53 PM »
Yes a good point directx 8 vs 9... The big difference is the lack of capability to do HLSL style shaders above a version 2.0 shader.This means no cinema quality graphics fx (sort of like sticking a mac with a Geforce 3TI200 or Gforce 4MX instead of a GeForce FX card.  Even Nvidia's CG, and ATI's current shader technology are improved for hardware rendering. Speaking of the XBOX.. The Xbox itself has a better graphics engine than this puppy..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com

Offline Hammer

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 10:12:21 PM »

Wayne wrote:
Matt,

Keep in mind that it's 100% expandable, but not in the way that you have grown accustomed to as a PC or Amiga user.  The Macs depend on USB and firewire 100% for expansion, pretty much exactly like the old 500 used to rely on that one connector slot on the side.  There are LOTS of expansion parts for the Macintosh, but again, it's left up to the USER to buy only what THEY need.

Wayne

Not quite 100% expandable e.g. I don’t think one could replace the GPU card, unless it uses mini-AGP cards in certain modern laptops.

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 10:20:04 PM »
Donny,

Keep in mind that at the current time, the Mac (ttbomk) doesn't really have any games or applications which would substantially stress a 9200.  Not my choice of video either, but I understand why it was chosen.

If you need more than a 9200 video card will offer, you really wouldn't be looking at a $499 mac in the first place.

Wayne

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2005, 10:21:43 PM »
Hammer,

I wasn't thinking internal expansion, I was thinking external expansion, like memory readers, printers, etcetera.

Wayne

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2005, 10:25:09 PM »

bloodline wrote:
This is the fist time I've ever thought a Mac was cool... this IS cool!!!

Come on it can´t be the first time?
Colour Classic?
Powerbook 540c? Dont say you didn´t wanted to run WB3.1 on that?
Although not Apple: Umax Pulsar? With a theoretical maximum of 8 CPUs!!!!
So Macs have been cooler before. 8-)
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Hammer

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 10:29:25 PM »

DonnyEMU wrote:
Yes a good point directx 8 vs 9... The big difference is the lack of capability to do HLSL style shaders above a version 2.0 shader.This means no cinema quality graphics fx (sort of like sticking a mac with a Geforce 3TI200 or Gforce 4MX instead of a GeForce FX card.  Even Nvidia's CG, and ATI's current shader technology are improved for hardware rendering. Speaking of the XBOX.. The Xbox itself has a better graphics engine than this puppy..

Even with an improved GPU core (closer to NV25(Geforce 4 TI)) compared to Geforce3; XBOX’s NV2A performance is about same as Geforce3 TI-200 due to shared memory bus.

The said Apple box has the benefit of a real CPU compared X-BOX’s Celeron/Pentium III hybrid i.e. comparable to throwing in an Athlon XP/Sempr0n instead of a Duron.

Offline DonnyEMU

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2005, 10:49:56 PM »
As much as I like the fact that Apple is yet again tempting into the low-end market, my point is there is a certain level of graphics standard that most current even value pc's keep to  functionality.  My point is, you can get a much nicer "value" pc at that price.. The $499 is also hype if you add in a dvd burner (nice one) and wireless..

-Don
Don Burnett Developer
don@donburnett.com

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2005, 10:52:35 PM »
Donny,

I have no doubt it's all hype, but it will be enough to get thousands (who're either curious about OSX or pissed off at Windows spyware and virii) to try the Mac.  That's all they want, even if it's a cost loser.

It's the "the first hit is free" drug sales mindset.

I think the bigger thing will be that it pretty much squashes any idea that either Genesi or AI/KMOS ever had about building some mystical PPC motherboard to run Linux on.  Why would anyone (other than a system integrator like Tivo) buy a $700 motherboard when they can just buy a mini-mac and put the guts in their own case for $500 (probably much less in qty, or later as the hype settles).

Wayne

Offline DonnyEMU

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2005, 11:13:12 PM »
I agree with you. The smartest thing they could ever do is just SELL OS/4 to Mac users.. Even mini-mac users..

-Don

PS Ewwe did I let that slip as a freudian? I mean of course AmigaOS 4 (not OS/2 4.0)
Don Burnett Developer
don@donburnett.com

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2005, 11:22:04 PM »
This has to be the best thing to happen to Apple since the iPod.
I can see this little baby selling quite well.
Obviously not enough to compete against the market as a whole (or at least yet), but it is a long strain up hill. But this certainly is beneficial to the Macintosh platform as a whole I think.

I for one am looking forward to its release, and I'm playing with the idea of getting one as a second-Mac, as I'm sure the millions of other Mac fans around the world are too. I agree with Wayne about it putting a nail in the Amiga's coffin, however it may encourage Amiga hardware manufacturers to start rethinking their strategies and make stricter price targets. If that is the price of hope for a more diverse computer industry then it is ok with me for I am sick of it being nearly 100% x86/Windows.

Heck, even if the Mac had 95% market share I would still like some level of serious competition (as it stands market share/popularity of other OS's against MS is laughable at best.. at least in the HOME market.)
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2005, 11:23:03 PM »
@Wayne
Note that, TiVO (for PMP device) has recently went for AMD Alchemy Au1200 (SoC Enhanced-MIPS32 core), while Series2™ TiVo ® DVR* are MIPS based (NEC and BCM/Broadcom). BCM7040 still handles encoding side for both Series1 and Series2.

Nemesis for PPC in the embedded space would be MIPS and ARM based.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2005, 11:31:44 PM »
by Zac67 on 2005/1/11 16:20:37

If there's any chance AROS is ported to this, I'll get one. Heck - if Hyperion ports OS4 to the Mac I'll pay $150 easily.

There is a bounty for getting AROS running hosted on OS-X.  How much of a jump from hosted to native on a Mac, I really couldn't tell you.

Dammy
TeamAROS
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 12, 2005, 12:07:55 AM »

Dan wrote:

bloodline wrote:
This is the fist time I've ever thought a Mac was cool... this IS cool!!!

Come on it can´t be the first time?
Colour Classic?
Powerbook 540c? Dont say you didn´t wanted to run WB3.1 on that?
Although not Apple: Umax Pulsar? With a theoretical maximum of 8 CPUs!!!!
So Macs have been cooler before. 8-)

You are right, I do like the PowerBook G4, but it's not as attractive as the MiniMAC