Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Posting guidelines (Feb 09, 2003)  (Read 11998 times)

Description:

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
Re: New Posting guidelines (Feb 09, 2003)
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2003, 03:09:12 AM »
What was the last Troll Fest?

Hey, that sounds good. Wayne could put out a line in Troll Fest T-shirts.

What game used to have a green troll face on the box? Thats your Troll sorted. How about the text?

It was some sort of gothic-looking font, if it was a font.

I think it was Hermidal?:huh: :-? :huh:
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2003, 03:34:05 AM »
Dangit bill, *I* wanted to post next to Darrin!
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2003, 04:05:37 AM »
I know many people are hoping for an end to 'trolling'...and I am hoping for something related to that....and end to the relentless 'counter trolling'.

Whereby people try to shut down differing ideas by playing the 'troll' card.

Perhaps now, this will be put to rest...if the post hasn't been moderated, its not a troll post.

ooops, I think I just started the anti-counter trolling movement...... :-o  :-o

Offline MarkTime

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2003, 04:10:02 AM »
Congratulations on the wedding.

I got married last year.  Critics will say we are still in our 'honeymoon' phase...well whatever it is, it rocks.

Best Wishes

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2003, 09:12:24 AM »
and i thought this would be old posting guidelines, which are common sense.  :-D

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2003, 01:30:03 PM »
@mono,

First, posters here rarely demonstrate common sense :-)  Secondly, in light of the first fact, I thought perhaps there was a need to write them down. :-)

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2003, 02:44:19 PM »
@paul-gadd

maybe we should sighn up on http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/ to post this type of stuff or keep it for www.ann.lu :-D
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2003, 04:41:27 PM »

MarkTime wrote:
Congratulations on the wedding.

I got married last year.  Critics will say we are still in our 'honeymoon' phase...well whatever it is, it rocks.

Best Wishes

Thanks mate :-)

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the flight.  My fiance is an Aussie so we're having to fly from the USA to Perth via Malaysia.  From the time we get on the first aircraft to the time we get off the last one is over 26 hours... and my laptop battery only lasts 3 hours!!!!   :-o
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2003, 04:54:34 PM »

We will not however tolerate excessive posting promoting drug use or other illegal activities. It's not funny, it's annoying, and it's unacceptable.

Hooray! 420dude was beginning to get on my nerves, tbh.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2003, 05:06:19 PM »
We will not however tolerate excessive posting promoting drug use or other illegal activities.
Of course posting about drug use is not illegal.  If it were then the High Times magazine would have been shut down by now.  Countless movies would have never been made.  Freedom of expression and freedom of speech guarantee this as a legal right.

Of course you have every right to ban any form of expression or speech on your forum, I'm just pointing out that if you are doing it for legal reasons then you need not worry about it.  Only if people were conspiring to commit an illegal act should you worry, ie: setting up drug deals or piracy transactions. Simply discussing or even advocating is perfectly legal in the US and most other countries.

Also, the No posting about illegal activities rule is very blanketing.  Technically I couldn't mention the fact I like to speed when I drive or that I placed a bet on the Super Bowl (I didn't, just an example) or that I paid for a lap dance at the super bowl party (illegal in my part of the world for some stupid reason).  If you simply want to stop 420Dude's advocating drugs then just make a rule that says "No Advocating Of Illegal Drug Use" and leave it at that.

And oh yeah, you should also remember that not all your users live in the US so what's illegal in the US might not be in other countries.  You might wanna post a link to all the laws in your country or state so people can be informed of what illegal activites thet can't talk about.  ;-)

I know people will think I'm being anal here but with rules you gotta be clear and not allow them to be open to ambiguity.  I've participated on forums with MUCH tighter posting rules and had no problem with it, I just think the wording should be clearer.  With statements like This includes image posting I wonder if pictures like this: :quickdraw:  :smack:  :whack:  :ak47:  and :destroy:  break any rules as they seem to advocate violance.  Obviously a bit of sarcasim there but I think I made my point.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2003, 05:21:47 PM »
Yes Sarge!

I agree Wayne. I`m right with you on this one.

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2003, 05:24:58 PM »
Mike,

Please don't be pedantic over this issue.  There is a forest beyond the trees.  The rule was posted in the form it is for two reasons.  

1) Specific users have continually misused the forum to continually spread their "I'm stoned, you should be too" propoganda.

2) It's annoying to everyone around.  Even those who consider these users to be funny find their posts annoying considering they are in EVERY TOPIC.

As such, I had to write it down.  I cannot play "language police" and define every subtlety for the over 200 languages on the planet.  The point, which you are well aware of is that this is not a place where anyone should feel free to continually post stories, comments and pictures of bongs, smoking, or getting high in every single topic they want to.

I was asked by over a dozen members to simply ban one specific person.  Rather than to do that, I wrote the new rule, then issued a strong request, pointing out the new rule.  

Offline MarkTime

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2003, 05:25:26 PM »
Glaucus,

As I keep telling everyone, I happen to love this subject....so I will pontificate at great length, to everyone's chagrin, I'm sure...smiles

But while I can see the point you are trying to make, which is that not posting about illegal activities is overly broad....the examples you gave, I am not sure are impressive.

So you can't promote speeding, gambling, or lap dancing either....

uhmmm let me play devil's advocate and say 'good'.  Those are all bad things, and this is an amiga website....(and I am playing devil's advocate...but its fun!)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2003, 05:25:27 PM »
@Glaucus

I'm just pointing out that if you are doing it for legal reasons then you need not worry about it.

IMO it's not for fear of legal retribution, it's more along the lines of good taste and the overall theme of the site.

An off the cuff comment once and a while wont likely get moderated.

Posting "Hey I'm soo stoned, my dog is stoned, my gold fish is stoned, I have ganji comming out my ears, you should be stoned too, look at this pic of ganji" in every thread OT *WILL* get moderated.

While OT conversation is permitted, the line must be drawn somewhere.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2003, 05:31:26 PM »

Ah darn, I really love 2 of those 3 you mentioned ;-)
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

« Reply #29 from previous page: February 10, 2003, 05:34:12 PM »

redrumloa wrote:

Ah darn, I really love 2 of those 3 you mentioned ;-)
In the spirit of Glaucus' "be specific" reply, I just gotta ask....So you "really love" giving lap dances?

I digress before I get moderated  :-D