Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: external harddrive cabinet for more than one drive. Does it exist?  (Read 2412 times)

Description:

Offline jonssonjTopic starter

• Show only replies by jonssonj
external harddrive cabinet for more than one drive. Does it exist?
« on: September 07, 2004, 12:36:30 PM »
Hello everyone!

I wonder if someone knows of an harddrive cabinet that can have more than one harddrive in it and that you can connect to the usb or firewire port on your computer?

BR
/Jörgen Jönsson

Offline Acill

Re: external harddrive cabinet for more than one drive. Does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 03:13:08 PM »
SCSI has them, but not USB or Firewire. The interfaces dont work with
that way unless you connect them through a hub internaly, but it could
be done. Make one and market it to a bid time vender so you can be
rich!!
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline amiga1260

• Show only replies by amiga1260
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 03:17:20 PM »
You could buy a SCSI tower and use USB SCSI controller. But it will be very expensive to buy SCSI harddisks.

Offline DanDude

• Show only replies by DanDude
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 04:16:51 PM »
Here's an example.
#AmIRC
mesra.dal.net or hotspeed.dal.net
irc2.beyondirc.net

Offline DanDude

• Show only replies by DanDude
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 04:24:09 PM »
I wouldn't say that....

Take a look over here.  Don't forget to purchase the SCA80-pin adaptors if you need to hook up to your 50-pin connector.  That's what I did with mine.  I have 3 9GB hi-speed SCSIs on my Toaster/Flyer 4000 and I bought those for $20 each brand new!  No joke!  Hmm...I need 40 gigs now...
#AmIRC
mesra.dal.net or hotspeed.dal.net
irc2.beyondirc.net

Offline Acill

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 06:55:43 PM »
Keep in mind he is asking about a USB or Firewire interace driver
tower. I just mentioned SCSI so he could get an idea and maybe build
one.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 08:50:32 PM »

Acill wrote:
SCSI has them, but not USB or Firewire. The interfaces dont work with
that way unless you connect them through a hub internaly, but it could
be done. Make one and market it to a bid time vender so you can be
rich!!
I think there may be a grand total of *one* Firewire to SCSI adapter on the market that actually supports a full 7-device chain, rather than 'point-to-point' bridging.

In turn, I found that one on eBay long ago, and it was actually a pre-certification part* (prototype, or Taiwan-only hardware?) from a no-name vendor.

YMMV.  I think there are some multi-device USB/Firewire enclosures around, but they're rather rare and expensive, and probably 90% of them are using one bridge per device (with Firewire enclosures stringing things together with a simple Firewire chain internally, and USB generally just not showing up past one or two devices).

Software support for anything that actually does bridge a full chain is probably going to be rare, since that would demand the Firewire peripheral act like a full host-adapter, and require the driver support of one... single device bridges can 'cheat,' counting on the backing bus to handle a lot of the complexity for them, and just passing device commands and data back and forth without having to be very 'smart' (and thus proprietary**) themselves.

*Well, a FCC ID was present, but rather odd, in terms of referring to the manufacturer without being a product-specific string.

**Actually, I have no idea how 'proprietary' things like the Oxford 911 are in the grand scheme of things, but since they've become de-facto standards on par with the old ST-506 or IDE interfaces themselves, it's sort of a moot point.  Everything that claims support for 'Firewire drives' supports them, while I expect any true HBAs are going to demand completely different software that nobody's known to write yet, considering they're practically unobtainium.

Offline jonssonjTopic starter

• Show only replies by jonssonj
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 12:04:18 PM »
I think it's very strange that no-one has produced a single box with four 3.5" IDE places and with an built in usb hub and one external usb connection to the computer.

I think that this should not be so hard for an manufacturer to do, but maybe I'm missing something.

well, I guess I will have to buy four separate external usb harddrives then.

/Jörgen

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 01:32:01 PM »
well, I guess I will have to buy four separate external usb harddrives then

I have a cheapo external Firewire HD but it can daisy chain other devices, it can also take USB 2.0 but can't daisy chain it, Firewire is faster anyway.

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 02:33:01 PM »
Build it yourself! I've helped making a custom SCSI tower out of an old PC miditower... can't be that hard to do the same but with USB.

Cut the tower in half right under the 5.25" bays. Install your USBhub and USB->IDE interfaces. Power button turn on the cabinet and Reset/turbobuttons can either be ignored or be used to turn of devices in the cabinet. Power Led=Cabinet Power, HD Led=One device, Turbo Led=Another device (add more leds as you wish or install multi coloured leds and have them show different collor for different devices). Connect the hubpower to the AT PSU so everything gets powerd on at the same time.

The imagination is the limiting faktor as it's pritty cheap to do. An old AT miditower cost nothing, cutting it to peises cost nothing. Use some spare leds scattered around saves you some $... only thing that realy cost anything is the USB converter and hub... but that should be nothing compared to prebuilt units and you can't put a pricetag on the "I MADE THIS" feeling.

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 09:46:01 PM »
Just because of that I had to make another SCSI tower just to prove to myself that it was as easy as I remembered it to be.

Well.. took a few hours to convert the tower (it's now about as solid as a prebuilt unit)... only 2 thing left, cutting of the outer panel of the tower (it's a bit to much to cut with an ordinary hacksaw so I'll wait 'till I have the right equipment) and then solder a custom cable (25pin->3*50pin->25pin) and then the tower is ready to use (not "done" though, want to add some leds for drive activity aswell).

Only question now is, what shall I do with this? Doesn't have a real need for the SCSI tower... and on the other hand I didn't have a need at all for the extra AT tower so. :-D