Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Make y'r own Windows.  (Read 873 times)

Description:

Offline seerTopic starter

• Show only replies by seer
Make y'r own Windows.
« on: September 04, 2004, 10:03:20 AM »
Well sort off... I guess some of you are familiar with Lite98 and liteXP (or whatever it's called). It gives you the ability to ripp out IE and other stuff from Windows.. The "bad" part about that is that you do this after installation.

A better way would be to not install unnneeded stuff.. Tho I would still install IE (Needed for Windows update) there are lots of stuff I don't need.. Like every printerdriver known to man, almost every sound card and all GFX cards drivers..

And worse.. XP doesn't even know my GFX and IIRC soundcard anyway, so why keep all those unneeded and unwanted drivers ? In theory, not having those drivers on the CD should make detecting hardware faster (it's not that faster).

The "answer" is nLite. This little program does what many want, an creating an automated (unattend) install of Windows 2000 / XP / Server2003. All you need is an (original) install CD.

It creates a new install CD, lets you select which components you want to get rid of (there are a lot) and set several options for installation (Like administrator password, key code) and even little things like no themes (Theat blue green stuff in XP) and classic control panel as default.

Best thing; put in your own needed drivers (so they are up to date and don't need updating after install) and integrate the latest service pack :-)

For those that need to install there PC often for whatever reason give it a try. It's free.

(No, I'm in no way related to ths program, other then I have a perfect tool to use at work making custom install CD's for our PC's. Now all it needs is a way to integrate MS Office  :-) )
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
Re: Make y'r own Windows.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 11:24:40 AM »
You may want to checkout this Link too, This contains info on how to slipstream office into a windows install cd/dvd.
Ni72ous

Offline JonoPike

• Show only replies by JonoPike
    • http://www.freewebs.com/jonopike
Re: Make y'r own Windows.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 12:39:08 PM »
@NitrousB
We come into this world defenseless. That's why God gave us baseball bats. Well, he gave us trees, but we knew what he meant.

It's a shame you're on the wrong track...
Hopefully everything is gonna work out good
for you in the future!
 :-)