Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A stand.  (Read 6594 times)

Description:

A stand.
« on: August 31, 2004, 06:08:15 PM »
Good morning ladies and gentlemen,

I know this will draw fire from the more liberal amongst you, but a line has been drawn in the sand where our policies are concerned.  

This morning, I took action to remove a couple of users from the site based on both their open defiance of posted policies against software piracy, and constant complaints from other users about the harrassing nature of these two individuals.  

I did not take these actions lightly, nor did I act rashly and without a lot of thought. I had in fact hoped -- indeed tried many times -- to give them the benefit of doubt to no avail.

Please understand that this is NOT censorship, so I really don't want to hear the same people with the typical cries of censorship every time a choice is made about the operation of this site.  Censorship is about preventing the expression of ideas.  This is not.  This is about two specific people who either could not, or would not respect the rules set forth by the team here at Amiga.org.  Rules which are in place specifically to keep this site going.

The team and I here at Amiga.org want our visitors to be comfortable and find using this site to be an enjoyable experience.  To do that, occassionally difficult choices must be made, and the policies that we have posted are taken and held very seriously.

Without intending to make this a personal matter or attack, the two accounts in question are "Paul_Gadd" and "BoingBoss" (aka Doommaster, aka Amimaster, aka.....)

Doomy, our favorite troll of all time, is like a {bleep}roach who has a habit of never going away -- despite being told he's not welcomed several times -- so if anyone notices him back online using yet another account, please let me know as soon as possible so that I might adjust our software ban accordingly.

If either of these individuals wants to contact me via e-mail and explain why they are constantly in violation of our terms of service, I might be prone to reconsider.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: A stand.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 06:17:44 PM »
Thank you.

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 06:21:32 PM »
Noted.  Thanks, Wayne!
Michael

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 06:25:03 PM »
Well thats my daily dose of chuckles down the pan!!

:-)

WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 06:25:18 PM »
Good riddance.  I was generally amused at his nonsensical ramblings.  But, when he moved onto ripping people off that's thats when it got un-funny...  

I applaud your decision.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 06:26:40 PM »
Tho in a way I could enjoy Doomy sometimes, never had a problem with Paul_gadd, it seems like a good decision.

Doomy will be back offcourse, you can count on that..
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 06:29:14 PM »
But, when he moved onto ripping people off that's thats when it got un-funny...

Good point well made there.. indeed.
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 06:57:52 PM »
Does anyone have Doomys real e-mail address? I am waiting to receive an A2000 system from him, and have no other way of communicating, now that he's banned.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 07:00:55 PM »
Hiya, I'm not criticising the decision, and I don't want to direct this question at Wayne, but can someone please point out where Doomy appears to have ripped people off, and also what Paul_Gadd did - I haven't seen him post in ages - I'm very curious.
I like Amigas

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »
Most of the posts have already been removed or edited by the staff.  There was a lengthy thread on Doomy's ebay situation earlier, but I don't know where that was.  Paul had been active as of late, being rather rude and offensive, not to mention continually providing links to pirated software.  Not cool.  Not acceptable.

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 07:13:34 PM »
These were both fair dismissals, having been in a similar situation I know it's not easy on Wayne to make the decision, but this was the right thing to do.
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 08:14:30 PM »
While I can't comment on the situation with Paul Gadd, the whole thing with DoomMaster/BoingBoss ... well, good riddance to bad baggage.

When he was spouting nonsense like "Military grade CPU" and such tripe, he was funny.  When he started ripping off users (see the Picasso II memory thread) and arrogantly taking a "so what!" attitude, he pretty much signed his own warrant.  

Furthermore, I say "liberal shmiberal".  It's your webpage, Wayne, nobody elses.  You have the final say on who posts and who doesn't, and I for one am glad you pulled the trigger on that jerk.  I'dve had the cops at his house after the whole "I'm going to bring down Amiga.org with DDOS attacks" nonsense from his first time around but I reckon you're a bit more patient and forgiving than I...

It is a shame those original DoomMaster threads are gone, as are the BoingBoss threads as you can't hold them up as an example of how NOT to behave here.  I think we've all had a smeg-up or two (to borrow from the Brits.) of one kind or another 'round these parts.  But I don't think any of us has ever flat out stated "I rip people off, so what." and "I'm gonna attack a.org if you don't do exactly what I want." even in jest.

If he comes back, Wayne, notify his ISP.  Surely he can't be that hard to track down via IP address - although anonymizers are out there...

Oh, I sincerely wish you had all those old threads.

Well, at any rate, good call and I'm glad he's gone.  I'd rather see every other thread on A.Org degenerate into a Pegasus-v-Aone flamewar than ever see a single (new) post by him again (almost).

Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 08:25:04 PM »
Amiga has software piracy? :-o

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 08:26:43 PM »