Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Someone spell it out for me, A1 questions  (Read 7341 times)

Description:

Offline Jupp3

• Show only replies by Jupp3
    • http://jupp3.amigafin.org
Re: Someone spell it out for me, A1 questions
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2004, 11:00:16 AM »
There's definitely no Flash player

There definitely IS Flash player.

BUT it sure can't play all the flash files out there (especially games)

But some flash files (Such as Happy Tree Friends) it can play, more or less...

Audio Evolution for OS4 (and ProStationAudio for MOS) are both "multichannel mixing programs". Of course such programs are VERY useful to any composer, but they won't replace a midi sequencer.

About old Amiga sequencers, Bars & Pipes is being developed for morphos, and I think that OctaMED soundstudio is also still under development (Well it isn't sequencer, but a VERY good tracker with midi support)

And of course, then there's also completely new ProTracker being worked on...

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2004, 11:36:08 AM »
Hi Acill,

Be sure to also check out the Pegasos II system. We are much more compatable and faster then the A1 is. The Pegasos DOES NOT run OS4 but it runs MorphOS.

>joke mode ON<

Acill . . . are you beginnng to speak like the Pope? (Plurale Maiestatis):-D

or WE stay for: the "Great Pegasos Family"?

>joke mode OFF<

sorry Acill . .  . i couldn't resist :-)

Ciao

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2004, 11:41:19 AM »
I'm mostly interested in the "NG" system that the largest community of classic Amiga users/developers are moving to.

I think most people will either stay with their classic amigas and/or will run winuae on a x86 box. The only way the A1 is related to classic amiga is the NAME.
If you dont care about the NAME, the best solution is to get yourself a fast x86 board (if you dont have one already) and run winuae. It is compatible with just about any piece of amiga software (not like Morphos/Os4)and its cheaper than any ppc board. Its sad but thats how it is nowadays.

Offline GojiraxTopic starter

• Show only replies by Gojirax
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2004, 04:42:53 PM »
I still have my copy of Octamed Sound Studio 1.1 and love it. It's a great tracker with all the MIDI support I need. (I suck at Midi, so I just use it to plug my keyboard into and input music that way.)

I checked out the Protracker II site and that looks like a really nice piece of work so far. I already have two fast PC's (To play Everquest you have to have top end MS-PC's) and I already get my modest fix of Diablo II and Warcraft III.)

The biggest bummer would be a lack of Java/Flash support.

I thought Opera was getting ported to almost every platform/CPU flavor? What happened to that?

What about Firefox?

Oh well, it doesn't matter that much heh, I'm mostly concerned about getting OFF the Microsoft platform before they introduce their subscription based Operating System on or around 2007 (Yeah, you won't own software anymore, you just lease it and download patches etc.) So there's plenty of time for someone to port the Web goodies heheh.

P.S.
@Ascii - I was an Amiga evangelist for years, so I can appreciate your passion for Pegasos.

I've learned as much from this thread as I have from the 5 or 6 hours I've spent scouring the web in search of answers.

Thanks a ton guys,
Jack

Offline Wibbly

• Show only replies by Wibbly
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2004, 04:59:02 PM »
Most modern computers require emulation in order to use programs made a long time ago (I need DosBox to play a couple of old MSDOS games on WinXP Pro for instance).

I think keeping your old Amiga, or using emulation is the best way to play the old games. The AmigaOne is so vastly overpriced it's just not funny, especially as the technology it boasts is so horribly outdated. AGP 2x? I've been using AGP 2x and faster boards for almost 6 years. Ati Radeon 7000 32Mb? Ancient technology compared to todays 9800, x800s and Geforce 5950s and 6800s. The price of the registered 512Mb memory (what is it PC133 I think? or is it PC2100, either way, OLD) is crazy, you can pick up PC3200 512Mb for less than a 3rd of what Eyetech are asking. Soundblaster 5.1 (sigh, where's the Audigy 2?) And then A PPC 800Mhz. Good grief. You can get a much more powerful G4 Laptop for half the price  of an AmigaOne.

I'd like a PCI card with the ECS and AGA chipset on it, and maybe a 68000 (for compatibility) and an 060 onboard. Throw in a PPC slot, so I can chuck in a G4. Then I could Dual Boot XP Pro and MorphOS or OS3.9
The PPC slot isn't a must have though, because I'd only have that to run any new Amiga games if they ever came out, and to be honest, they probably won't touch the sort of things I'm playing on my PC. WinUAE allows me to run a crazy fast 68040, that'll run almost any 680*0 game I throw at it.  (Quake, Genetic Species, AB3D2 etc. run WAY better on UAE than they do on my PPC A1200)

I'm certainly not paying for an AmigaOne, I've looked at Eyetechs specs, and what you get is ancient poop. Unless they release a realisticly priced motherboard for it (which based on the fact that half the components are like 6 year old technology, means I wouldn't pay any more than 25 quid)to which I could add my own components (if it HAD to be a radeon 7000, I'd get one off ebay for 10 quid), then my Amiga'ing is definitely going to be WinUAE based.

Finally a new Amiga. And once again, it's overpriced and outdated. When I bought my first Amiga, it seemed WAY more advanced then any other computer out there. And it wasn't unreasonably priced against the competition. Seems to me that Amiga Inc. and Eyetech are trying to follow every other company and kill Amiga off.
I'll stick to WinUAE and OS3.1 (I'm not paying stupid money for OS3.9. I bought enough Amigas and upgrades for them thanks. Dam OS should be free by this point) :pissed:

AmigaOne-XE 7451@800MHz G4 power system   1399.95..... LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Source=Arianet (prices inc. VAT)-

Arianet Cybercase black/sil 420W - £21.74
Gigabyte GA-K8NS (Nforce3 250) - £64.63
AMD Athlon64 3400 RETAIL - £199.69
Kingmax "Hardcore" 512Mb PC4000 DDR - £77.55
Kingmax "Hardcore" 512Mb PC4000 DDR - £77.55
(that's 1Gb Total)
MSI GeForce 6800GT 256MB DDR3 - £316.08
(A brand new Radeon 7000 with 64Mb on this site btw costs £24.68 inclusive)
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS - £85.78
160G Maxtor DMax+9 SATA150/7200 8MB - £62.86
160G Maxtor DMax+9 SATA150/7200 8MB - £62.86
(that's 320Gb Total)
Sony DWU-18A DVDRW± OEM Silver - £45.83
Samsung 52x52x32 CDRW - £18.21
3½" Floppy Drive - £5.86
Generic Multimedia Keyboard SIlver - £4.70
A4Tech Infra-Red Wireless Mouse - £8.23
Microsoft Windows XP Pro OEM - £99.88

That's £1151.45. That leaves me enough change for a 19" monitor and some kick ass speakers

19" Arianet Digital Monitor - £116.33
Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speakers - £93.99

That leaves me with 38.18. A hearty lunch, or a copy of Doom 3 to show off my kickass system. Though I already have a 19" and a 21" monitor, plus 7.1 speakers, I have most of the above listed components. All I need is a new mobo and CPU plus the GFX card. With the money I could spend on an AmigaOne, I could go AMD Athlon64 Fx53, and Geforce 6800 Ultra, and still have change for another PPC A1200.

I expect I'll get flamed for this, but my point is that Amiga is NOT going to live on through the AmigaOne. Not at this price anyway.

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2004, 06:19:32 PM »
Meh, as many have stated, using a 600MHz Pegasos is more resposive than a 3GHz PC, and with the A1 and Peg being broadly comparable the speed of the CPU isn't really an issue.

Personally I'm fed up with oversize programs that the PC and Mac is plagued by (waiting 30 seconds for Word 2003 to load for instance), and through the roof computer specs for no reason other than bragging, and am looking for something efficient to do work on.

As for games, I havn't seen one that was more fun to play (rather than just being more flashy) since Halo on the XBox, and that works nicely on slower hardware than an A1 ;-)
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline Wibbly

• Show only replies by Wibbly
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2004, 08:24:45 PM »
I'm sure your 600Mhz Peg is perfect. As for Word 2003 taking 30 seconds to load, I'm sure that's a problem with whatever PC  you were using, as it takes less than 2 on mine. I'm happy with the response of OS3.1 on WinUAE. I bought my original Amigas though, primarily to play games.

My point is AmigaOne is WAY overpriced, and already outdated, no matter how you look at it. Playing Unreal 3 it won't be.

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2004, 08:40:13 PM »
The only way the A1 is related to classic amiga is the NAME.

:-o I guess it being based on AmigaOS sources mean nothing to you! :-o

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline Acill

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2004, 08:57:28 PM »

pixie wrote:

:-o I guess it being based on AmigaOS sources mean nothing to you! :-o

Okay ans AROS, MorphOS and other clones are "based" on it as well. Whats the point?

@Framiga: How did i know you would have to jump in. I meant "WE" as in "Pegasos Users" I wanted to make sure he knew of it and that the A1 isnt the only choice.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline pixie

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2004, 09:35:31 PM »

AROS, MorphOS and other clones are "based" on it as well.

:-o They are are based on pure AmigaOS sources as well!? :-o
Whats the point?

None at all, you had made the point clear, A1 don't share nothing with the Amiga, only the name ;-)

Offline rayt

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2004, 12:44:22 AM »
I guess it being based on AmigaOS sources mean nothing to you!

I was just talking about the A1 board, not about os4.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2004, 04:03:29 AM »
Okay, This topic has wandered off topic. The guy asked about the AmigaOne and didn't ask for a Red vs Blue debate. His question seems to have been answered. Please feel free to open another topic.

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2004, 04:06:45 AM »
As this thread illustrates, one of the most tangible benefits of buying into the post-classic Amiga market (either an AmigaOne or a Pegasos) is to be able to argue nonstop about your choice from an owner's standpoint. ;-)

I think one of main appeals, really, is to be part of something new, which can be a lot of fun. The fact that there *aren't* already dozens of applications for every task is part of the twisted pleasure. :-) It's like living in a house that's still under construction; you may not have running water upstairs or anything covering the interior walls yet, but you can help decide where to install the windows and how to lay out the back yard. If you want to be part of a new platform trying to get off the ground -- and don't mind the negatives, like pricey low-volume hardware, missing applications, and an uncertain future  -- then this is a good place to be.

-- gary_c (Pegasos owner)

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2004, 09:17:09 AM »
Diablo II and Warcraft III?????? These are recentish PC games right? So its unlikely there'll be a port unless they are released as open source.

Can't speak for WarCraft III, but Diablo II ran just fine on my Pegasos under MacOnLinux.

Offline pixie

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2004, 12:03:58 PM »
@rayt:

I was just talking about the A1 board, not about os4.

May I care to desagree, at least with what you've written, if that wasn't what you intended it's because you expressed yourself wrong.

One of the special aspects in Amiga (at least) was its Hardware+OS integration, and even if only by this reason alone, and since there's an AmigaOS integration with A1 based on AmigaOS sources one have to say that at least on this they are related, so you can't just say 'The only way the A1 is related to classic amiga is the NAME', because at least it has *something* more related to it more then the *NAME*.

Saying:
a) The only way A1 is related to Amiga is the *NAME*, and as such
b) the best way to go is WinUAE.
you're not giving decent information about the subject as there's more to A1 then *NAME*.

I don't want to get further into what Amiga is or isn't, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion about it, but get things straight when vocalizing that the only thing they share in common is the *NAME*.

Capisce!? ;-)

Offline rayt

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 16, 2004, 01:28:52 PM »
[/quote]Can't speak for WarCraft III, but Diablo II ran just fine on my Pegasos under MacOnLinux.

Warcraft III won't work under MOL as it uses hardware 3D acceleration which is not supported by MOL.