Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Proposing an Amiga South-East event  (Read 8012 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWBTopic starter

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Proposing an Amiga South-East event
« on: November 23, 2018, 04:58:05 AM »
Every year around the end of April, the Vintage Computer Federation http://vcfed.org holds VCF-SE in Roswell, GA (just north of Atlanta.)  I have attended the past two years supporting a Texas Instruments table, thrilled to see a good Amiga presence at VCF-SE 5.0, but nobody at VCF-SE 6.0 last year.

Earl Baugh, VCF-SE organizer, has expressed he will happily co-lo an Amiga gathering at VCF-SE.

The past two years for me have been amazing. The event is very active and wide-ranging from young kids to college freshman to those in industry, they are all enthusiastic and interested.  I had some great chats with kids in the eight year-old to teen range who are interested in learning to program these our old machines and even have an interest in the history of what they use today.  Same with new college students, even one who wanted to do a special project for one of his classes.  Last year I had an interesting talk with a couple of guys who work in embedded systems and they noted the similarities of embedded and classic system programming.  And, of course, everyone loves the games, sights, and sounds.  I even sold my CoCo to an old Radio Shack store manager looking to boost his collection.

I propose a grand Amiga gathering for 2019's VCF-SE.  Putting our beloved Amigas in front of this kind of crowd cannot be anything but good.  I am hoping for everything we can throw out there: classic 68k and PPC, stock or upgraded, MorphOS, OS4, emulation, the works. We need next-gen and old-gen in force, to show the spirit lives on.

And that is just the basic table-showing. We would really benefit from more speakers, designers, developers, our heroes there in the first days all the way to our heroes who are still developing new software and hardware.

Please comment in this thread on your thoughts and ideas, and contact me if you can contribute as an exhibitor or guest speaker.  I am happy to take on the coordination of those who wish to participate.

Offline LoveThatAmigaC64NESAtari

• Show only replies by LoveThatAmigaC64NESAtari
Re: Proposing an Amiga South-East event
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 02:10:32 AM »
Well, I may be able to pick up someone along the route. I can stop at Cocoa Beach, Orlando, Ocala, Gainesville, Lake City and Valdosta on my way up. May be able to bring a few SGI machines.

guest11314

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »
I'd definitely be interested, and could show an A1200/1084S setup if needed.

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 02:27:13 PM »
So, not in Kent then?

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 09:14:40 PM »
Americans thinking the good ol' US of A is the centre of the (Amiga) world again  ;)
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »
To be fair I did note locations in my OP.  Unless there is an Atlanta, GA, somewhere else of which I am unaware :P

Thanks for the replies so far.  Over the next week or so I will be working on making outside contacts and seeing who I can reel in.

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 06:25:05 PM »
I'm all in, being half of the Guru Mediation and having just moved down to Florida, I am in a not too uncomfortable driving distance from HotLanta and do fully intend to attend. Am certainly willing to bring up some goodies for a showing at the show. I even already met another Amiga person down here near where I'm living So lets discuss getting something going!

Guru Anthony

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 04:27:58 PM »
Okay, I've been a bit awol for a month or few.  I was hoping to get more response in this thread but never received any notifications during my "busy period." Whatever that means, right?

Anyway, I have sent out invitations to a number of Amiga people I know of.  The only response was from Jens who used his kids as a lame excuse (just kidding, I fully understand :P)

My concern is how late the date was announced and the closeness of April 27th, it might not be realistic for this year.  Next year, perhaps, but I will need to make more direct contact than just in the forums, here.

I will have my TI tables again this year and a couple of Commodore and Amiga items there, for sure.

Offline RetroPassion

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 12:26:19 PM »
Count me in supporting it :-)

Steve - AKA AmigaPassion
Offering complete Amiga recapping  services including add-ons, mods. We also cater for other makes and models of consoles and computers.