Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A word about the content here at Amiga.org  (Read 138065 times)

Description:

Offline JetRacer

• Show only replies by JetRacer
Re: A word about the content here at Amiga.org
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2002, 11:00:08 AM »
Oh, I forgot...

Who slammed AO?!

Give us NAMES, give us NAMES!!!

_Me standing in a red/white checkered sheet holding a torch_

Just kidding. But sometimes you overreact Wayne. Some time ago I saw you threaten to quit over a guy who registered just to post a four sentence ignorant rambling and in it was the word webmaster. Grab a valium dude.

If people don't post news here, don't go and get all the news by yourself. Nobody demands that. And nobody demands 0 dayz news either. Pick a day, any day, and only go out and get news then. It won't be a complete cut-off, and people will start missing news in between. The "what if's" will sneak up on them and they go looking for the first "Amiga One Released" to appear and perhaps they will find some newsworthy stuff to post on AO in the process.

If you don't have the time, then step down a bit. Check the site every other day instead. Or even once a week. You got staff, right? Start trusting them to run stuff from time to time. Once you even went for a holiday. And the site was up the whole time, yes?

Personally I think it's a god damn shame that you can't get paid full time for running this site. But stuff like that has been the faith of Amigans in general I guess. Hopefully it will be possible to actually earn a faint reflection of some real money on the A1. But then, maybe not.
*Zap! Zap!* Ha! Take that! *Kabooom!* Hey, that\'s not fair!

Offline JetRacer

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2002, 11:14:43 AM »
...also, (am I getting boring yet?)

ANYONE WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT LACK OF NEWS HERE DESERVE TO BE *censor*!!!

And I stand for that no matter who it originated from! There is no excuse for a site-hog to complain about the lack of news if he doesn't post any himself!

Said the guy who only posted news once in a lifetime...

[ Edited by JetRacer on 2002/6/30 10:21:08 ]

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2002, 09:49:11 PM »
@Jetracer

I don't know you, per se, so I'll resist getting too deep here, except to say that there are a lot of things you don't really understand, yet are more than willing to speak about in an authoritative fashion.

Please understand that the following is *not* posted as a slam, I'm just very tired after a very long trip yesterday.  I just don't want to leave this hanging and forget about it...

Just kidding. But sometimes you overreact Wayne. Some time ago I saw you threaten to quit over a guy who registered just to post a four sentence ignorant rambling and in it was the word webmaster. Grab a valium dude.
I don't recall the situation you are speaking of, so I can't say whether it did, or did not happen specifically.

Considering the amount of effort which goes into this site, and the fact that it regularly threatens the rest of my life, I reserve the right to overreact.  As do we all.

As far as me being too sensitive, people can think any thing they want about me, and for the most part, I don't care.  What I do care about and will address where I see it, is people either being completely wrong (and authoritative about it) or making #### up about me just to make themselves feel better.  For the most part, outside of the basic human need for acceptance, people's opinions of me are irrelevant.  I reserve the right to defend myself when people start making #### up, as would you, if I started making wild claims about you.

For example, the idea that I censor things at Amiga.org.  Where I don't absolutely have to for reasons of continuity (or cleaning up profanity), I don't care what is said on this site.  Want to trash AI?  Go ahead.  Want to trash MOS?  Go ahead.  

Free speech is welcomed here.  Responsibility is required however.  If you feel strongly enough to say something, be "man enough" to stand up and take responsibility for saying it.  Also be adult enough in what you say to keep from intentionally insulting others.  Everyone has an opinion and they are all welcomed here.  The other people here make up their own minds as to the level of your stupidity in a post.

Some people say that I censor news posted here, and for the most part, that's simply rediculous.  I have stated on about a thousand threads (this one included) that I don't have time to scavenge news any more, so I'm not the one posting any of it.  In the past few weeks, Skippy has been posting more news than anyone, including our staff.

The exception to the rule of censoring news being that we do not post news items whose only intention is to elicit flames, to upset people, and to splinter the already suffering community even more.  I could not care less what the subject is, ranging from MOS to AOS, to DE, to Shawn.  Some things are news, some things simply are not.  I will not allow this site to degenerate to the level of other sites.

As I said, if you have news, post it.  If you don't, don't bitch and whine about it not being posted.  "pitch in, or piss off".  ;-)

If you don't have the time, then step down a bit.
I do, out of necessity.  When I do, the site almost becomes stagnant.  For some reason, people like knowing I'm around.

Check the site every other day instead.
You truly have no idea how much work goes into this do you...?

You got staff, right? Start trusting them to run stuff from time to time. Once you even went for a holiday. And the site was up the whole time, yes?
Thanks very much solely to them volunteering, Amiga.org does have a staff, and I trust them to do whatever's necessary to keep the integrity of the site.  They have all the access they need to squash fights, brawls, and anything else.

I've never gone on "holiday" as you put it.  As the staff knows, I had family issues that I had to deal with.  I still do, but in the mean time, life goes on.

[ Edited by Wayne on 2002/6/30 14:02:05 ]

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2002, 02:24:24 AM »
Here, here Wayne :-)

By the Way - is Shawn the most well known person OUTSIDE of the community..... :-P

(Maybe I shouldnt have posted that here....... but I can take it)
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

Offline JetRacer

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2002, 10:16:58 AM »
No slam taken. It was just that I thougt the post was just as worthy of your attention as stuff written in a public toilet.

Heck, I don't mind a little steam from you every now and then. Anything that keeps AO going...

I'm sorry if I offended you with my ignorance Wayne. And I completely agree with the rest of the stuff you wrote.

Offline JetRacer

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2002, 10:32:26 AM »
That avatar looks like a psycologist. And I hate shrinks. Nothing personal Rob. Forget I even posted this...

Ok, it really gets on my nerves. Everytime.

Now, I know. Put sunglasses on him. And a gold chain around his neck. And a ring in his ear. Hehehe, ..hmrph-he.. hihi!

:-D

Suddenly it's not that irritating anymore.

Off-topic? Never heard of it.

Offline arcticandyb

• Show only replies by arcticandyb
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2002, 03:46:12 AM »
Tivo seems pretty cool. I'm hoping the Radeon All-In-Wonder for the amiga has the same support the PC version does. The PC version has software for alot of the same features as Tivo.

Yep, and a $40 ATI TV Wonder VE does the same stuff as Tivo, with the added feature of the saved data being accessible by video editing/animation software.
GPF (the famous Blue Screen of Death) honest version :-

The system has become busy or unstable.
Actually, we say \\"system\\" but what we really mean is \\"Windows\\".
If you like, you can wait and see if the \\"system\\" recovers.
It won\\\'t, but it will give yo

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2002, 05:22:10 AM »
Dude - My character is based on Bob Godfrey one of my all time fav animators.

Maybe my character isnt that good. if you met bob in real lfe you could tell from his personality that he is anything but a psycologist :-)

When I get the time I'll do myself and stick that up :-)
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2002, 07:14:56 AM »
Wayne

I like it!  "Pitch in or Piss off" would also apply to the purchase of the $50 coupons for AmigaOne/OS4. Seems to me that a lot of the postings in the forum are from people who only want to support the Amiga if it suits their personal vision, and they are the same types that take a "Wait and See" attitude with regard to contributing to your web site.  

If Wayne does not get support, Amiga.org will die.

If Amiga Inc. does not get support, Amiga will die.

We, the "community" can save both, or let them both wither away. It's up to you, and now is NOT the time for lame excuses.

Dave MacDonald

Offline arcticandyb

• Show only replies by arcticandyb
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2002, 04:38:59 AM »
Someone please start a new appropriate topic to continue this conversation?

Okay.. why is this always at the top of the list.. because until I made this post, nothing had been posted here for six days..

Let me guess.. cos you posted it, it goes to the top of the list..

BTW can I post the fact I got my "greencard" in the mail yesterday as news..  ;-)

- The conditional bits of my residency have been removed, and I can now stay here as long as I want..  :-) -
GPF (the famous Blue Screen of Death) honest version :-

The system has become busy or unstable.
Actually, we say \\"system\\" but what we really mean is \\"Windows\\".
If you like, you can wait and see if the \\"system\\" recovers.
It won\\\'t, but it will give yo

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2002, 06:26:40 AM »
Note the different icon, denoting a "sticky" topic. I got tired of repeating myself, then losing track of the thread later when someone else asked.  Sticky threads stay on top and will be used for announcements like this, or forum rules, etc.

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2002, 01:22:39 AM »
Hee Wayne,

Just wondering, how it is these days.. You seem more optimistic lately, and more "online" then say a month or 3 ago.. Everything going up in your private life ? (No, not asking if you want to tell about your life, just asking)
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2002, 01:57:48 AM »
I think sedate would be a much better word than optimistic.  I've had a couple of people give me what I consider to be honest answers about the Amiga and it's current status, so I'm far more positive on the subject than I was say about three weeks ago.

In regards to my private life, no real, available comment... Sorry.

Offline Wilse

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2002, 11:08:36 PM »
Hi Wayne,

> I've had a couple of people give me what I consider
> to be honest answers about the Amiga and it's
> current status, so I'm far more positive on the
> subject than I was say about three weeks ago.

Well that certainly sounds like good news. Can you elaborate (even a little) ?

[ Edited by Wilse on 2002/7/15 21:09:09 ]

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2002, 07:29:04 AM »
Wasn't me sir.

Offline artman

• Show only replies by artman
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 18, 2002, 08:08:11 AM »
My kinda person!  Being not so subtle is a virtue more people should have.  At least you know where that person's coming from.  More of us need to experience what we need to hear, not what we want to hear.   Way to go Wayne.