Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Computer illiteracy.  (Read 4251 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: Computer illiteracy.
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:35:49 PM »
The answer is quite simple, folk in general these days are just lazy and do not see a need to learn about a computer that someone else will fix for them when they can't work it or something goes wrong... :(

What's to blame for this, simple answer... Computers... :)

Why, well as each new generation comes along unfortunately they take it for granted that computers are just a part of everyday life and have always been there. They don't see the need especially at work and even at home for them to understand how the thing works or even the basic fundamentals of what lies under the hood... :(

Most folk using a computer at home or work are not the types you'd find chatting here on these forums, they just see it as a tool used to do something that only requires them to be able to type a wee bit, move a pointer and click a mouse... :(

It always makes me sound ancient but back in the 70s when I was at school there were no such things as computers in the classroom at home or even anywhere in the school. Then along came the 80's and all of a sudden home computers began to appear and those of us who found them interesting really had no option but to learn about them all by ourselves... :)

Skip forward to today and as I say most of the younger generation have grown up in the belief that computers have always been there and are part of everyday life, most are ignorant of the fact that only 30 years ago this was not the case. Thing is most see them in the way I've explained and as long as they work they don't see the need to understand how they work as they can either be replaced cheaply or they pay someone else to fix or solve the problem for them... :(

As time goes by this only becomes more and more true, as much as I love computers they have done some incredible damage to the way a lot of people think and to how well educated they are, which is ironic when you consider how powerful an education tool a computer can be when used to it's full potential, not to mention the effect they've had on actual human social interaction... :(

Which again is totally ironic as I sit here typing this reply on the very thing that has so drastically changed our society and not always for the better. I'd honestly hate to be around in about 100 years from now to see just how insular and cut off from the real world folks will be as the only forms of communication done by most on the planet will be made by the internet, computing and mobile devices and social activities and interacting in the real world will only be done by the minority who choose to rebel against it... :(

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 07:32:18 PM »
Quote from: whabang;622542
So I take it you're one of those old stooges who brag about programming mainframes with punchcards back in the 60's, but who still can't figure out how to update his Java VM, and keeps yelling that I need to talk slower? ;)

They were still doing things that way when I worked for Farranti at the start of the 80s and these were mainframes being sold to the British Ministry Of Defence... :eek:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 07:39:15 PM »
Quote from: persia;622558
Those terms are so last decade, you should say swipe, pinch and unpinch....

Those are the same terms folks used on that adult chat site I used to visit... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »
Quote from: whabang;622769
Yelling and telling people to talk slower?

Pardon... slow down a bit and speak up laddie, can't understand a ruddy word your saying here... (one day I'll buy a new battery for this ruddy hearing aid)... pardon... quarter past two... :D