Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Install 3.2 on A3000 crashes  (Read 1170 times)

Description:

Offline Boing-ball

Re: Install 3.2 on A3000 crashes
« on: February 12, 2024, 02:36:53 PM »
What does "8 or 12" mean? How do you switch?

Which CPU does the machine have?

What error does the Guru show? The 8-digit code before the dot indicates the reason.

How did you create the SuperKickstart disk for 47.111?

Does it work differently if you load Kickstart 3.1 and then boot from the Modules disk? Or from the Install disk?

How is your harddrive partitioned (harddrive size, partition sizes)? Which file system (Version and flavour)?

As Thomas has asked + Which Kickstart ROM version are physically installed?

Yes you have come to the right place 👍🏻

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 03:27:01 PM »
I am not able to boot with SuperKick 3.2 unless I disable the AROS partition, and then you would get no information about it. I can make such hddreport too.

Your suspicion sounds reasonable. It does blink the HD light during floppy load a little bit more than I would expect.
Did workbench.library use to be in the kickstart or has the way it searches for it changed?

Anyway, I will do as suggested, disable the AROS partition for now and wipe it at some future point.

Thank you for the help!

It all Changed when Hyperion released AmigaOS 3.1.4. No room on the basic 512K ROMs to fit Workbench.library and Icon.Library. Instead they have to be the LIBS: folder. Unless you make a Custom 1MB ROM set that can house both the Libraries. If you have 3.0 or 3.1 then these were found in the ROMs. OS3.9 had similar feature, but the ROM was changed during bootup when booting from 3.1 physical ROMs or higher…

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 01:18:07 AM »
Good to know 👍🏻 But OP has a A3000 and using 3.2 😉

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 10:56:52 PM »
I installed 3.2 but 47.111 kickstart sees all my HD partition as not bootable.
If I boot from the Install floppy, start HDToolBox the partition is marked as bootable. Is this related to that I have a FFS installed on the HD and it is too old, or something else?

Version 3.2 and above still uses FastFilesystem but at a higher version with a lot of fixes. You may find that you will need to use HDToolBox to update the version of FFS to the 3.2 version. I would be cautious that you have a backup first before playing just in-case. But updating shouldn’t cause fault, unless you have some weird boot code or something…

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 01:56:16 AM »
Seems to work now. I updated FFS, but it did not seem to do it. Then cold boot resulted in errors. Apparently it did not install the new Kickstart in devs: so I did that manually. Reboot and install MMU support for the machine, cold boot and finally it boots nicely!

Great stuff 👍🏻