Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Disk-space and Bandwidth Issues to be resolved soon  (Read 10667 times)

Description:

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
Re: Amiga.org Disk-space and Bandwidth Issues to be resolved soon
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 12:49:08 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;612059
100 Gigabytes? That was pretty low. How long would youtube last with 100GB?
100gb may seem low for a user, but for a Web site, it's fairly huge (at least considering that AO doesn't stream videos or do software downloads).  There are, at any given 5 minute period, a minimum of 20 registered users and 100 or so guests devouring data and loading pages.  

One of the problems however seems to be that Amiga.org is dynamic in growth, meaning the bigger slice of my reseller account I'd give it, the more it would eat.  

At the beginning of 2010, AO was using 80gb per month in bandwidth.  By Jan 2011, that usage came within 200 megabytes of tapping out 100gb of bandwidth, and that's AFTER making changes to reduce the bandwidth used by bots and images (moving to vBulletin reduced the graphic load by about 25 gb per month on it's own)

The reseller account for which I pay $50/month comes with 1000 gb of data and 120 gb of storage (Hostgator).  I also currently host 3 other large Web sites, have 5 or 6 more in development, and about a dozen or so smaller web sites (like amigawiki), none of which are currently pitching in to pay for the hosting plan.

I also face current factors in my own personal life (continued unemployment) which may accidentally cause all of my sites to disappear without warning here shortly, and after a long discussion with the new owners, we all agree that Amiga.org getting it's own hosting plan is the safest thought for the site at this time.

I need to reduce my own overhead by swapping to a lower tier reseller account, and frankly there simply isn't any way to balance that need with providing Amiga.org the resources it needs.

I'm glad to see this message here on the site, letting you all know to expect a little disruption while the DNS propagates, because it's extraordinarily thoughtful (for an Amiga site) of them to give everyone advanced warning of what's to come.

Cut Transition some slack.  He's doing the right thing here, and unlike some sites (and former AO webmasters) he's trying to make sure everyone is aware of what's going on, just in case there's any sort of hiccup.  

Wouldn't want you to run off to Moobunny or AW screaming "the sky is falling" now would we?   :)

:drink:

Wayne
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:51:47 PM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;612105
and frankly there simply isn't

Hahaha.. I almost said "frankoly", but that would have had a WHOLE new meaning.

:drink:
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 12:56:38 PM »
Oh yeah right! If every A.org user went to AW their server would overload with all the attention...  ;)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 04:58:08 PM »
Donation made!

FCUG celebrating 30 years,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 05:35:18 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;612105
The reseller account for which I pay $50/month comes with 1000 gb of data and 120 gb of storage (Hostgator).
Huh, that's damned expensive. You can get a dedicated server with 2TB traffic (100mbit network) and 160 RAID-1 HDD for $40/month.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:42:39 PM by Piru »

Offline pampers

• Show only replies by pampers
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 09:07:04 PM »
Come one guz, what is 100GB transfer p/m these days? Wanna free hosting? Fell free to PM me ;)

Other than that I can recommend: http://www.hetzner.de/hosting/produkte_rootserver/x3

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »
Quote from: pampers;612213
Come one guz, what is 100GB transfer p/m these days? Wanna free hosting? Fell free to PM me ;)

amiga.org don't want free hosting, nor advice on hosting I guess, which was made clear to me from previous discussions. 100GB isn't much though I would agree (in terms of bandwidth, its certainly a fair amount of forum traffic). ExoticA server for example did 2.3TB last month (although it was a heavy month).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:16:25 AM by buzz »

Offline Gazbonk

• Show only replies by Gazbonk
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/cme4dosh/videos?view=0
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 11:53:30 PM »
Just like to say thank you for a brilliant site.

01 Is it possible to run Amiga.org from home with a higher bandwidth ?

02  Most modern PC's (excuse the swearing) are Quad core processors & have Sata Raid drives that you can stripe to any size.

03 My server at home is a Asus P5NT Deluxe motherboard, Intel 775 Quad Core 3.1Ghz processor with 4 Gb of DDR2 800mhz memory, 4.3TB Sata Raid harddrives.

04 I am running a website with 36gb of download files on it for EA Battlefield 1942, 2 & 2142 and was running at the same time Battlefield 2 & Battlefield 2142 game servers, with storage facilities for all my music, pictures, video and documents, plus it is also a backup server taking snapshots of the current users operating systems as backups on my internal LAN network.

If you live in the UK you could host the site from home with Virgin, as they have a 50Mb bandwidth unrestricted, they are in process of releasing 100mb.

Just an idea to think about.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:58:08 PM by Gazbonk »

Offline Gazbonk

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 11:59:24 PM »
Just like to say thank you for a brilliant site.

01 Is it possible to run AAmiga.org from home with a higher bandwidth ?

02  Most modern PC's (excuse the swearing) are Quad core processors & have Sata Raid drives that you can stripe to any size.

03 My server at home is a Asus P5NT Deluxe motherboard, Intel 775 Quad Core 3.1Ghz processor with 4 Gb of DDR2 800mhz memory, 4.3TB Sata Raid harddrives.

04 I am running a website with 36gb of download files on it for EA Battlefield 1942, 2 & 2142 and was running at the same time Battlefield 2 & Battlefield 2142, with storage facilities for all my music, pictures, video and documents, plus it is also a backup server taking snapshots of the current sytems on the internal LAN network.

If you live in the UK you could host it from home with Virgin, as they have a 50Mb bandwidth unrestricted, they are in process of releasing 100mb.

Just an idea to think about.

Offline buzz

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 01:01:41 AM »
Quote from: Gazbonk;612280
If you live in the UK you could host it from home with Virgin, as they have a 50Mb bandwidth unrestricted, they are in process of releasing 100mb.

01. The main post is already about them upgrading.

02. makes no sense at all in relevance to amiga.org hosting.

03. Hosting a server at home on a cable connection is hardly the same. I'm happy you are pleased with your server specs.

as for the comment on hosting at home on virgin.. - you are confused about downstream/upstream speeds - not saying you cant but you probably wouldnt want to host something like this at home. and amiga.org isnt even in the uk so it's a little irrelevant :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:12:14 AM by buzz »

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 01:23:15 AM »
Quote from: Gazbonk;612276
If you live in the UK you could host the site from home with Virgin, as they have a 50Mb bandwidth unrestricted, they are in process of releasing 100mb.
Acceptable use policy: Acceptable use policy applies. Traffic Management operates from 4pm to 9pm and 10am to 3pm to ensure a consistent user experience.

"Our Traffic Management Policy is used every day to make sure our service is fair for everybody. We sometimes moderate the speeds for the top 5% of customers who are downloading and/or uploading an unusually large amount. We do this to try to make sure that the service doesn't get blocked up with people using more than their fair share - which means a lot fewer traffic jams."

"Customers with Broadband size: XXL (50Mb) – your downstream usage excluding file sharing traffic  (see below) remains unaffected and we'll soon be increasing your upload speeds from 1.5Mb to 5Mb. However during peak times we'll need to slow you back to 1.75Mb if your upload usage is particularly high."

"7.3. In addition to the above, Users' provision of IPS may not adversely affect any other users of our network (including telephony and internet services). ... We reserve the right to monitor network traffic and to take appropriate action as required, including the right to restrict any IPS. An example of such adverse usage could be the consumption of a high proportion of the available upload bandwidth over a significant period of time. We will not offer any technical support for the provision of IPS."

No, home DSL really won't work for serious hosting.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:26:56 AM by Piru »

Offline Gazbonk

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 02:17:53 AM »
Thank you for your quick responses & explanations.

I now understand that this was not a viable action to go forward with, it was only an idea & I'm sorry if I insulted your intelligence.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 02:35:10 AM »
Quote from: Gazbonk;612323

I'm sorry if I insulted your intelligence.

Don't apologise. We agree with you completely! He's (Piru) too smart for his own good  ;)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline johnklos

• Show only replies by johnklos
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 06:43:21 AM »
100 gigabytes isn't much. I go through that in about three hours.

Anyone who'd suggest hosting for "free" or on a cheap service has no idea why people pay more. How would you like it if the site was inaccessible once or twice a day, a fraction of the speed, or had hosting service added Javascript which occasionally downloaded malware to your Windows machine?

Think about the difference between a Hyundai and a Jaguar the next time you think free hosting or $40 a month hosting is ideal for a site like this.

Offline buzz

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 06:46:28 AM »
Quote from: johnklos;612346
Anyone who'd suggest hosting for "free" or on a cheap service has no idea why people pay more. How would you like it if the site was inaccessible once or twice a day, a fraction of the speed, or had hosting service added Javascript which occasionally downloaded malware to your Windows machine?

I think when the word free was mentioned it was more referring to kind people offering to host it rather than a free web host. $40 a month hosting would be fine for this site though, as it has been on that sort of hsot for ages with no problems right? :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:50:33 AM by buzz »

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 04, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
Me thinks our little foray into Web 2.0 might have something to do with the bandwidth usage increase as well...  Having said that it had to be done.  An having said that it can't hurt to say I'm also a subscriber, and it didn't hurt too much to do that....   (o: