Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?  (Read 7401 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaBruno

Re: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?
« on: January 24, 2013, 06:07:45 PM »
I think this is a pretty stupid topic to post on an Amiga forum!

To sum up, I use Linux OS most of the time. I first used it in 1999, when I was pressured into getting a PC because I couldn't afford all the Amiga upgrades I'd need to get onto the Internet. Back in 1999, I tried a few different Linux distros, but I couldn't connect to the Internet with them, because I had a modem which had something missing which a Windows driver made up for. This is called a "Winmodem". Later on, I got an external modem and was able to get online using Linux. Later still, I got a new laptop with Windows XP Media Center Edition, which encouraged me to fill up the hard drive with various stuff, then I soon realised I didn't have enough space to install Linux, so I forgot about it. Later still, I was living in temporary accommodation and watching a DVD on that laptop which I'd recorded off air in as low quality as possible to fit 6 hours onto the DVD. While in the middle of viewing it, Windows XP Media Center Edition decided it didn't like it, then crashed. It failed to reboot, because a very important file called something like System32.dll was missing or corrupted! I then faced a choice of using the manufacturer's System Restore DVD, which I soon realised would wiped out various data which I hadn't got round to backing up. The solution was to use a CD or DVD with a live version of Puppy Linux, because it's a small distro which loads into RAM, leaving the DVD-R/W drive free to copy my data onto. At that time, I needed to get online using a 3G dongle, so I eventually found I was able to do this using Ubuntu Linux, but not PC Linux OS. This is why I use Ubuntu Linux. Of course, Ubuntu Linux now seems to be dominating the World of Linux and could even wipe out all other Linux distros, so that may be a good reason not to use it any more. I think that Aeros OS, combining Aros OS with Linux sounds interesting http://www.aeros-os.org/ .

As for Windows XP, there are various interesting games such as The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims 3, which can only be run under Windows, so this is the only good reason to use Windows at all. Check the system requirements to see if they require a Windows Version later than XP. I think that anything else can be done either on Aeros OS, or Linux. Someone is trying to develop an open source alternative to MS Windows, which they call ReactOS http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html .