Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS 3.1 applications under OS 4.1  (Read 8407 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: OS 3.1 applications under OS 4.1
« on: January 27, 2014, 03:03:10 AM »
@ Iggy

I'm guessing the issue has something to do with the particular way they re-implemented and expanded the APIs on the OS4-native versions of the libraries (dos.library springs to mind as being particularly full of changes). They also had to convert a lot of code from assembler (and possibly some BCPL) to C, so there could be some margin for error there. Another possible factor is that the Petunia 68K JIT isn't perfect. There is the Compatibility prefs editor to help with older software, but it's almost impossible to use - I had to do all my edits in a text editor instead (and then I'm not sure it actually made a difference).

The unspoken question here is why 68K compatibility is better under MorphOS. A few factors that could be involved there are: the project got started much earlier than OS4, so more time to work out bugs; more consistent project management and project team, so fewer loose ends of components left hanging; and more experienced developers - Ralph Schmidt, the CGX guys, and many others had years of deep hardware/software knowledge of the Amiga before getting into MorphOS. I think fewer of the OS4 devs have that level of experience.

@ all

That being said, let's not have this devolve into another OS4/MOS flamefest, okay? I think we can have a nice, adult conversation about software compatibility...