Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No more Emulator for me - Want an Amiga  (Read 9275 times)

Description:

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
Re: No more Emulator for me - Want an Amiga
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »
Quote from: TheMud;631122
I had both back in the days, and I liked the design og the A600 best... Is it difficult to put in a larger harddrive ? .. Mine back then was only 40 mb :-)

The A1200 won't cost much more than the A600 second hand (well, in the UK/Europe). And you get twice the ram, twice the speed (and it doubles again as soon as you add fast ram), and more colours/resolution choices, plus it will run most of your old OCS/ECS stuff (especially with WHDload). It's a no brainer really, unless you only want to program OCS/ECS.

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:35:06 AM »
I guess if you want to pay 3x the price for an ECS machine, with no case or keyboard as standard, then  minimig is the way to go ;)

Seriously though, minimig is meant to be upgradable in the future isn't it? AGA etc. How far have they got with that?

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 12:28:21 PM »
Quote from: hooligan;631151
If you're interested MAINLY in OCS/ECS games I'd recommend to forget A600 and all the shit that comes with it. If I were you I'd buy PS3 and run Amiga emulation on it..
If you're interested in AMOS-programming then this won't be an option as I think keyboard and mouse aren't supported by PS3 EUAE (yet!).

The OP wants to program, and he does not want to use an emu. He says so in the first post.

@Bloodline

The Amiga is very PAL/NTSC compatible, why won't it interface with a modern PAL/NTSC tv? Iv'e had no probs so far. I recomended an A1200, but my point holds true- far cheaper. Both the A600 and A1200 feature IDE ports.

He may not need AGA, but he may wish to use it in the future. Certainly more RAM will help with WHDload. And the speed will help with compile times.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:36:26 PM by Khephren »

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 12:44:04 PM »
Quote from: hooligan;631156
It's not pointless. The best and easiest way to have an Amiga plugged into your bigscreen-telly is the way I told. Plus who would want an ugly Amiga in his livingroom anyway, can't imagine many livingrooms the creamy lightbrown color fits. Current EUAE is pretty much on par with real A500/A600 .. if not even better.

He wants a real Amiga
He does not want to use an emulator
He wants to use a mouse to draw
He wants to use a keyboard to program
He probably does not want to spend 300 quid, when he can get an A600/A1200 for far less. Even the minimig is cheaper.

Why don't you listen to what the the man wants, rather than trying force your viewpoint that's contrary to what has been requested?

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;631172
The MiniMig output is scan doubled and flicker fixed... My LCD TVs look horrible when running my A500 and A1200... Both via RGB (Scart) and the RF modulator...

AMOS isn't generally compiled ;) but the 68k on the MiniMig does run quite a bit faster than the A600.

heh, true. little extra speed never went amiss.
Own 3 LCD TV's all display fine, without any flicker, and display NTSC fine as well. Can even link it up through VGA for scandoubled modes, but generally don't bother. In fact, iv'e never seen any LCD I own display interlace flicker. I guess it's going to depent on his make and model of TV then.

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 01:03:10 PM »
@Hooligan

Nah,your as entitled to your opinion as I am, so maybe I should stfu :)

As for a butt ugly Amiga, your right that's going to be the problem, most second hand ones are a lovely '20 smokes a day' colour (well, maybe not the Amigakit ones).

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »
The whole Geohot thing is very iffy. Sony are out to prove he was actively promoting piracy. As far as I understand it, they are trying to get him on that, rather than say he has no right to alter a piece of equipment he owns rather than licences. After all you bought your PS3, it's yours, not sony's. The network you try to play on, that's a different story. Anyway, a bit OT :)

@tone

Good job, iv'e always fancied doing that. You need a new case sticker though ;)
Hope you have blue LED's for that bad girl!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:36:07 PM by Khephren »

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;631378

Besides PS3 is just plain ugly, makes the A500 look good :roflmao:

Besides, I don't like the lineage:     ;)

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »
A1200 all the way baby!
(iv'e been on topic some of the time....)

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »
Well done mate! Keep us informed about how you get on with it. Good price too. Even if it's just  a ram card, it will double the machines speed.

One of these sites should help with the card:
http://www.amiga-hardware.com/
http://amiga.resource.cx/