Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cheap PPC Linux Machines From IBM  (Read 3325 times)

Description:

Offline Gaidheal

• Show all replies
Re: Cheap PPC Linux Machines From IBM
« on: July 20, 2003, 10:20:52 PM »
Wooohooo!  Been waiting for this....

No prizes for guessing my upgrade path :¬)

[color=3300FF]Gaidheal[/color][/b][color=0066CC] - \\"The Emulator Guy\\"[/color][/i]

Offline Gaidheal

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 12:32:52 PM »
Cheap?  Yup, certainly is.  Take a good hard look at the specs again.  Targetted at 98% of computer users?  Not likely!  But I am not one of that 98%, hence my interest.  An extremely powerful workstation is EXACTLY what I want and if it comes specced as suggested, at < $3,500  even allowing for the fact they never properly convert the price to sterling, but often just swap $ for £ it is within my grasp for that kind of power.  It remains to be seen whether they put the kind of graphics support I'd really want on it... but then, it's all just a press release for now :¬)

Re: UBoot - want it supported by AROS?  Send an A1 to an AROS developer.  Sorry folks!  AROS is an Open Source, part time (almost 'hobby') project.  It has professionals working on it, but I doubt anyone can justify buying an A1 merely to port AROS to it because people have asked for it.  Not at this point in time anyway.  If you've got an A1 and you are interested in AROS and/or you are a developer, why not join the project and see about working on UBoot support?
[color=3300FF]Gaidheal[/color][/b][color=0066CC] - \\"The Emulator Guy\\"[/color][/i]

Offline Gaidheal

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 03:11:20 PM »
@Matt:

We can hope... but don't count on it with nVidia (whose cards I use and love, by the way)

Offline Gaidheal

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 04:21:30 PM »
@asian1

IBM already said they will put AIX onto the 970 based servers :¬)