Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does it ever cease?  (Read 4176 times)

Description:

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
Re: Does it ever cease?
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 03, 2003, 03:32:04 PM »
most of the software we consider 'pirated' the outside world considers abandonware or 'so old nobody cares'

Yes true, and i actually agree that its ok to download games you cannot buy anymore. But downloading new software that they still sell, that is VERY WRONG.

Atleast with wrong abandonware, the company does not loose anything, since they do not sell orginal copys anymore, and also in the end the game would dissapear and die if there wasnt for that you could download the game somewhere.

Nice to have back2theroots btw... they do a good job with sharing legal abandonware  :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2003, 04:35:53 PM »
"abandonware"

"How dare you steal the pears I threw away!"

:-)

Offline unclewilli-amigalover

• Show only replies by unclewilli-amigalover
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 06:04:58 PM »
cyberus, iam with you on this if people want os3.9 they need to buy it like i did and others have. it may not end because there's always some one that feels this world owes them big time!.. crap i wouldn't let by own brother (flesh & blood) have a free copy, not saying he wanted one, but he wanted to support a good cause and paid for his own like i did. there is no free world, in this United States Of America and other countries  honest people pay with money, in countries that have no law honest people pay with there life.  if we have  no law/no honesty/ we have no  freedom...people worked very hard and used their talents to build some thing worth having, its worth paying for. of course this is just my personal moral belief, no pay for no work/ fair pay for fair work/ great pay for great work/ try to help those that can't help their self. some times making the right choice is difficult but one does feel better making the right choice...

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2003, 07:21:26 PM »
Ebay is the worst they remove anything thats is by microsoft but let users advertise pirate amiga disks. One collection was for 1800 games on floppys .Sometimes you can find a dvd disc with 1800 games to use with win uae and no way is it all freeware. :-?

os3.5 is only £9.99 from ebay including postage username is amigetta.
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2003, 07:27:58 PM »
in this United States Of America

awe inspiring, isn't it? :-D

JOKE PEOPLE! JOKE!

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2003, 09:42:18 PM »
Anytime someone discusses piracy extensively...and I have brought the subject up on many occasions, you find two very common threads.

One is, if the person doesn't think it feels like piracy, then they will insist its legal in 'their' country.

The other is, they will always mention that they can get away with it....in other words, many people are pragmatic and have no internal moral compass, they will do what they can, until they get caught.

So, this is reality and part of the discussion, usually.
Will people get caught stealing OS4, will the OS4 people come out against the piracy of Mac OS X.

Unfortunately there are only a very few in this community that are very strong pro-IP advocates, and that most definately does not include leadership.

I know from first hand knowledge that the leadership of the main two teams wishes to circumvent the Mac OS X license, in order to spur hardware sales.

Remember, all software is sold as a limited license to use.

I, personally, will not copy OS4....but on the other hand, I also won't shed a tear if OS4 is pirated into oblivion, I'll call it just and fitting.

Offline unclewilli-amigalover

• Show only replies by unclewilli-amigalover
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2003, 11:21:23 PM »
yes mikeymike, in this United States Of America. if thats the only thing you found funny with my comments then were on the right track then. and i did state other countries also.

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2003, 11:29:42 PM »
@MarkTime

I agree most people don't care about piracy on "the other platform."  Surely, in the early 90's everyone in the Amiga community laughed at the piracy in the PC market.  Yes, the sting of piracy was in the Amiga market too, but they didn't care about he piracy outside of the little Amiga community.

Well, I've said it before, and now I'll say it again, "Piracy in the big markets hurt the small markets."  The point being that Joe Schmuck looked at buying a computer.  Joe Schmuck's sister worked at an office.  Joe Schmuck could get all of her office software for free if he bought a PC...  That was a fairly large blow to the Amiga market, even then.
Regards,
Targhan

Offline mdwh2

• Show only replies by mdwh2
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2003, 12:02:38 AM »

MarkTime wrote:
Remember, all software is sold as a limited license to use.
Very little software is sold with a license. Quite a lot of software have some text presented to the user at the time of installation, but very little is sold under a license.

I, personally, will not copy OS4....but on the other hand, I also won't shed a tear if OS4 is pirated into oblivion, I'll call it just and fitting.
So now you're saying that piracy is justified? Well if disagreeing with the copyright owner's morals can justify piracy, then this argument can be applied to anything, be it Amiga, Apple, or the RIAA.

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2003, 12:42:04 AM »
@ MarkTime

So why do you want to buy it, if you want it to die?

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2003, 02:22:22 AM »
Im sure morph os will also be copied  but most genuine users would buy it with hardware it was desighned for. :-o  :-?
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2003, 03:49:57 AM »
@amigamad:
os3.5 is only £9.99 from ebay including postage username is amigetta.

I agree that piracy is piracy, but in this case you've got the wrong man.  "Amigetta" is actually the ebay presence of "GTI Grenville Trading International GmbH", an actual online shop.  I know because I recently bought some hardware from them (an A500 RAM expansion) and they seem to be on the up-and-up.  The hardware I got looked brand-new (as promised) and they shipped it promptly.  The confirmation email they sent me was addressed as being from "Schatztruhe Sales", a name I remember seeing associated with the Amiga for quite some time.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2003, 05:37:36 AM »

CodeSmith wrote:
....was addressed as being from "Schatztruhe Sales", a name I remember seeing associated with the Amiga for quite some time.

Yup,just check yourAminet-CDs .....
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline jump2bnaked

• Show only replies by jump2bnaked
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2003, 11:51:04 PM »
I agree with you about how wrong it is to pirate software, 4 example, AOS 3.5 &3.9 but some of them can hardly be gotten hold of.

Personaly, i'm stuck in the mud here. My example is I want to connect my Draco (amiga clone using amiga OS) to the internet. After about a year of searching fo an areadn ii card, i found one. I have the AOS 3.9. Genesis cant get me online and i have been informed that Maiami DLx is the right software to use. I have been on the Nordic Global site and maild them that i want to purchase a copy. 2 months now and no reply.

Now if someone offers me a copy free of charge, should I say no?

I do not encourage piracy as I have never used any software on my machines that i hav'nt paid for. Movieshop, LightWave,ImageFx,Pagestream, you name it. Some times it hard to say no.

Anyway any body got Maiami Delux to spare so that i can use the Draco to get online by ADSL & net work my machines?

One reason I want to do this is when people come here to get their work done & they se me swaping diskkets to & from the draco and pc's they keep asking, can't you net wok the machines? Normaly my answer is this is an amiga. Then they go ooh i see, old system it's out of date.

I know it is possible to get it done bout not as easy as it could be.

I will never pirate AOS or any other software but when the developer just disapear and leaves you in the wilderness, anyone who helps you out is a savoir.