Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS/2/Linux  (Read 3921 times)

Description:

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: OS/2/Linux
« on: April 14, 2010, 09:52:58 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;553528
I'm surprised IBM don't pimp their OS now, there is total apathy with many people users/businesses now (who if they have any intelligence use CITRIX in a corporate environment) and Lenovo desktops/laptops/netbooks sold with a perfectly pre-configured OS/2 setup would do wonders for the stale OS bloatware market place Apple and M$ hold now alone for retail buyers.

Only problem with that is that IBM have no say over what Lenovo do anymore with IBM owning less than 5% in shares of that company Lenovo isn't IBM anymore.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Mg7TdU9E3d0C

Since the takeover the quality of their laptops have taken a downward direction, having supported them the last great laptop that IBM made was the T61 which is around the sametime IBM ditched their retail arm.

But I miss OS/2 alot, if they did release it again and compete with Linux I'd switch :)

Quote from: Amiga_Nut;553528
(Windows7 is a joke.It looks worse than Vista and still needs 2Gb just to drag a mouse round the screen and launch applications without thrashing your hard disk to death....what a joke MS operating systems have become....all the super fast CPUs getting churned out are effectively lumbered with running the tonne of code with each successive bloating of the Windows franchise. FAIL.)

Not sure what Windows 7 you've been running but it has no issues running on a machine with 512MB of RAM, i.e. netbooks. Comparing it to vista who had a 3 minute boot time to windows 7 that took 30 seconds with no issues dragging a mouse around. On my desktop machine it hardly touches the HDD but Vista was a different beast with constant HDD access.

It's replaced my Ubuntu install as I was that impressed. Ubuntu is still running on my server box as a headless LAMP server becuase it does a better job than it's Windows server competitors as a server. Only thing missing is the Domain controller/AD stuff which I don't use at home.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:01:30 PM by Lurch »
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: OS/2/Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:36:42 AM »
Quote from: Colani1200;554778
Yeah, sure. It even runs fine on my 386 DX 40.

Having actual real world experience supporting Windows 7 (not to mention being in the IT industry for over 15 odd years) I do know what Windows 7 is capable of.

You just need to do a Google and find many success stories with 7. Microsoft listened to their users and and upped their game.

Windows 7 was designed from the ground up to fix the issues that were present in Vista, I could go into the details on this but I know it wouldn't make any difference to some peoples views (some of which haven't even used 7).

I think some people just jump on the band wagon because it's the latest trend and not actually look at the facts. In my mind I use a product if it's good not who produces it.

Cheap comments like the above are not needed and do not add to the conversation in anyway. I'm very surprised to see this sort of attitude in the Amiga forums, just seems childish and pointless.

Back to lurking I think.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub