Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot (solved) sort of  (Read 7497 times)

Description:

Offline David WrightTopic starter

Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot (solved) sort of
« on: November 20, 2021, 01:37:22 AM »
It does this no matter if 3.1 roms or 3.2 are installed, or if scsi and ide boot disabled.
Tried different Gotek. Same.
Everything was working before I installed 3.2 so even when going back to 3.1 same results.

So, tried two button mouse hold down for early boot. No luck, but would probably come up if I waited real long.
Tried without CF card just to wait for prompt same amount of time.

Floppy cable seem to connect and DF0 Gotek works.
Warp 040 seated well.
No Zorro cards are attached.
Memory shows all is well.
Ran some diagnostics from Gotek and couldn't find any issues.

So what gives?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 02:38:48 AM by David Wright »

Re: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 04:36:44 AM »
I’m thinking warp card related also but why would it start now? Keep in mind this does all of this with 3.1 roms also and even without a hd boot. Disconnect all and try to boot with only gotek and does the same. Even the two button hold down takes that long.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 03:54:15 PM »
Played with jumpers on warp card. Tried diasbled and with other settings. Nothing changed.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 02:33:47 AM »
The caps lock test passed. No issues there.
No need to remove u177 etc. I hope

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 03:46:06 AM »
If everything is disconnected except gotek, still same time. Even without gotek same.
Eight minutes to get insert disk or with CF card boot. Holding two buttons on mouse same.

This was recapped and one through hole repair last year. (After my poor attempt to do myself)

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 02:57:03 PM »
Good thinking Pat but my manual says if HJ &K are jumpered no LUN scan will proceed.
Still I played with all of them and nothing. The three terminator pins are in the card.

So frustrating since this configuration has always worked unless something broke or disconnected somehow.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 03:26:38 AM »
Another issue that I just noticed. When finally in workbench mouse movement is jerky and erratic. Two optical mice and one std. tank mouse. Optical work well on other Amigas.
Joystick seems ok but I swear there were issues of function before just thought it was a glitch.

Related? I sure as heck don’t know.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 11:29:58 PM »
No other card. Actually it all started when i removed old old roms then installed new. Software worked well with 3.1 roms.
When I reinstalled old 3.1 roms issue remained.
One too many times removing warp card/roms may have done something possibly.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 04:37:45 PM »
I looked at the setbatt in Aminet. Strongly discourages using in other Amigas

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 03:00:26 AM »
I don't see a U451 chip anywhere.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2021, 07:49:22 PM »
Why always this amount of time? As Pat calculated the scanning on scsi channels or luns, works out to about that much.
Not saying one couldn't be misled by that but if it was a bad solder joint or bad chip wouldn't there be more inconsistency?
Even if it was, why would those issues fall in the exact same time frame.

It really feels like a system hang until it completes a routine that has some disruption, missing component then completes it work.
I can disconnect or connect all and same result.

This may have to find it's way to a competent technician.
In the past when I would take this off the shelf to play with it was always a slog getting it to boot up. Many attempts at trying to boot then finally the chime which
meant success. After that there was never a day gone by it reverted to poor startup , until I laid it away for a while. Then repeat.

I also remember last year trying to get a zz9000 to work and with poor results or none at all. Thought then it might be the daughter board but bought another one, same thing.
One more issue just to confuse all of you. I have a video toaster card that came with this and when powering up their was a high pitched whine coming out of it.
Then, I thought it was the Toaster but what if the load from it was causing the motherboard to react.

This machine has a new atx power supply by the way.

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 07:28:50 PM »
Well some things from the past could be relevant as I stated earlier:

In the past when I would take this off the shelf to play with it was always a slog getting it to boot up. Many attempts at trying to boot then finally the chime which
meant success. After that there was never a day gone by it reverted to poor startup , until I laid it away for a while. Then repeat.

I also remember last year trying to get a zz9000 to work and with poor results or none at all. Thought then it might be the daughter board but bought another one, same thing.
One more issue just to confuse all of you. I have a video toaster card that came with this and when powering up their was a high pitched whine coming out of it.
Then, I thought it was the Toaster but what if the load from it was causing the motherboard to react.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 12:24:01 AM »
I was told if power light goes from dim to bright on power on or reset then probably reset switch is good. This is the case here.
Someone mentioned Diagroms to test but that info wouldn't help me much unless provided to others

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 11:43:36 PM »
Anyone here know where in US I can get diagroms?

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 11:07:35 PM »
Diagroms should be here Monday. Hopefully I can get info that others can interpret.
I have no null modem or serial cable but since video output works maybe read it directly.
Thanks for asking.