Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Networking issues  (Read 12189 times)

Description:

Offline nineocTopic starter

• Show only replies by nineoc
Re: Networking issues
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 04:45:07 PM »
 I am not very knowledgeable about IT in general, in particular the terminology, so this is very helpful, thank you. Will see how I can navigate through your instructions.

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 07:32:37 PM »
[quote author=I wonder if it's using something other than Miami as the TCP/IP stack if Miami gives an error when it's run but you can get onto the Internet (I'm assuming you mean you can get onto web sites or similar).

Yes, I can access web sites.

Have a look in the WBStartup drawer to see which programmes run when you boot up or look at your startup-sequence and user-startup files (in the S Drawer) to se if you can identify what programmes run.

All I see in the WBStartup drawer are three icons, Turbospool, Turboptrint and RexxMast, for printing and Arexx.

In the S drawer are many many icons, don't know what I am looking for. Could do a screenshot, if I knew how. Could take a photo?

Does your Router have an option to Ping devices through one of the admin pages? If so can you ping the Amiga from there?

Having difficulty accessing the router, waiting for my ISP to assist.

From the PC you could also try tracert in a Command Prompt. Format is `tracert <IP address of Amiga>` e.g. tracert 192.168.0.123. This will show how Windows is navigating across the network to try and access the Amiga.

Tried tracert, nothing happens. Perhaps my formatting is incorrect.

I don't know how knowledgable you are about Amigas & IT in general so apologies if anything above is too simple or complex.

[/quote]

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 07:35:50 PM »
Tried to reply including your last instructions, it did not take. Trying again

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2020, 07:40:21 PM »
        View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »

Say Thanks

I wonder if it's using something other than Miami as the TCP/IP stack if Miami gives an error when it's run but you can get onto the Internet (I'm assuming you mean you can get onto web sites or similar).

Can access the net.

Have a look in the WBStartup drawer to see which programmes run when you boot up or look at your startup-sequence and user-startup files (in the S Drawer) to se if you can identify what programmes run.

Three icons in drawer that deal with printing and Arexx.

Many,many icons in S drawer, don't know what I am looking for.

Does your Router have an option to Ping devices through one of the admin pages? If so can you ping the Amiga from there?

Unable to access router, waiting for ISP to assist.

From the PC you could also try tracert in a Command Prompt. Format is `tracert <IP address of Amiga>` e.g. tracert 192.168.0.123. This will show how Windows is navigating across the network to try and access the Amiga.

Tried that, did not work, window disappears. Perhaps I am entering incorrectly.

I don't know how knowledgable you are about Amigas & IT in general so apologies if anything above is too simple or complex.

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2020, 07:45:31 PM »
Can access the net

Only icons in startup drawe are for printing and Arexx

Many many icons in S drawer, don't know what to look for

Unable to access router, waiting for ISP to assist

Tried tracert, no success, perhaps entering wrong format

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2020, 03:34:15 AM »
So, the plot thickens. I now have access to the router, and all the IP addresses. Have been able to ping from the router itself via the mac, and have beenable to connect with everything EXCEPT the Amiga.

Had Explorer running, but not sure if Miami was, or if there is another utility that should be.

To be continued.

Online AndyFC

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2020, 10:35:45 AM »
Great - you're starting to get somewhere by being able to access the router. Please can you confirm what you mean that you can connect with everything except the Amiga? Can you Ping the Amiga from the router?

The last thing I want to confirm is that your Amiga 2000 is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable? This might sound obvious but it's possible to connect Amiga to PC via Parallel or Serial link and hook onto the PC's networking capability to access the Internet. The things below apply if you are using Ethernet...

Tracert on Windows: It reads like you have run Tracert straight from the Search/command bar near the Start menu. Instead type CMD in the same way and this will open up a command prompt window which should stay open as you run commands. Run Tracert in there and it will stay open for you to see the output.

Confirming your IP address: As you have Miami installed, even if it's not working properly, there is a command you can use called Miaminetstat which will display information about your Network e.g. confirm your IP address etc. Because your Miami isn't set up properly (it warns about the missing Assign), it might be easier to find the Miaminetstat file and copy it to the C: Directory. Once you have done that open up Shell on the Amiga and just type 'Miaminetstat' whilst online to see what it shows. Attached is a pic of the relevant part of the output on my machine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:44:17 AM by AndyFC »
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2020, 04:32:31 PM »
My apologies for not beig specific. In the router control panel, all the computers are listed by name, with the IP Addresses for each one. The only exception is the Amiga, in that it shows the IP Address, but lists the device as unknown. I can ping all the computers except the Amiga.

I have found the Ping command in Miami, but when I attempt to use it, the message reads Unable to open miami.library version 8.

AmiTCP-4.3 is also on thre machine, and I am able to start it, but I do not know its' function. There is also an icon for something called Samba.

All of the computers are connected to the router via an Ethernet cable, and the Amiga is able to access the internet.

I have another old PC running Windows 7 I brought out of storage, and it can ping the other computers, but not the Amiga.

I did run Tracert straight from the Search command. Will try the CMD shortly, as well as the Miaminetstat command and post the results. Thank you for your patience and assistance, it is GREATLY appreciated.

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2020, 07:01:43 PM »
So: Went the CMD route for the Mac and received the following info: <1ms  <1ms  <1ms   plus the ip address  Trace Complete.

Was unable to connect with the Amiga, message was Request Timed Out.

As for the Miamistat process, copied the icon to the C directory, and opened a Shell. The shell did not look like yours. It defaulted to:

New Shell process 8
8Workbench:>

No matter what combination of words I typed in to access Miamistat, the cli said Unknown command.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 07:04:34 PM »
Good Day,

I bet it's an IP issue. New cable modem+new IP, unless you have roadshow there is no DHCP to "auto tune" the IP it must be entered manually. The amiga world, the way it is. cable modems may have an IP like 192.168.1.1 the last number or set is the device number. Computer 1 would have an ending in 002 and so on. The first 3 sets of numbers must be the same, Your computer still has old IP. You must change it in your tcp/ip software.

Chris

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 08:00:35 PM »
Hi Chris, and thanks for your input. Most of what you say is over my head.

The modem is relatively new from my ISP, as are the cables, some of which run underground from the media box in my house to my studio where the Amiga is located, so changing them out is impractical at the moment.

I am not familiar with DHCP, nor how to edit the tcp/ip software. This is a complex network and my skill set is not good enough to mess with it. Push comes to shove, I would have to hire someone to check things out, and finding someone in this neck of the woods that is familiar enough with Amiga hard and software is nigh on to impossible.

Am still trying to determine what tcp/ip software the Amiga is using, as it says that Miami is not installed, yet the machine is able to connect with the internet.

I understand what you are saying about device numbers all having the same first three sets, and they all do, including the Amiga. The only difference appears to be the last digits, EG: there are six computers in the network, and in five of them, the last digits are only two numbers and they are sequential, with the exception of the Amiga which has three.

Regards

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2020, 08:15:38 PM »
what windoze are you using?

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 08:20:37 PM »
Put a zero in front of the last number and make it the same number of digits.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 08:40:40 PM »
Oop's make that 2 digits, IP's are picky.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2020, 08:43:32 PM »
one more thing, make sure the gateway on the Amiga is the same as the router's IP.

« Reply #29 from previous page: December 31, 2020, 09:04:07 PM »
Windows is XP

Don't quite follow this:

"Put a zero in front of the last number and make it the same number of digits.

Oop's make that 2 digits, IP's are picky."

EG: if the other machines are numbered   20, 21, 22, etc., and the Amiga is 123, what would I change it to,and how/where?