Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This is a plea to anyone involved with the 90s AMIX mirrors  (Read 8808 times)

Description:

Offline NothTopic starter

• Show only replies by Noth
This is a plea to anyone involved with the 90s AMIX mirrors
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:37:32 AM »
If you were using or even running either litamiga.epfl.ch or amiga.physik.unizh.ch (the two main mirrors), please get in touch with either myself or others at http://amix.failsure.net. I'm hoping someone somewhere has a tape archive of the contents of those sites before they shut down, they're the treasure trove of Amiga Unix software that we need back!

Offline trekiej

Re: This is a plea to anyone involved with the 90s AMIX mirrors
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:50:01 AM »
I can not reach that page.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »
It appears to be down for the time being, hopefully will be back up some time this week.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 02:35:29 PM »
Quote from: Noth;835235
amiga.physik.unizh.ch

After a few months of operation, this server (an actual A3000 UX) turned into what's known as Aminet today. There are no backups of the hard drive.

I can ask Urban what happened to the A3000 in question, but hunting down follow-up owners of that machine is going to be a time-consuming task, given that it's been 26 years...

Offline trekiej

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 09:21:01 PM »
I believe there was a Microsoft, Yahoo or Geocities group for Amix a while back.
edit:
How about this?
http://www.amigaunix.de/downloads.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:24:22 PM by trekiej »
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:10:33 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;835257
I believe there was a Microsoft, Yahoo or Geocities group for Amix a while back.
edit:
How about this?
http://www.amigaunix.de/downloads.html

What I'm looking for is the thirdparty stuff built on AMIX for AMIX. Like the (updated to 2.x, including binutils) GCC toolchain, any net utils, etc etc. We have some on amix.failsure.net but litamiga.epfl.ch was the main repository for all that.

I'm really curious if anyone bothered to expand the Open Look desktop for example with some actually beyond housekeeping apps, or if anyone managed to build an actually working thirdparty windowmanager.

Also, Mosaic.

Offline Pentad

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 08:24:12 PM »
Quote from: Noth;835268
What I'm looking for is the thirdparty stuff built on AMIX for AMIX. Like the (updated to 2.x, including binutils) GCC toolchain, any net utils, etc etc. We have some on amix.failsure.net but litamiga.epfl.ch was the main repository for all that.

I'm really curious if anyone bothered to expand the Open Look desktop for example with some actually beyond housekeeping apps, or if anyone managed to build an actually working thirdparty windowmanager.

Also, Mosaic.

I had AMIX running on my Amiga 3000 when I was in college as did many other students. Many of them had AMIX running more than AmigaOS as they were rabid UNIX fans. I know for a fact I saw the following:

-I saw Mosaic running. It has been a long time but I am 99% sure of this.

-There was a GUI email client they were running too. I can't for the life of me remember the name. Heck, I was still using elm at the time.

-One of the guys lived off campus and he could dial into the network with slip and get his email which then went into this GUI email client.

-They had complied a lot of builder tools as well. I think they were compiling some basic stuff from NeXT and AUX (we had both labs) but I'm not sure. I know they exchanged files but I can't remember.

-Lastly, I'm pretty sure they had some sort sound player. I remember them playing some Amiga IFFs and some Ren and Stimpy samples. "No sir, I didn't like it" sticks out in my head.

Wish I could be more help. Haven't thought about this in decades. Hope you can recover these files. It would be nice to have them preserved.

-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show only replies by gregthecanuck
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 06:58:59 AM »
@Noth

I think I may have an old AcuCOBOL compiler demo disk for Amiga UNIX. Interested?

This may be one of the rarest pieces of software on the planet.  ;-)

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 02:02:22 AM »
Quote from: gregthecanuck;835315
@Noth

I think I may have an old AcuCOBOL compiler demo disk for Amiga UNIX. Interested?

This may be one of the rarest pieces of software on the planet.  ;-)

I suggest you talk to Jason Scott at archive.org or to the TOSEC people. A demo COBOL compiler isn't going to get an AMIX desktop anywhere useful.

Offline oddsocks

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 12:19:08 AM »
For what it's worth, regarding additional software for AMIX, most of the binaries distributed as part of Atari System V run under AMIX. For example, the motif stuff works quite well.
Cheers
OddSocks.

The following users thanked this post: Amiga_CDTV