Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Forum Restructuring  (Read 17693 times)

Description:

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
Re: Amiga.org Forum Restructuring
« on: October 01, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;783203

What I would seriously like, is a wiki of sorts here a.org that served as an Amiga development learning hub. Tutorials and examples for BASIC, C, C++, E and whatever else people are into at the moment.

That is something I could seriously get behind.

I support this brilliant idea!

I got my first computer back in 1986 - it was a CBM 610 (128 kB RAM) that I expanded to an CBM 620 (256 kB). There was near to no software available for it, aside from a word processor.

So I coded on it day and night (CBM Basic 4.0) and finally came up with a sort of GUI for it. It made the use of that machine much more convenient - just a mouse was missing, but I used the arrow- and enter-keys instead to move the cursor around.

I also ported many C64 games that didn't rely on colour and graphics with the help of a ROM cross reference list.

Then I got my first Amiga in 1989 - an A500.
I always wanted to learn how to code for the Amiga, but as there was enough software commercially available, there was no need to learn coding for the Amiga. When you went to a store, there always were hordes of pupils in the electronics section gathering around the Amigas and copying tons of floppy disks with the latest cracked software.
I was so busy with testing the new software titles to see if they are usable that no time was left to learn how to code for the Amiga. Of course I legally bought those titles that turned out to be a "must have" and so have a nice collection of Amiga productivity software today - including last StormC version, some Basic dialects, Hollywood and so on...

But when the NG Amigas came up and when many old software became more and more useless (like e.g. browsers), I started to regret that I never learned to code for the Amiga.

When I tried to, I quickly gave up again, as it turned out to be very time consuming to gather all necessary information on the web without the help of someone experienced. So a central point to get all the necessary information on how a beginner can learn to code for the Amiga (classic & NG) in the different languages would be more than welcome.

Different topic:
What I'm also missing here in the forum at A.org is a way to "mask" links like it is possible e.g. at Amiga-News.De. At amiga-news.de they have a button on the posting screen that - once clicked - opens an requestor where you can enter the URL and another one to enter the title (e.g. name of the website). This is a very neat feature, as some links can be really long (several lines) and it really makes sense to "mask" them like I did above with "Amiga-News.De".

I also miss buttons for bold, italics and underlined.
Or to enter code that shall get displayed as entered (and not interpreted as html) like I used it here to draw a schematics.

Furthermore I miss the large list of emoticons to pick from for use inside a posting. All I can see is a (short) list to pick an emoticon from for the thread title - below the editor window. The list for the use inside postings on the right side (or was it left?) disappeared some years ago...

Such little gimmicks would make posting here much more convenient without having to know html...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_CDTV;796701

User can select between Basic/Standard/Enhanced Interface in User CP -> Edit Options -> Message Editor Interface. The Basic one is mostly just a text box without any formatting tools.

O.K. - thanks - will try that!
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_CDTV;796701

User can select between Basic/Standard/Enhanced Interface in User CP -> Edit Options -> Message Editor Interface. The Basic one is mostly just a text box without any formatting tools.

Yeah - Thanks!
I really just had the basic editor. I never found how to Change it.
I just remembered that it was much better than that before AOrg's owner changed for the first time years ago.
:cool:
I could never figure out how to change it back to the appearance I was used to!

So again - thanks alot!!!
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me