Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IDE on GVP A3001 Accelerator  (Read 2159 times)

Description:

Offline OlecranonTopic starter

• Show all replies
IDE on GVP A3001 Accelerator
« on: August 09, 2006, 11:42:34 PM »
Hi everyone,

I recently picked up an A2000 system with a GVP A3001 Accelerator installed.  This is a series II (rev 8 I think) board running a 68030 @ 50Mhz.  When I popped the system open I was surprised to see the SCSI hard drives running off a GVP HC+8 SCSI controller instead of the accelerator card.  After a bit of looking, I noticed that the controller on the 030 board was IDE and not SCSI.

So...  a couple questions.

1) would you suggest I pull the SCSI out of the system and try to install an IDE drive?  

2) anyone know what jumper settings I need to enable the IDE controller on this card?

3) I read something on Ralph Babels web site about these early IDE controllers being incompatible with lots of IDE drives.  Does anyone have any experience using this card with IDE hard drives?

Thanks

Offline OlecranonTopic starter

• Show all replies
Re: IDE on GVP A3001 Accelerator
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 02:53:02 AM »

DamageX wrote:
I have the same setup, 50MHz GVP A3001 and GVP HC+8

I have an 80MB IDE drive that was originally included with the A3001 but that is the ONLY drive that seemed to work with it. I tried some larger (400MB-2.5GB) WD, Seagate, and Quantum drives without success. So I disabled the IDE and use a 2GB drive attached to the HC+8 instead, it's faster anyway.

Thanks for the responses.  One final question.  I've decided to just stay with SCSI and use a GVP HC+8 SCSI controller.  This is a DMA controller and it has 2 MB of RAM installed.  Am I better off removing the memory and going strictly with 32bit RAM?  Or doesn't it matter because the GVP controller cant DMA in 32bit memory (if my memory is correct)?

Thanks again