Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?  (Read 11050 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoder

Re: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:35:07 AM »
Windows or more accurate the Desktop OS has been on death row every since smart phones and tablets became popular.   In say 5/10 years the 'traditional' home computer will be as retro as my A1200 :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:39:42 AM »
Windows or more accurate the Desktop OS has been on death row every since smart phones and tablets became popular.   I'd say 5/10 years the 'traditional' home computer will be as retro as my A1200 :)

MS are in trouble really, they are doing 'ok' with their phone platform, the XBOX One probably won't be as successfully as the 360, their Search business continues to lose $$$, their tablets are drowning and the desktop market is fading fast.    At least they've got the MS Office and the business/server market to keep them in the black zone.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »
Quote from: djos;741882
I disagree, the pre-order numbers are waay ahead of the 360 according to the analysts (same for ps4) - i waited for the hdmi 360 myself before buying but i've pre-ordered a One as I think it will be pretty good. The HD Skype alone is going to be great for us with lots of family and freinds OS.

We'll see, I did say probably ;)

Lots of people think the days of the console are as dead as the idea people will use their PC's to access the Internet, I think Nintendo would agree with that.    If you look at the XBOX One you can see that MS is also thinking the same thing, it's a 'voice activated home media-web browser-cable-tv controller-social media center' first and a games console a distant second.

I doubt that MS will sell more XBOX One's than 360's over it's lifetime (80 million+).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:59:22 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »
PC sales are in decline, have been for some time now, the figures are out there and it doesn't look pretty.   Windows as a desktop platform is therefore also 'dying', Windows on mobiles/tablets is a different creature.

As Intel’s PC processor division sees significant declines, the company has predicted that tablet computers could reach price points as low as $150 (£98) by this year’s holiday season.

PC Sales slump continues

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!