Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Warp3D  (Read 1218 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

Warp3D
« on: September 29, 2003, 11:26:15 PM »
Well, for those who saw the results of it, the point of my memory upgrade fiasco was to get more RAM for Warp3D.

I still can't seem to figure out how to configure it properly. All the 3D displays look very bad (wrong colors, missing textures, etc). Does anyone have any experience successfully running W3D on a CV3D under CGX?

Looking forward to Payback!

Offline Acill

Re: Warp3D
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 11:40:22 PM »
I've been using it on a Voodoo 3 with my Mediator. I used to have a lot of problems with it. It ended up being a bad install. I just got tired of all the trouble and did a complete clean install of 3.1, then 3.9 and put it all back on. It's worked fine ever since. I use it under P96 as well.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 02:35:13 AM »
Hi,

Assuming all of your CGX / W3D settings are correct (make sure bitmap cacheing is enabled for CGX, warp3D needs it), check the following...

The problems youre having could probably be down not to how much memory you have overall, but how much ram you have on the gfx card.

IIRC, the CV3D has only 4Mb. For hardware accelerated rendering, everything the 3D chip needs to use must be present in the cards memory.

That means your display, back buffer (for double buffering), z-buffer and textures all need to fit into the 4M.

Assume you have a double-buffered 640x480 display, 16-bits deep and a 16-bit z-buffer, that equates to (640x480x2) x 3, which is 1800K.
Thats half of your 4M gone already.

Warp3D itself manages the texture cacheing, making sure that whatever is not needed at the moment is swapped out of video ram into normal memory.

One thing I recall is that there is a setting for the card that reserves 1M of the memory for 'multimedia' stuff - an overlay I think. I'm not sure if you need to disable this (to free up more ram for textures).

When running warp3D apps on your CV3D, try to free up as much video ram as possible. Close any unneeded screens and windows. Then drop your workbench to 640x200x8 bit (fewer than 256 colours wont matter on a chunky display) and lose any patterns etc. You could save a settings preset for this so you can just simply load the prefs again later when you need to.

This all may sound drastic but it will free as much of your VRAM as possible.

Finally, if the 3D apps you wish to run allow it, use lower texture detail settings and turn off mip mapping (each level of mip map uses more video memory).

Hope this helps...
int p; // A

Offline PPC

• Show only replies by PPC
    • http://home.planet.nl/~seele069
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 08:17:41 AM »
well i had it working about 2 years ago and it worked fine, but what is your setup? wich amiga with what software ?
I just installed the driver for the cv643d en then i ran the W3D installation worked fine on my A1200/blizz ppc/Zorro IV board/cv643d

I can say 1 thing about a cv643d&w3d, the cv643d is sooooooooo slow compared to a B or C vision ppc
Amiga is addictive coz it is fun to use

A1200 Elbox power tower, BPPC 040/25+603e 240 Mhz, 128 MB RAM,Bvision,Zorro IV&Zorro IV PCI busboard,X-surf,Buddha IDE
A4000 Elbox power tower,CSPPC 060/60+604e 233Mhz, 128 MB RAM,CvisonPPC, AriadneII
A600+Vampire V2,A604N+RTC,SUM USB keyboard controller,Topolino with logitech wireless keyboard&mouse

Offline zipper

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 09:49:12 AM »
I think I tried Payback with CV3D getting some very slow slideshows - just to test. The only playable 3D game with CV3D in ZorroII is ADescentWarp3D. And as the Virge chip uses 15bit AFAIK for 3D, your wrong colours may depend on it.

Offline patrik

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 06:57:50 PM »
@Matt_H:

To use the CyberVision64/3D with Warp3D you must make sure that you have 15-bit screenmodes activated (the environment variable CyberGraphX/HIDE15BIT is "0"). If not, Warp3D-applications wont be able to find any screenmode(s) to use. This also means that if you are to run a windowed Warp3D-application on your Workbench you have to use a 15-bit screenmode. This as it seems the Virge-chip on the CyberVision64/3D only does 3D on 15-bit screens as zipper said.

/Patrik

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 10:23:09 PM »
@patrik:

You're more than a year late with your tip. :-)

Offline patrik

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 10:43:56 PM »
@x56h34:

Yeah, I know. Just had to say it :). Someone might have use for it, who knows :).

/Patrik

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 04:46:36 AM »
I'd resolved most of the problems quite a while back, but the 15-bit Workbench part was helpful! For some reason, that hadn't dawned on me, despite all the full-screen programs using 15bit modes. :-)