Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You thought the X1000 was overpriced?  (Read 5752 times)

Description:

Offline ToddH

Re: You thought the X1000 was overpriced?
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »
One of my other hobbies is home theater and I can tell you now the case they are using is nowhere close to $1000. I looked into buying that exact case for a home theater project and the price I got was somewhere around $100+shipping if I remember correctly. I imagine if bought in larger qualities then the buyer would receive a discount. If he's paying these outrageous prices for parts he's doomed.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
Quote from: ToddH;660648
One of my other hobbies is home theater and I can tell you now the case they are using is nowhere close to $1000. I looked into buying that exact case for a home theater project and the price I got was somewhere around $100+shipping if I remember correctly. I imagine if bought in larger qualities then the buyer would receive a discount. If he's paying these outrageous prices for parts he's doomed.

I imagine its less paying 1000 dollars for it, and more charging 1000 dollars for it.

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 06:32:05 PM »
If somebody really has to purchase a computer with a $25,000 price tag, I imagine they will want to acquire it from a large multinational that offers support and warranty, not some obscure little computer company that will likely fade into oblivion as Commodore Gaming did before.

Offline ToddH

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Quote from: runequester;660650
I imagine its less paying 1000 dollars for it, and more charging 1000 dollars for it.

Yep, probably right. Don't think this is going to end well for Barry.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 06:40:53 PM »
I tend to defend C-USA.  Not because I like them or intend to buy them, but because I think the hate tends to be exaggerated..

But $25k?????  Seriously???
And you're calling it an Amiga??  No way...

Call it a Mac IIFX reborn, maybe.  That thing was off the charts price wise when it was released..

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 06:41:08 PM »
Quote from: runequester;660639
25 grand worth of computer

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105799

Yeah, 32 cores in total and 64Gig of RAM, not to mention that having worked with dells rack mounted servers myself I have to say they are a bloody joy for accessibility.

Do CUSA think they can compete with this? No chance.

They need to add something amazing to the mix if they want a bit of this pie and an Amiga sticker on the front just isn't it.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »
As another point of comparison, a 12 core Mac with 6 gigs of RAM is 5000 it seems.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro?mco=MTcyMTgwNTQ

Offline danwoodTopic starter

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;660614
The only USP I can see so far is a ridiculous price tag...?

Not much of a USP, Apple have had that one boxed off for at least 15 years.

I think the bigger telling-point here is:

"We are not planning on competing with Dell ,emachine, and the rest....
Commodore Amiga lineup will be geared for prosumer/pro/business-industrial users."

If he doesn't think Dell play in the pro/business markets, he is totally clueless about the landscape of the industry.  Clue Barry... they own it pretty much, you'd be hard pressed to find an office in the world not running Dell gear on all their desks.

Sadly he really does think that companies will be falling over themselves to buy his gear, simply because it has the Commodore or Amiga sticker on the casing, again very out of touch, it is virtually forgotten or seen as a retro brand by most of the world now, it would be taken as seriously as Sinclair or Altair names are today, most people would likely laugh at the notion.

I think reality will hit very hard soon.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:03:21 PM by danwood »

Offline danwoodTopic starter

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »
Quote from: TheMud;660643

Anyway ... For his languese he should have a punch in his face. Think his rude !

He should certainly ask for a refund from Charm School.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »
Just ordered a complete virtual & redundant server infrastructure (small scale) for ~30k€ yesterday.

What are those guys thinking anyone would do with a system for 25k? Completely bananas.

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »
Quote from: dammy;660610
No, starting is about $2000 (AIO) which is cheaper then what is being offered in multi-core by A-EON.  If you go with bang:buck ratio against A-EON, it's not even close..

Once the X1000 is released I'm willing to bet if someone decided to sell theirs after say 2-4 years, it will retain much more of it's value than any Commodore branded PC released at the same time. I sold my AmigaOne XE last year for £650 on eBay, I imagine much higher spec PC's from 2005 selling on eBay for next to nothing today.

I think the X1000 will be more than sufficient for running AmigaOS and any applications likely to be available for it in the foreseeable future, and will likely hold much more of it's value when the time comes to upgrade, so in my eyes likely offers much better bang:buck ratio in the long term.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:11:03 PM by Akiko »

Offline spirantho

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 08:21:51 PM »
The difference will be that the A1 won't be obsolete, the C=USA machines will be, because while we're still running our own software on our own OS, the C=USA machine will have to keep up with other Linux/Windows systems. In 5 years, the A1 will still be high-end to us Amiga users, and any x86 box will be considered ancient.
For proof of that you just need to look at the prices of OS4 hardware compared to the equivalent age x86 boxes.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »
Quote from: desiv;660659
I tend to defend C-USA.  Not because I like them or intend to buy them, but because I think the hate tends to be exaggerated..

But $25k?????  Seriously???
And you're calling it an Amiga??  No way...

Call it a Mac IIFX reborn, maybe.  That thing was off the charts price wise when it was released..

desiv

Well, if VICs and basic C64x are their low end, Ultimate C64x medium price now they want to go high end.

However, with all the mind tricks and propaganda of Commodore and Amiga continuation and revival, if it can pull out money for up to $1000 computer,
hardly it can compete to high end market - its no longer going against AmigaOne, Natami etc. retro mania, but against Dell, IBM, high end Apple etc.
Even if budnled with CommodoreOS and Windows 7.

Better if they made A1200 look a like with some affordable AMD CPU and GFX.

But they have the plan of their own.

Such policies will either kill em or make em rich.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 09:08:30 PM »
Now, come on... TO BE FAIR.... you can hit that price point with a 12 core mac pro (what the REAL pros use in video/photo editing) if you simply add EVERY UPGRADE YOU CAN.  Thats 4 512G SSDs raided, twin video cards, extra keyboards, display adapters for the macbook air you'll probably buy with it, etc etc.

It should be CAKE for commodore to walk in and snatch the candy away from the big boys, what with their proven track record and close ties with disney and all.  I bet the next steaming pile to come out of disney studios (tangled, anyone?) will be done on CUSA ameeguhs.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »
Quote from: vox;660693
Such policies will either kill em or make em rich.
Hint: it sure as hell ain't gonna make 'em rich.

But hey, I've been waiting for a spectacular flameout like this since around the time Barry started getting angry with people for not thinking that renting an office in a strip mall made him Big Cheese in the retrocomputing world.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 22, 2011, 09:44:36 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;660684
The difference will be that the A1 won't be obsolete, the C=USA machines will be, because while we're still running our own software on our own OS, the C=USA machine will have to keep up with other Linux/Windows systems. In 5 years, the A1 will still be high-end to us Amiga users, and any x86 box will be considered ancient.
For proof of that you just need to look at the prices of OS4 hardware compared to the equivalent age x86 boxes.

Jeez...only in OS4 land is ineffectiveness and obsolescence considered a plus.